Symthic Forum was shut down on January 11th, 2019. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2019-01-08 at 23:28. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "Veritable" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 8th 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Monday, March 3rd 2014, 4:05am

Silenced RFB - actually not Really Freakin' Bad

Allow me to start off with a confession: I am a hipster. My BF4 "soldier" is currently #1 in my City of 700+ players for DMR kills, not because I am any good, but because I use nothing but. To further illustrate that point, also in the City Leaderboard, the top Carbine (as in, also all-kit weapons so I could have easily used them instead of DMRs) score is more than double of my current DMR score. Assault Rifles, 5x. Sniper Rifles, 2x. Shotguns, ~100 kills more. PDWs, ~600 kills more. LMGs, almost 3x. Heck, even the top Handgun scorer has nearly 1k more kills.

Within the DMR family, I searched for my niche, eventually settling upon the SCAR-H SV to mimic my paintball marker setup, with the Suppressor / Ergo Grip / Holo / Magnifier, which I used to score just over half of my current DMR (and thus, all primary weapon) kills. It is a solid choice, with the lowest amount of total H-recoil in the DMR family, is not only part of the "high damage" group but also the 0.05 ADS - Not Moving Spread "accurate" group, while the low-ish original muzzle velocity is made moot by running it with the Suppressor + subsonic ammunition combo. Finally, it is a rare sight on the Battlefield, because it is the last DMR to be unlocked and most players give up on them well before getting to the SCAR-H SV; that made my hipster heart warm and fuzzy.

The last point, unfortunately, is now no longer valid due to the latest Premium Giveaway ;( That means pretty much everyone has it now, and will probably be quite popular because it is not bad at all.

I used the QBU-88 with Heavy Barrel / Ergo Grip / eventually with 3.4x / Laser for a bit, and discovered the joys of Bullpup (which I will document below). Great weapon, but I found myself longing for the silenced setup still, and to suppress the QBU-88 means taking away its greatest benefit: its assault rifle-like muzzle velocity.

I tend to go through all the DMR threads posted on this forum, hoping to glean tips on their usage and setups that are based on stats rather than feel. A reply by shinryu to one of those threads caught my eye, where he mentioned that both the SCAR-H SV and the RFB make good silenced DMR candidates due to their low base muzzle velocity, with the SCAR-H SV being better at engaging from a static position at longer range due to its 0.05 ADS - Not Moving Spread while the RFB is for the mobile user due to Bullpup.

Also, adding to the hipster score, people who unlocked DMRs legitimately would have traveled through the RFB and definitely will not return to it, while those who benefited from the Premium Giveaway will go right to the later unlocks and overlook the RFB due to its bad reputation.

"RFB!?!?!? Really Freakin' Bad," your first reaction might be, and I don't blame you. I, like many other regular DMR users, ran away from the RFB as soon as we got enough points for the next gun in line (which is the Mk11 Mod 0), swearing to never return. However, just looking at the stats, other than the TERRIBLE 470m/s muzzle velocity, it doesn't deserve such hate.

Here then, without further ado, is my Silenced Mobile DMR setup:

RFB, with
  • Suppressor
  • Ergo Grip
  • Laser

Key stats:
  • Same 260rpm as the ACE 53 SV, Mk11 Mod 0, SCAR-H SV and SVD-12
  • 290m/s muzzle velocity, which looks bad... but consider that the RFB used to have 30% lower velocity vs. the fastest DMR (QBU-88 ), and using the Suppressor on both drops the difference to 14%
  • 45-38 damage model, same as all DMRs except for QBU-88 and SKS
  • 20+1 rounds magazine size, same as all DMRs except for SVD-12 and QBU-88
  • 105 total bullets before Ammo Perk, same as SKS and M39 EMR which is the most in the class
  • 0.5 V-Recoil, same as all DMRs except for QBU-88 and SKS (which have less) and M39 EMR (which has more)
  • 2x 1st Shot Recoil Modifier, same as all DMRs except for ACE 53 SV
  • 0.2 Right / 0.4 Right H-Recoil, which is behind the best in the class (QBU-88 and SCAR-H SV) but ahead of the extreme pull-ers (Mk11 Mod 0 and SVD-12), while being more predictable than the ACE 53 SV / M39 EMR / SKS because those weapons can pull to both sides

