Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "RagingTaipan" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 22nd 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Sunday, December 22nd 2013, 4:42am

Sidearms and Sidearm Setups in BF4

I think a lot of people here contend that the P226 is the best pistol, but I personally prefer the Compact 45.

What is/is there a consensus on an all around good pistol?

I really like the C45, partly because it's an HK, but also because it feels very close to the M1911 Suppressed, which was my favorite pistol in BF3.

Also, what setups do you guys use on your secondaries? Personally I think that the RDS add a lot of usability, and the Delta one is so good that I can't not use it.

I guess this involves a lot of preference, but would it be wrong for me to say that the Compact 45 is the all around best pistol?

What are your guys' favorites statistically or otherwise?

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Sunday, December 22nd 2013, 4:49am

Purely from the stats, I'm inclined to favor the Compact 45. The problem is that with the horrendous hitreg, saturation is a critical part of winning closerange firefights. So the M9-3R and G18 should win there, but their crappy damage makes it so that they'll have a hard time killing with a single mag. The M9 and the P226 are in the middle when it comes down to damage per mag and rate of fire so I think that's why they win.

I'd say that the Compact 45 is the best on paper though.
Emperor Nick of the Cult of Defibrillation
Sith Deity of Thread-Killing

I'm basically just a degenerate weeb who doesn't post much nowadays.

I'm secretly Old Man Symthic

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Words of Wisdom (not really)

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

You're fedorable :love:

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

I have the highest postcount. Nick doesn't count.

Quoted

23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm -
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Okay
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm stabbing everyone
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Bye guys
23:44 Nick: *flips table*
23:44 Legion: Bye, happy stabbing
23:44 *** Lt_Col_Jesus quit (Quit: off to murder the public at large).

Quoted

10:41 LB: You just...reanimated Steve Jobs.
10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

... fuck. Damn you hindsight!

Quoted

23:58 Failure117: CAUSE IM FREEE
23:58 Nick: AS A BIIIIRD NOW
23:58 Failure117: FREEE OF NICK'S WORM RAPE

Quoted

ViperFTW: HEY LOOK
ViperFTW: AN ALIEN LASER FISH THE SIZE OF THE SUN
ViperFTW: I WANT TO SWAT IT WITH MY COMICLY LARGE SWORD
ViperFTW: WITH
ViperFTW: THIS
ViperFTW: AS
ViperFTW: MY
ViperFTW: FUUUUCKING SOUNDTRACK :DDDD
(the album in question)

• "RagingTaipan" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 22nd 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Sunday, December 22nd 2013, 4:52am

What would you run with it? I'm inclined to use the suppressor, but do you think that drops the velocity too much? I used to run laser, but it's started annoying me so now I run tac light. I have everything unlocked, favorite pistol right now.

Edit: Also, has anyone told you the 1911 in your sig makes no sense?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "RagingTaipan" (Dec 22nd 2013, 4:59am)

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Sunday, December 22nd 2013, 5:04am

I would run the Suppressor, but that's because I like having a suppressed weapon on me at all times, just so I can switch to it when I need to flank. But that's my opinions from BF3, I don't actually have BF4 and I'm working from the stats right now.

To be honest, no. I can't find the first sig I had, I'm only running with this one until I find the original one. But I'm a lazy bastard.
EDIT:
lol, I found it in <3 minutes, I thought it'd be harder since no one had tagged it properly.
Emperor Nick of the Cult of Defibrillation
Sith Deity of Thread-Killing

I'm basically just a degenerate weeb who doesn't post much nowadays.

I'm secretly Old Man Symthic

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Words of Wisdom (not really)

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

You're fedorable :love:

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

I have the highest postcount. Nick doesn't count.

Quoted

23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm -
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Okay
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm stabbing everyone
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Bye guys
23:44 Nick: *flips table*
23:44 Legion: Bye, happy stabbing
23:44 *** Lt_Col_Jesus quit (Quit: off to murder the public at large).

Quoted

10:41 LB: You just...reanimated Steve Jobs.
10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

... fuck. Damn you hindsight!

Quoted

23:58 Failure117: CAUSE IM FREEE
23:58 Nick: AS A BIIIIRD NOW
23:58 Failure117: FREEE OF NICK'S WORM RAPE

Quoted

ViperFTW: HEY LOOK
ViperFTW: AN ALIEN LASER FISH THE SIZE OF THE SUN
ViperFTW: I WANT TO SWAT IT WITH MY COMICLY LARGE SWORD
ViperFTW: WITH
ViperFTW: THIS
ViperFTW: AS
ViperFTW: MY
ViperFTW: FUUUUCKING SOUNDTRACK :DDDD
(the album in question)

Date of registration
: Jun 12th 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Sunday, December 22nd 2013, 5:31am

I'm still unlocking stuff for most sidearms but my current setups are as follows:

Shorty:
Mini RDS, green laser, modified choke

1911:
mini RDS, laser, HBAR

.44 magnum:
Mini RDS , laser, muzzle brake

Raffica:
Ghost sight, laser, nothing

Compact .45:
Mini RDS laser suppressor.

