Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Jack-Crysallis" started this thread

Date of registration
: Aug 31st 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Tuesday, April 22nd 2014, 9:18am

When is Heavy Barrel really necessary?

I have ben reading some discussions lately regarding wheter or not the HB should or should not be used.
Some people say that with perfect or at least good recoil compesation it is the best atachment for long range.
Others argue that the compesator is better and doesnt affect the overall performance to much.
Both atqchments have theirs downs, one by increasing overral recoil and the other by increasing spread increase.
But again opnions divide saying the spread increase is negible and others saying that 50% more recoil is easy to compensate.
As opnions are very divided i wanted to know if the HB does get useless at some range or in any especific case and if it does, which is the best barrel atachment and why (even if it is the flash hider).
Sorry any errors sent this from my tablet.
Thanks in advance.

Either war is obsolete or men are.
- R. Buckminster Fuller

---BF3---

----BF4----

Witchalok

Grounded in reality

(301)

Date of registration
: Mar 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Tuesday, April 22nd 2014, 9:52am

Well, if you know the formulas (I don't) you can start calculating at what ranges the spread of the weapon becomes a hindrance.
I would argue that for most weapons, a HB is not really needed, and the extra accuracy that you get is not worth the loss of ease of use.

Unless you are training for competitive game-play, and you need the extra accuracy to take out head-glitchers, I would say that Compensator or Muzzle Brake (and watching your burst length) is much more advised.

Date of registration
: Aug 27th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 8

Tuesday, April 22nd 2014, 10:50am

Depends on the weapon. I can't use a HB on the SCAR, it gives me too much vertical and I can't compensate for it.
On weapons like the M16,F2000, I enjoy using the heavy barrel because it gives me better performance at range on said guns.
But then again, in my opinion suppressor>any other barrel attachment. I haven't got around to using the Ace 52 with a compensator, I'm just too used to the suppressor.
Hackintosh user, european player, suppressor lover.
Latest creation

ToTheSun!

Be Creative.

(5,050)

Date of registration
: Mar 9th 2012

Reputation modifier: 19

Tuesday, April 22nd 2014, 10:56am

On weapons like the M16,F2000, I enjoy using the heavy barrel because it gives me better performance at range on said guns.

That is not true. The F2K is one of those flagrant examples which need the compensator in order to bear any semblance to an accurate gun.

Date of registration
: Nov 21st 2013

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Tuesday, April 22nd 2014, 11:08am

On console at least, I only use the heavy barrel on two of my weapons. The PDW-R and the SW40. For the PDW-R the 0.25 ADS vs 0.5 is a no brainier plus the increase recoil is very minimal at 0.39. The SW40 I've put heavy barrel on, however I have not used it extensively to decide if I like it or not. But pretty much every other weapon I personally find the increased recoil is not worth putting the heavy barrel on... I run flash hider on a lot of my guns.
"As I walk through the valley of the Shadow Of Death, I have no fear because I am the meanest mother ****er in the whole valley"
- Gen. George S. Patton

Date of registration
: Jun 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Tuesday, April 22nd 2014, 11:12am

I'm a suppressor man, myself *spits tobacco into the dirt - glares up into the sun*

But I imagine I would almost always want the attachment that mitigates the variables I have absolutely no control over, such as spread and horizontal recoil. Heavy barrel seems the least detrimental for that since horizontal recoil remains the same and the spread, more importantly, is reduced - not increased in contrast to the compensator.

But then again, I'm about as useful as a fish flailing in a desert when it comes to any vertical recoil above .29, myself *spits tobacco into the dirt - glares up into the sun*

Date of registration
: Apr 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 17

Tuesday, April 22nd 2014, 11:42am

PDR, PP2K, UMP, CZ805, QBx rifles, SAR21. That's where I'd use HB.
[Aristocrat's Shoes]
TLDR -
Teamwork is where players function by themselves, but their effectiveness is multiplied when they work together. Not a checklist of "did we bring a healer so we can start playing?"

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, April 22nd 2014, 1:20pm

That is not true. The F2K is one of those flagrant examples which need the compensator in order to bear any semblance to an accurate gun.

Te F2000 is very situational, basically any map that is not good for the SCARH, and requires me to run assault is fine for the F2000 with the HB/suppressor. Bursting will let me manage the horizontal recoil. These maps and modes are mostly CQC where the hipfire of the F2000 helps a lot compared to the SCAR. These are metro, locker, lost islands tdm/dom. I rarely play these, though.
Latest creation

ToTheSun!

Be Creative.

(5,050)

Date of registration
: Mar 9th 2012

Reputation modifier: 19

Tuesday, April 22nd 2014, 1:42pm

Te F2000 is very situational, basically any map that is not good for the SCARH, and requires me to run assault is fine for the F2000 with the HB/suppressor. Bursting will let me manage the horizontal recoil. These maps and modes are mostly CQC where the hipfire of the F2000 helps a lot compared to the SCAR. These are metro, locker, lost islands tdm/dom. I rarely play these, though.

What does that have to do with anything? Guns like the F2K are more accurate for the first few shots with a compensator. Circumstances don't make arguments.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, April 22nd 2014, 1:52pm

What does that have to do with anything? Guns like the F2K are more accurate for the first few shots with a compensator. Circumstances don't make arguments.

Yes, they do. I have tried the compensator, but with my playstyle, the HB was a better alternative. But then again, suppressor is just better than both in my opinion.
Latest creation