Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Sunday, October 12th 2014, 8:22am

While I haven't touched the Defensive of Offensive trees since I unlocked the class-specific ones, I would like an actual, technical answer as a Hardcore player. Before telling people that "Defensive sucks" and to "use something better", remember that this is very useful information since other people are undoubtedly using it.

And Motions Sensors are amazing in Hardcore, anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't learned how to use the single most important tool you have: the big map.
Who Enjoys, Wins

CobaltRose

I'll be there... around every corner... in every empty room...

(1,219)

Date of registration
: Nov 8th 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Sunday, October 12th 2014, 9:04am

While I haven't touched the Defensive of Offensive trees since I unlocked the class-specific ones, I would like an actual, technical answer as a Hardcore player. Before telling people that "Defensive sucks" and to "use something better", remember that this is very useful information since other people are undoubtedly using it.
Do I really have to spell it out? People can crunch their own numbers... -sigh-
Thanks to the lower health of 60 in Hardcore, most guns take less shots to kill: DMR's need two to the body, 7.62mm automatics need two to three, etc. In the case of -- for example -- the M16a4 with its 24-18 damage model, it takes three to four shots to kill.

Like Noctyrne said before, the Armor perk gives the user a 7% damage reduction (factor of .93). However, since 24 x .93 = 22.32, it doesn't affect the BTK up close, since you need to at least be dealing 20 damage to get a 3-shot kill (basic math). The only thing Armor affects in Hardcore is where the damage drops to that 4-shot kill, and this applies to most other weapons -- even the machine pistols.

Where this scenario changes, however, is with the JS2, MP7, P90, QSZ-92 and Five seveN. They deal 20 (4.6x30mm and 5.8x21mm) and 21 damage (5.7x28mm), respectively, which when slapped with that 7% reduction come out to 18.6 and 19.53. It's not enough for a three-shot kill to the body, but the PDW's don't really suffer from that since it's easy to let another bullet loose when their fire rates are 900 and 950rpm, respectively.

The other major damage-reducing perk in the tree, Flak, works the same way as the first example: not sure of the numbers on this (don't want to search up the numbers: I wanna go to bed, but MUST FINISH THIS POST... :sleeping: ), but the most it's going to do is make your chances of surviving an explosion only marginally better, thanks to that lower health and the fact that a lot of explosives deal well over 60 damage for their inner radius (exceptions: M320 3GL, XM25 to name a couple). FRAG-12's aren't really affected either, since their inner splash damage is 25: throw in a direct impact or two plus the fact that there's no health regen in Hardcore, and the Defensive perk setup isn't going to do jack shit against that kind of assault.

It might save you here and there, but the extra ammo and fall damage reduction that the Offensive tree brings make it a more worthwhile choice over the Defensive one.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Memorable Quotes

I once tried to burn a bridge, but due to the half-assed levolution implementation it kept standing up just fine.

Compared to the MTAR, the PDR has the TTK of your average pack of cigarettes.

The World Champion, on the Tactical Light:
"Oh don't mind me, I'm just out of ammo and I'll just POCKET SUN!!!!"

What can't be changed can be banned.

I'm completely serious. Well, seriously insane actually :P

If only more people left the wheel chair, adjustable hospital bed, and crutches behind and played HC. (aka Regen, Minimap, Killcam)

Natalia Poklonskaya:
Putin the cute in prosecute since 2014.

I can't look at my own avatar without having to pee. GG Me. GG.

I swear to god if you reply with a picture of the AEK I'll mail you a buttplug shaped like one.

The one time when "it's only three inches" is a good thing.

How do you guys control your FAMAS burst length since it fires its mag in just 1,5 seconds))
I consider each magazine a burst. :/

This is Symthic, we don't do "feels" around here ;)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, October 12th 2014, 9:59am

That's pretty much what I was expecting, thanks Cobalt. :)

It also used to affect the Val, but since it got lowered to 29 damage it's now never two hit kill / one headshot anyway.
Who Enjoys, Wins

Date of registration
: Dec 7th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Sunday, October 12th 2014, 6:15pm

Defensive is actually pretty useful in hard-core, since it protects against getting one shotted by long range sniper fire. And snipers love to play hardcore. :-)
bob

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, October 13th 2014, 5:04am

Defensive is actually pretty useful in hard-core, since it protects against getting one shotted by long range sniper fire. And snipers love to play hardcore. :-)

There's no way it makes a serious difference, they drop to 59 damage. Past 100m/150m they're two body shots, just like Normal/Classic.
Who Enjoys, Wins

Watcher-45

He's watching...

(758)

Date of registration
: May 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Monday, October 13th 2014, 8:43am

The defensive perk only makes for about a 5 meter reduction in terminal effect on bolt actions, its not worth it.

I'd rather run faster and have more ammo than have the ability to stand a mere 15 feet closer...
All bike, all the time!

Spoiler Spoiler