Now, here are the key changes which make Bullpup DMRs with Laser and Ergo Grip, and the RFB in particular, such special cookies:
  • ADS - Not Moving Spread of 0.062, more accurate than the ACE 53 SV / M39 EMR / SKS and can guarantee headshots out to 80m
  • ADS - Moving Spread of 0.412, which is best-in-class and better than even un-modified bullpup Carbines, and ahead of any Assault Rifle regardless of mods
  • Not Moving Hipfire Spreads of 2.025 (Stand) / 1.6875 (Crouch) / 1.35 (Prone), which are not just best-in-class but even approaches non-Bullpup Carbines without attachments for Stand and Crouch; please note that these numbers are with the Suppressor attached, and without they are even more impressive
  • Moving Hipfire Spreads of 2.01 (Stand) / 1.921875 (Crouch) / 1.59375 (Prone), actually beating non-Bullpup Carbines without attachments except for Prone
  • 2nd slowest non-empty reload speed at 2.5s but surprisingly the empty reload is the same as the ACE 53 SV at 3.2s and somehow faster than the M39 EMR and SKS (probably thanks to the bolt assist)

Finally, there is that being Silenced thing, which might be attributed to my play style and the low time-to-kill for 260rpm DMRs mean I need to keep myself hidden for as long as possible. It is even almost mandatory for Domination and TDM. However, if being Silenced is not your thing, use the QBU-88... everything above applies, except that the muzzle velocity jumps up to 600m/s and you get even better Not Moving Hipfire Spreads due to lack of Suppressor.

As always, I suggest using Toggle ADS and then mapping the Weapon Light key to the same key. That way, Laser = On when you spawn in and hipfiring, where you receive the benefits, while Laser will turn off automatically when you ADS so your target will not have a beacon to return fire at (and where you receive no benefits from Laser = On regardless).

Silenced RFB - Not Actually Really Freakin' Bad!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Veritable" (Mar 6th 2014, 11:08pm)

Date of registration
: Jan 2nd 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Monday, March 3rd 2014, 1:56pm

I agree. Unlike most, I unlocked all the DMRs fairly early in BF4 as I really enjoy that style of weapon. I persevered with the class, using the RFB all the way until I unlocked the ACE. These days, I tend to favour the SVD or QBU as I'm never as sucessful when using a suppressor, I need that velocity! When I do fancy giving the suppressor a go, however, the RFB is my choice. Going by the philosophy of "low velocity = close range", the RFBs bulpup bonuses really lend the weapon to this kind of combat. I tend to forgoe the laser in favour of slightly more stealth (can't get used to togle ADS...) and go for a holo most of the time. I'd use the magnifier but I've never got along with that, either.

It's a solid choice. The SKS, however, is it main competiton for the somewhat dubious title of close range DMR due to the SKSs pure spamability. Aside from RPM, it's worse in every way, but you can't deny that sometimes, you just need to get shots downrange.
Roses are red, violets are blue, "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

CobaltRose

I'll be there... around every corner... in every empty room...

(1,219)

Date of registration
: Nov 8th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Monday, March 3rd 2014, 2:13pm

• 0.2 Right / 0.4 Right H-Recoil
wut. Other than that, I'll give it a shot, when I get around to unlocking everything for it. Automatic weapons are just too damn fun!
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Memorable Quotes

I once tried to burn a bridge, but due to the half-assed levolution implementation it kept standing up just fine.

Compared to the MTAR, the PDR has the TTK of your average pack of cigarettes.

The World Champion, on the Tactical Light:
"Oh don't mind me, I'm just out of ammo and I'll just POCKET SUN!!!!"

What can't be changed can be banned.

I'm completely serious. Well, seriously insane actually :P

If only more people left the wheel chair, adjustable hospital bed, and crutches behind and played HC. (aka Regen, Minimap, Killcam)

Natalia Poklonskaya:
Putin the cute in prosecute since 2014.

I can't look at my own avatar without having to pee. GG Me. GG.

