Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,282)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Friday, April 28th 2017, 11:35am

While it may sound surprising, apparently they only just realized some countries are unable to get good latency even inside their own borders.

They're considering upping the limit. As for a solid number, I have no idea.

Thanks for the info. I second the idea that stands behind this. It is obvious though that with a current ping limit as Oscar pointed out many countries will just be left out. I guess there must be a difference in ping of 100 in the US considering on your connection and location. The same is true for Russia, Australia and so forth.
Judging from the video, symthic would potentially hurt by this the most, as would people that play in areas with low player count. I wonder if there are any other larger international communities like symthic. I mean I played a bit with Viper, Knetsch, Iota and a couple of Europeans, I also happened to play with a couple of NA guys and the ping was bearable, I would not do so of course if it was as bad as Oscar has experienced. However it is a marginal experience I say.

What are the advantages though of playing out of your region? Personally I always do way worse when out of region and/or with a ping of +100. As I understand it, you can indeed die behind cover on your screen when your ping is rather high. Even with extreme ping diferences, where all players are then affected by rubberbanding and stuff. It never occured to me that it was intentional in previous Battlefield Games to have an advantage.

Anyhow, here I am sure DICE will do some adjustments. I would like to see a ping kicker for private servers and maybe even for some official servers as well, as with 64 players there are bound to be a few out of region players in every round. I would not want to prevent the guy from Bangladesh to play on Aussie servers though.

Edit: Wow, Reddit takes it's toll on Devs as well. That reply is indeed very honest and direct. :D I see the point, but I have never seen a guy with a higher ping having an awesome time and farming everyone else. I have seen some of this in BF1, but I put it down to the mechanics of shooting, so what changed?

Oscar

Sona tank jungle

(1,948)

Date of registration
: May 30th 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Friday, April 28th 2017, 12:11pm

I can try and get some footage of 150-170 ping if you'd like Vincent.

Granted, the example above should be the exception if you're playing in-region, but it still happened to me enough that I could capture such a ridiculous example of it (and not just a few bullets seemingly not landing).

While we haven't had a ping counter on console until this patch, I had yet to experience all the mentioned cases of "high ping players abusing said ping" in over 430 hours. Yes, every now and then I would die seemingly out of position, like when I think I'd already turned a corner or similar, yet those remained in the minority of occurrences.

In return, as someone who plays out of region every now and then, I'd never seen high ping as an advantage. EU to US East was doable but I could definitely tell that I was at a disadvantage against the locals.
When I passed 200 ping (I get an average of 240-270 to US West), I would struggle to even get a few kills and any CQB situations outside of knifing someone from the back became almost impossible to pull off because if just die before my shots were "registered" or whatever.

I sometimes game with someone from Lebanon whose Internet isn't anything great like mine. If he can't reach under 100 ping to Europe then tough luck I guess? Idk, really fucked situation.
Bro of Legion, the lurker ninja mod | Tesla FTW | RNG is evil.

Quoted from "MsMuchLove"

I find majority of the complaints I hear about this game somehow never appear in my games.

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,612)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 17

Friday, April 28th 2017, 12:21pm

I figure DICE collects all kinds of data from MP/SP games (e.g. the deathlocations in campaign missions), so there could be some statistical evidence related to ping and player's performance which is then used as a basis for this tweak.

@Oscar

Your video shows warnings for high-ish latency and bad framerate/latency variation. Maybe they did also have some effect? At least for me hitting is very wonky when I see similar red markings.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Oscar

Sona tank jungle

(1,948)

Date of registration
: May 30th 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Friday, April 28th 2017, 12:31pm

@Miffyli

If my understanding is correct, top symbol (yellow) indicates a ping over 90ms but lower 200ms
Middle Icon should be frame rate warning.
Bottom icon might be packet loss? I'm unsure, and I really hope it was just some occasional packet loss in my end (as far as playing in your own region is concerned), one thing that is clear is that the symbols were for the most part stable during the clip, yet the last target was impossible to hit at such a short distance.
Bro of Legion, the lurker ninja mod | Tesla FTW | RNG is evil.

