Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Rawrgle" started this thread

Date of registration
: Mar 5th 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Thursday, June 11th 2015, 11:34am

Favourite Shotgun setups post Spring patch

Just as in the PDW thread, I'm interested as to what shotgun setups people are using now.
I think the shotgun balance has been very nicely done and in the right circumstances they are a joy to use!

The only shotguns I ever really touched before were the Hawk for better 1HK capability and the Saiga for better range.
So far I've been sticking with my old favourites with massive success but I look forward to try your suggestions:

Hawk, Full Choke, Buckshot
The best 1HK capability. You have to time your shots well but if you find an unaware pack from behind you can take down 3-4 before someone realises. I've also tried flechette and whilst I realise it should have better range the 1-2HK capability just seems less reliable to me.

Saiga, Full Choke, Flechette
Magazine fed (a personal preference), decent fire rate and accuracy and a good pellet count. Mostly 2HK with the occasional bonus 1HK (probably wounded guys) make this my go to shotgun for slightly longer ranges than the Hawk is good for.

I'm interested in what you guys use and with what attachments, how many HK they are and at what range.
Have you found a good med-long range shotgun? Have you found any point in the other barrel attachments apart from Full Choke?
Do you find the shotguns that can take grip attachments have any real advantages over those that don't?

Also I don't run with one but I see so many that do that it had me wondering if I was wrong not to, does laser help (non-slug) shotguns at all?

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Rawrgle" (Jun 12th 2015, 10:18am)

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,568)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 16

Thursday, June 11th 2015, 3:34pm

Yes laser "helps" with the non-slugs by doing the same it does for every other weapon: HIP spread is smaller, which for multi-pellet shotgun means the middle point of pellet spread is inside smaller area.

870 with IRNV and laser. Always done that, even with "bad IRNVs" and so worth. Didn't like chockes at all when I gave them a try for few games.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration
: Feb 19th 2014

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Thursday, June 11th 2015, 4:08pm

DBV-12 with frag rounds for sure. Its got a large-ish magazine and fires quickly. Those are the only 2 things that frags need in order to be usable. It also doesnt need other attachments, although the chokes just wont do any good for frags.
In modern USA, the Pig roasts you!

Who loves a good ole custom chainsaw!

Spoiler Spoiler

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,218)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Thursday, June 11th 2015, 4:09pm

I felt they overdid it, and I reckon we will see a nerf. I played the two remaining pump actions since the patch, and truthfully they do work better now than ever and are, as far as I can see quite balancem though I OHKed a couple of guys at ranges I would have not thought possible, that was most likely luck though.
The issues with the pump actions were the inconsistency and that was fixed, they are still a more unforgiving weapon class because of their low ROF.

However the semi-autos where perfectly fine before. They have a much higher firerate are therefore more forgiving and have high CQB damage output while being able to equip grips enhancing their mobile niche. Now they increased the pellet spread and made them even more forgiving. There lies a quite a balance problem for me now, mainly on infantry focused maps.

Date of registration
: Apr 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 17

Thursday, June 11th 2015, 4:15pm

Pellet cone was decreased.
[Aristocrat's Shoes]
TLDR -
Teamwork is where players function by themselves, but their effectiveness is multiplied when they work together. Not a checklist of "did we bring a healer so we can start playing?"

Date of registration
: Jun 23rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Thursday, June 11th 2015, 4:16pm

I felt they overdid it, and I reckon we will see a nerf. I played the two remaining pump actions since the patch, and truthfully they do work better now than ever and are, as far as I can see quite balancem though I OHKed a couple of guys at ranges I would have not thought possible, that was most likely luck though.
The issues with the pump actions were the inconsistency and that was fixed, they are still a more unforgiving weapon class because of their low ROF.

However the semi-autos where perfectly fine before. They have a much higher firerate are therefore more forgiving and have high CQB damage output while being able to equip grips enhancing their mobile niche. Now they increased the pellet spread and made them even more forgiving. There lies a quite a balance problem for me now, mainly on infantry focused maps.

What are you talking about? Going by the stats, pellet spread on automatics was reduced by 30-40%, requiring more accuracy to get pellets on target.

Going by what the bullet pirnts of the pellets showed, spread on semis was cut by about two thirds, making them much more aim dependent and rewarding instead of spraying half the wall with a loose cone.
Zormau - Battlelog / Battlefield 4

Memorable quotes not taken yet:

Of course, this ignores the non-constant cross-sectional first moment of area across the chest as well as non-constant material properties of the boob; it would be difficult to perform a more detailed analysis (as in, I'd have to have a shape function AND I'd need to derive a function for elastic modulus as a function of lateral breast coordinate) but whatever. It's 2am and I'm lazy.

I always believed science should be very hands on experience.

You should also answer this question I had posed in that thread: Would you be willing to pay your surgeon more if he was going to use a chainsaw for the opening incision of surgery? Clearly using a chainsaw isn't truly suited for surgery but that doesn't really matter. If he's "skilled" enough to be able to use the wrong tools of the trade, he should be rewarded for that skill right?

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,218)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, June 11th 2015, 4:40pm

Of course. There are still more pellets. The problems with shotguns before where the spread and cone mechanics where you would somehow miss a vital part of the pellets, due to the "double dispersion" to put it simple. I suspect one knows to put the crosshair on the target, that is not the issue.
So when you decrease cone and/or spread, while you increase the pellet count you will increase the accuracy. Add to that a higher rate of fire (everybody can miss from time to time of course) you will have a much more forgiving weapon while only taking away a little amount of damage potential. I reckon they should have left the semi-autos alone or gave it a smaller pellet increase. They are easier to use, after all.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, June 11th 2015, 5:05pm

15 m OHK range sogut
[Aristocrat's Shoes]
TLDR -
Teamwork is where players function by themselves, but their effectiveness is multiplied when they work together. Not a checklist of "did we bring a healer so we can start playing?"

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,218)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, June 11th 2015, 5:18pm

Yes of course combined with a 200 ROF, the therefore improved range and the average combat distance on maps where one would readily use a shotgun.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, June 11th 2015, 5:19pm

You are complaining that the DAO can keep up with an AEK up to around 30 m.
[Aristocrat's Shoes]
TLDR -