Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Hau_ruck" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 3rd 2014

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Sunday, February 1st 2015, 6:13am

Shotgun attachments

so i've been doing pretty well lately with the M1014 using:
irons
full choke
buckshot or dart depending on range of the map
ergo grip

im not sure with the grip which one would be best. i figured moving accuracy would be important for close quarters however im not sure if angled would work well too. does anyone know how well shotguns are affected by these attachments?

i tried asking on gamefaqs but my post oddly disappeared :(

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(10,156)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Sunday, February 1st 2015, 6:26am

Shotguns currently suck with whatever you slap on so pick your poison.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

"Skill" may indeed be the most magical of words. Chant it well enough and any desire can be yours.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Date of registration
: Jan 15th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Sunday, February 1st 2015, 6:30am

Depends on the SG whether the ergo or angled grip is better. For everything pump action it's a no-brainer, ergo, semi-autos get more fuzzy, the SIAGA-12k and M1014 don't have too bad recoil and the angled isn't worth it to me but that's a personal preference, the DBV is way too high though and really befits from an angled grip. I don't have enough playing time with the other SG to give a recommendation though.

Watcher-45

He's watching...

(758)

Date of registration
: May 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Sunday, February 1st 2015, 8:22am

Depends on the SG whether the ergo or angled grip is better. For everything pump action it's a no-brainer, ergo, semi-autos get more fuzzy, the SIAGA-12k and M1014 don't have too bad recoil and the angled isn't worth it to me but that's a personal preference, the DBV is way too high though and really befits from an angled grip. I don't have enough playing time with the other SG to give a recommendation though.

You can't put a grip on pump actions...

I experimented with the M1014 using the ergo, AFG, and stubby and I found the AFG was the most noticeable improvement. The amount of spread and cone the shotguns have I find the ergo/vfg doesn't make much difference at the ranges you'll be using shot to it's greatest effect. Likely the cone deviation exceeds the spread deviation, but the shotguns actually do have pretty good moving spread as is. They have a base spread of 0.1 with a moving modifier of 0.8, and by comparison ARs have a base spread of 0.2 with a moving modifier of 1.0, so the ARs start off less accurate and are a lot less accurate on the move. The stubby I thought would be useful when mag dumping, but honestly your spread never outruns your cone so it's pretty negligible.
The AFG does reduce recoil and makes the M1014 shoot very flat and easy to keep on target. So that's what I primarily use.

If you are running slugs I'd definitely suggest the ergo/vfg, because you will see a big benefit to the spread on the move at that point. If you don't find the recoil hard to control, which admittedly it's not, then the ergo/vfg will still be a benefit, but try the AFG and see how you do.

I also suggest running flechettes and modified choke. I've found that flechettes + mod have comparable cone to buck + full, but you don't get as bad a hip-fire detriment. It's usable out to a fairly modest distance, too. Plenty of times I've just taken pot shots thinking "it'll never make it that far", but I snag a kill in a couple of shots.
I've never found flechette to be inferior in killing power compared to Buck, as it still has over 100 damage per shot at min distance, and you get the bonus of penetration so I pull off more double kills with flech.

Plus, if you play like I do with shotguns (charging in head first without regard to your own well being, going for fast and violent flanks and back rages) half the time you don't even wait for the perfect shot aimed at center mass. The front sight passes within a degree or so of the target, you shoot. In that case, I find I miss a lot more with the full choke because the cone is too tight and not as many pellets connect.
So, in that sense, for an aggressive run-n-gun style of play I'd stick with a modified since it extends your effective range significantly over a cylinder bore but keeps it very twitchable. The full choke is just too accurate when ADS and not accurate enough from the hip, so I find it slows me down when I'm ADS and it screws me over if I am caught reloading and have to just blast one off...
If you are a more defensive shotgunner or take your time navigating the map, you might do well with a full. All you can do is try modified on my suggestion and see if you notice a difference. It all boils down to your play style...