I swear to god if you reply with a picture of the AEK I'll mail you a buttplug shaped like one.

The one time when "it's only three inches" is a good thing.

How do you guys control your FAMAS burst length since it fires its mag in just 1,5 seconds))
I consider each magazine a burst. :/

This is Symthic, we don't do "feels" around here ;)

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,427)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Monday, March 3rd 2014, 2:25pm

I still think, that it kind of negates the purpose of the DMRs and that is accurate medium to long range fire, and with using the suppressor it is then kind of lacking there. Also the bullpup configuration allows you better hipfire and the suppressor hurts that as well, so it is a double trade-off for me.

Witchalok

Grounded in reality

(301)

Date of registration
: Mar 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Monday, March 3rd 2014, 2:30pm

Sorry, I didn't read the review.

I just wanted to add that when I decide on unlocking the DMR's, I had already unlocked a suppressor on the RFB.
So I used it.... not until the 4th mag, did I get my first hit-marker.
In theory it sounds nice, in practice, they already suffer from low muzzle velocity, decreasing it even further just makes the weapon very frustrating to use.

Does anybody know the muzzle velocity of the SVU in BC2? I am curious how it compares to the suppressed DMRs in BF4.
The SVU had a 39-28 damage model and 260 RPM.

Date of registration
: Dec 8th 2013

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Monday, March 3rd 2014, 2:41pm

The RFB is my #2 weapon and I unlocked everything for it within the first few months of release (before the damage buff) and the vast majority of those kills were while using the suppressor. The suppressor is just almost a necessity for the DMR's imo because their TTK is just so long that even when you are a good +100m away from your target an Assault or Support with their AR's and LMG's can turn around and tapfire you to death in the time between your first and third shots. By staying off the minmap gives you a few extra and vital milliseconds to down your target before he figures out where you are and kill you

Witchalok

Grounded in reality

(301)

Date of registration
: Mar 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Monday, March 3rd 2014, 2:55pm

The RFB is my #2 weapon and I unlocked everything for it within the first few months of release (before the damage buff) and the vast majority of those kills were while using the suppressor. The suppressor is just almost a necessity for the DMR's imo because their TTK is just so long that even when you are a good +100m away from your target an Assault or Support with their AR's and LMG's can turn around and tapfire you to death in the time between your first and third shots. By staying off the minmap gives you a few extra and vital milliseconds to down your target before he figures out where you are and kill you

If you are 100m+ away, you are likely not showing up on their minimap. I for one, keep mine at 50m, so you would be well above the range of my minimap.

Lennox 203

Slow Learner

(306)

Date of registration
: Dec 11th 2011

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 8

Monday, March 3rd 2014, 3:05pm

I enjoy the MK11 Mod0 with a suppressor, Holo and magnifier for similar reasons. Well , mainly for its tactical reload speed, and it sounds so quiet!
"Ain't nothin' soft or sweet, I lift you off your feet
When I cock back the heat, whole crews retreat"

Date of registration
: Feb 17th 2014

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 2

Monday, March 3rd 2014, 4:16pm

ADS - Not Moving Spread of 0.062, more accurate than the ACE 53 SV / M39 EMR / SKS and can guarantee headshots out to 80mADS - Moving Spread of 0.412, which is best-in-class and better than even un-modified bullpup Carbines, and ahead of any Assault Rifle regardless of modsNot Moving Hipfire Spreads of 2.025 (Stand) / 1.6875 (Crouch) / 1.35 (Prone), which are not just best-in-class but even approaches non-Bullpup Carbines without attachments for Stand and Crouch; please note that these numbers are with the Suppressor attached, and without they are even more impressiveMoving Hipfire Spreads of 2.01 (Stand) / 1.921875 (Crouch) / 1.59375 (Prone), actually beating non-Bullpup Carbines without attachments except for Prone2nd slowest non-empty reload speed at 2.5s but surprisingly the empty reload is the same as the ACE 53 SV at 3.2s and somehow faster than the M39 EMR and SKS (probably thanks to the bolt assist)[/quote]

So does this mean the Ergo actually works on DMRs? What about the angeles fore grip? From my experience, it feels necessary for all DMRs...