Quoted from "MsMuchLove"

I find majority of the complaints I hear about this game somehow never appear in my games.

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,282)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Friday, April 28th 2017, 12:59pm

No need to hassle yourself with high pings anymore and tape it. I just wanted to see how it can possibly be abused.

I did have some jittering people that were hard to hit, and even got killed by them from time to time, but I have never seen it as an advantage, because if I can not hit him, how hard must the game be for him? I have more issues with hitting people that are in some kind of vaulting animation or similar.

I also question the reasoning behind it. Seemingly they want to avoid ping exploiters on their servers, so there is where they saw a problem. This is a negative reasoning. I would approach it differently like: Some people play out of region and at a disadvantage, how do we deal with this? That is more positive and bit PR-friendlier.

I still have not indentified one guy in the last 6 years of BF that played out of region to screw others. What I have seen is people accidentally or out necessity join out of region servers, or guys that just want to play with their friends. I see no harm or criminal intent in this and is therefore a non-issue for me. However it seems like DICE thinks this is somewhat of a crime.

Date of registration
: Jul 18th 2013

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Friday, April 28th 2017, 3:08pm

As someone with really fast internet in NYC, maybe you can all call me uncaring, but just buy better internet, or move if that's not an option.

EDIT; if you want to play out of region, because your friends. Too bad, make new ones.

Sure, maybe the 100 ms latency restrictions is a bit on the high end, but I haven't had a ping above 100 ms since I was on 56k back in the 90's playing Rogue Spear on the MSN Zone. I know high speed internet is a luxury in some parts of the world, but if you are in Europe, US, Japan, or South Korea, you shouldn't be having high pings. I deliberately choose servers in my region, I don't play US West, precisely because my ping is going to be over 100.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "dwojtk" (Apr 28th 2017, 3:15pm)

Date of registration
: Dec 2nd 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Friday, April 28th 2017, 3:15pm

Yes, because clearly it's my internet's fault for having near equal ping to both NA West and East (~90ms)

Date of registration
: Jul 18th 2013

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Friday, April 28th 2017, 3:23pm

I don't want to play with kids with high pings. So, these restrictions, great for me. It'd be better if it locked you out if your ping exceeded some threshold, but this is almost as good as it will deter people from playing with high pings. I'm probably very naive, and someone will tell me that they have no choice in ISP, and so are stuck with bad internet, because gov't regulations or outdated infrastructure. That's terrible, I do feel bad about it. But, its not my problem. And if I was living somewhere else, I'd probably be on your side, but since I'm I'm not in a setting where my internet is slow. I don't care about these restrictions.

Date of registration
: Mar 27th 2012

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Friday, April 28th 2017, 3:42pm

As someone with really fast internet in NYC, maybe you can all call me uncaring, but just buy better internet, or move if that's not an option.

EDIT; if you want to play out of region, because your friends. Too bad, make new ones.

Sure, maybe the 100 ms latency restrictions is a bit on the high end, but I haven't had a ping above 100 ms since I was on 56k back in the 90's playing Rogue Spear on the MSN Zone. I know high speed internet is a luxury in some parts of the world, but if you are in Europe, US, Japan, or South Korea, you shouldn't be having high pings. I deliberately choose servers in my region, I don't play US West, precisely because my ping is going to be over 100.
Im in the same boat as you, right over the bay from NYC, verizon FIOS internet and pings are sub 30. But thats not an option for everyone, some places dont have a better internet to buy. I dont think the issue with high ping players is the guys around 150 anyway, i think its the guys 250 + so raising the limit some is fair .

Date of registration
: Dec 2nd 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Friday, April 28th 2017, 3:44pm

If you seriously believe someone between 100-160ms has an obnoxious high ping advantage, I honestly don't know what to say.