I also like running Holo sights on my shotguns. Actually, I really like the irons on the 870 for some reason, but I run a Holo on my M1014. The ring around the dot in the center is a decent indicator of shot-cone, so it helps me keep track of all my pellets.
All bike, all the time!

Spoiler Spoiler

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Watcher-45" (Feb 1st 2015, 8:34am)

Date of registration
: Jan 15th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Sunday, February 1st 2015, 8:55am

I could have sworn the SPAS-12 has a grip slot, if it doesn't then it has a built in ergo anyway so no change. Seeing as he's a console player like myself though I'm going to have to disagree with the modified choke over the full choke. The aim assist system is ripe for abuse if you know what your doing with SGs and full choke is vital to maximize the OHK potential. Snapping to ADS and taking the shot right as your sights are fully up allows for near certain OHKs with full choke + dart 870, out till about 20m.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, February 1st 2015, 11:41am

thanks everyone for the helpful info. im gonna give the mod choke/ darts a go. seems like a solid idea. i wanted to use darts because of the penetration but with full choke it just felt too hampered up close so this is a good compromise.

i was under the impression shotguns mostly sucked in bf4 but ive found there are some good uses for them and there is nothing quite as satisfying as a OHK point blank with a shotgun or those occasions where you get the perfect flank and just destroy a whole squad. shotguns also seem to work well with smoke grenades which i use religiously. they really help close the gap in long range situations. combined with a TUGS for best effect.

also a quick question. ive been jumping between the Grach and the M9 alot lately for my mid range pistol to pair with the shotgun. the M9 seems better in some ways in the stat comparison but the Grach has faster recoil decrease (20 vs 12) is that a major difference? what exactly does that number represent?

also is the heavy barrel good on pistols? ive almost got it on both and have been looking forward to better accuracy but im worried it might end up sucking

Date of registration
: Apr 7th 2014

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 2

Sunday, February 1st 2015, 1:44pm

I like the M9 more but most people prefer the MP443. also, HB FTW.
H&K weapons FTW! HK416, MP5, MG4, USP.45, G36(C/K), L85A2, MP7! All H&K FTW !Now you may be thinking to your self, "isn't the L85A2 by manufactured by BAE systems?" well it's not. Any weapon in the SA80 family that is LxxA2 means it has gotten H&K upgrades, any weapon that is LxxA1 is first issue. "'The more you know!' 'And knowing is half the Battle!'" My XBOX One stats Below. Quite good at everything except sniping. I F**KIN HATE SNIPING. I am a sh*t sniper. Also, I give you Health and Ammo like the F*CKIN game depends on it because it probably does to an extent.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, February 1st 2015, 2:28pm

yeah i like the M9 more too. for some reason since i started using shotguns im getting a ton of hate mail. why are people annoyed at me for using guns that most people consider crap? they are clearly balanced with strengths and weaknesses

Date of registration
: Feb 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Sunday, February 1st 2015, 2:44pm

yeah i like the M9 more too. for some reason since i started using shotguns im getting a ton of hate mail. why are people annoyed at me for using guns that most people consider crap? they are clearly balanced with strengths and weaknesses

think about bolt actions,ucav dmr and so on, why do they get hated so much even though they're mostly underpowered or extremely hard to use?
because they annoy people, a one-shot kill is seen as annoying by the mind of the scrub, the sound dmrs and bolt action make is annoying for them, and they don't like being killed without being able to return fire(also why headglitching is hated, but that's a bit on a whole other level)
"I'm just a loot whore."

stuff mostly unrelated to BF4 that interests nobody

bf4
on 13/05/2016
23rd M320FB user on pc(13/05/16)
rush mode score RANK:2794 TOP:2% OUT OF:215398
obliteration mode scoreRANK:994 TOP:1% OUT OF:159466
handgun medals RANK:2236 TOP:2% OUT OF:143874
longest headshot RANK:9512 TOP:4% OUT OF:257589
recon score RANK:10871 TOP:4% OUT OF:274899
general score per minute RANK:10016 TOP:4% OUT OF:294774

bf3