Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "ARE5R06" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 14th 2014

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Monday, March 12th 2018, 6:37pm

Opinions on Aim Assist on PC

Hi guys,

after some time absence from this forum I came up with an idea and I would like to hear your opinion on it...

I would like to see the AimAssist from Consoles to appear for PC as well.

I think this is good because the good players with good aim will always be superior, but it moves the gameplay focus more towards positioning. 2ndly it's less frustrating for casual gamers like me with very imperfect aim to get substantially penalized for not having perfectioned aim.

What are your opinions / arguments / counterarguments ?
still playin' Motorstorm

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Monday, March 12th 2018, 9:34pm

I thought there already was aim assist on pc if you are using a controller?

When using the mouse as an input device, there should be utterly no help in aiming. There is literally zero point in playing a PVP shooter if the software does the aiming for you.

The only reason aim-assist even exists is basically because devs acknowledge that the game controller is a garbage input method for FPS, but we're all stuck with it.

It is ok to be bad at games. You can still be useful. The point of most things (in life as well as games) is to ensure equal opportunity, not equal outcome.

Date of registration
: May 24th 2012

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Wednesday, March 14th 2018, 1:05am

Slowdown aim assist only hurts your aim with a mouse.

Snap-to-target should never, ever be implemented for KBM players, and there are good arguments for why it shouldnt be for controller players too.

Why do you think anyone here would be for anything that's a hit to the skill gap of an already questionably balanced/skill-rewarding game?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "I Eat Playdoh" (Mar 14th 2018, 2:39am)

Darktan13

Unhappy Camper

(4,391)

Date of registration
: Feb 13th 2012

Battlelog:

Wednesday, March 14th 2018, 4:03am

I wouldn't be opposed to a degree of bullet magnetism. Point-and-click adventure games aren't a particularly interesting "skill" for the game to be testing. Having played against teams like Eyeballers in 5v5. what makes them stand out is not their ability to point and click.

Quoted from "J0hn-Stuart-Mill"

EMPOWER EMPOWER EMPOWER

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, March 14th 2018, 10:32pm

I wouldn't be opposed to a degree of bullet magnetism. Point-and-click adventure games aren't a particularly interesting "skill" for the game to be testing. Having played against teams like Eyeballers in 5v5. what makes them stand out is not their ability to point and click.

That's like saying what makes an top tier RTS or MOBA player isn't their APM.

You don't make it to top tier by having terrible fundamentals, but if you've got the fundamentals you need all the extra something beyond that.

If you can't output the APM, you're just never going to be top tier. Same goes with FPS and the whole shooting thing.

What benefit could you ever get out of diluting fundamental gameplay mechanics? It's not like the one thing FPS games need is to make the S trivial.

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Thursday, March 15th 2018, 2:15am

All forms of aim assist are bad in first person shooters.
Who Enjoys, Wins

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,821)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Thursday, March 15th 2018, 2:17am

What about lock ons? For example, the ARM is bullet magnetism.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, March 15th 2018, 2:38am

What about lock ons? For example, the ARM is bullet magnetism.

My overall opinion of the lock-ons in BF is that they result in rather shallow gameplay.

The lock ons are powerful but they are generally indefinitely countered by a countermeasure accessory that totally nullifies them and has a very high up-time (IR smoke). Or a countermeasure that totally nullifies them long enough to outrange any follow on shot (Flares/ECM).

Or, they turn the player into a sitting duck that can easy be counterfired (MTB or lav vs lone infantry with javelins).

I don't think they ever struck a balance of 1v1 lock-on infantry versus vehicle that was satisfying. In fact the meta evolved such that the lock ons were inferior to the dumbfired or manually steered options and were never used. And thus the vehicles were free to use the other countermeasures. IR smoke just wasn't meaningfully used because people rarely faced lock-on barrages they couldn't deal with by shooting or moving. The Stigla was basically deprecated to uselessness because you could put that launcher slot to way better average use on the ground.

Where lock-ons got really good was team synergy with designation and lock-on launcher. But that required 1 + N players to work. In those situations the combo was simply overpowered. It let you brute force enemy vehicles who had little option to counter since you could spam. In many cases it just wasn't possible to counter: laser guidance versus choppers for the longest time.

All in all not a deeply satisfying addition to the franchise. I think it was an important addition to represent modern warfare, but I think the implementation was overly simplistic to produce something really, really meaningful.

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,821)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Thursday, March 15th 2018, 2:52am

That's interesting considering the interaction between the BF3 Stinger and air vehicles.

@Labby

had a detailed explanation for this a while back.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Date of registration
: Dec 3rd 2014

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Thursday, March 15th 2018, 3:15am

I think this is one thing I like about BF1 so much. Since there are no lock ons everything has to be aimed manually. So they just threw machineguns and autocannons all over every air vehicle. Having to actually shoot down other planes with the rear machinegun on an attack plane as both vehicles dipped, dived and dodged was infinitely more satisfying than any air combat I ever played in BF3 or 4. Shame they nerfed the airplane MGs into the ground though.