Currently unlocking more stuff for the mp443 and the cz-75.
"Blood is the price of victory"
- Karl von Clausewitz

"Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."
- Erwin Rommel

PSN: Suodeth_

Date of registration
: Nov 5th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Sunday, December 22nd 2013, 6:11am

What I have used since the dawn of BF4: Shorty, ring, modified choke, laser. I would've never dreamed I could have a backup shotgun in every class and setup *-*
This is where I'm coming from: Clicky

Lennox 203

Slow Learner

(306)

Date of registration
: Dec 11th 2011

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 8

Sunday, December 22nd 2013, 6:17am

The CZ-75 is the best pistol in my opinion, I wanted a 10mm pistol in BF3 so bad and I am glad they added one to BF4, they got it so right.
The 9mm damage model is 27dmg out to 8m then down to 12.1dmg at 55m.
The 10mm damage model is 27dmg out to 12.5m then down to 13.5dmg at 50m.
This allows the CZ-75 to do more damage than 9mm pistols up close and at a distance. I believe it is from ~42-48m that the 9mm round does marginally more damage, but it's a small window.
It fires at 360RPM which is right in between the 320RPM of the .45 pistols and the 400+ of the 9mm pistols.
The muzzle velocity of the CZ-75 (380m/s) is among the fastest pistols while .45 pistols are both on the slow side (250m/s).
It also has 0.1-0.1 horizontal recoil. The magazine is a good size (12 rounds), which is one more than the Compact 45 can hold. It is less than the P226, MP443 and the FN57.
It fire fast and hits hard. I use the Delta sight, green laser and a heavy barrel or a suppressor. Occasionally ill use a muzzle break if it is a CQ map.
The Compact 45 is slightly more accurate, and does sound better than the M1911, so it's a very good choice as well, I just prefer the 10mm.
The P226 is awesome, red dot green laser and heavy barrel for me. I've got ~250 kills with it, but I can't go back now
"Ain't nothin' soft or sweet, I lift you off your feet
When I cock back the heat, whole crews retreat"

Pheo

I turn down for no one

(1,174)

Date of registration
: May 3rd 2012

Reputation modifier: 14

Sunday, December 22nd 2013, 6:21am

Raffica.

Date of registration
: Jan 27th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Sunday, December 22nd 2013, 8:13am

Statistically the Compact 45 seems to be the best but the "fake recoil" on the semi auto pistols make it extremely hard to be accurate compared to something like the M9 in BF3, and since the CZ75 seems to have less of this I think it's much easier to hit targets further away with it than the others. Overall the M93r seems the best though

Watcher-45

He's watching...

(758)

Date of registration
: May 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Sunday, December 22nd 2013, 11:01am

My view on all pistols thus far, I have most fully unlocked (>200 kills) and a few to the point of the last 2 battlepacks (a bit <200 kills). TLDR version all the way down.

P226: Damn fine all-arounder, Jack of all trades and the master of none. Iron sights are a little chunky but not bad (I'd run an optic, personally), decent damage, decent fire rate, good reload speed. Accurate with a HB without too much recoil, good with a suppressor without sacrificing too much velocity, comp and MB are useful but I don't know why you wouldn't run a HB or Suppressor on it.

M9: Essentially the same as the P226 in almost every way, but it has more precise iron sights IMHO, has a marginally slower reload, has a similar but more directional recoil characteristic, and has a slightly higher velocity and max range. As with the P226 I don't know why you'd use anything but the HB or Supp.

MP443: Same damage as the M9/P226, with some key differences. A slightly lower ROF and a slightly lower velocity, but a slightly faster reload, 2 more rounds per magazine, and a wonderful recoil pattern. Vert recoil is pretty strong compared to the other 9mms, but the horizontal recoil might as well not exist. Compensator is useless, MB is a decent idea. The HB does increase the recoil quite a bit, but I don't find it unmanageable. I was able to go 82/23 in a 1000 ticket GolmundRailway Domination match with 20% accuracy and 28% headshot ratio. MP443, HB, green laser, Delta, stuck to rooftops, basically sniped people all round.
Because of ROF the M9/P226 are better up close, but with any distance the MP443 is a wonder! I'd suggest to use the HB if you can handle the recoil, and use it either to finish off targets or if you are out of primary ammo it makes a great flanker.
I prefer it to the M9/P226 because of the recoil characteristic, and I don't mind the loss of ROF. I would use the HB or MB, I wouldn't use the suppressor because of the ROF (you'll be outgunned up close), and the comp serves no purpose with .01 hor recoil.
Iron sights are nice, the thin front sight is pretty precise.

CZ-75: Another Jack of all trades and master of none, but with an edge for distance. It has a slightly longer max damage range and a slightly higher min damage than the 9mms, in exchange for a slightly lower ROF. Same velocity and reload speed as the M9, recoil is similar to but slightly less than the MP443, but the thing that kills it is the magazine size. 11 rounds is only 1 more than the compact .45, and the compact .45 does a lot more damage per round.
Usually outgunned up close and not much more powerful than the 9mms at range, I don't think it is a wise choice and I think it needs a buff to make it useful. I'd raise the min damage to at least that of the .45s to make it very adept at long range combat. As is I don't think it excels at anything enough to make it a wise choice over the 9mms. As is, it is easy to use at medium range due to it's ROF so it's decent as a backup weapon.
Comp is useless, MB is an ok choice, the HB is a good idea, Supp is probably a bad idea because of ROF up close. I like the iron sights, I don't think an optic is necessary.

QSZ-92: Completely useless, outclassed by the FN57 in every way. NEXT!

FN57 (F N Five-seveN): Weak, but with better velocity, a very quick ROF, and a decent reload speed. Magazine size is the largest of the pistols (equal to the M93R). It is decently balanced in TTK with the 9mms because of the ROF, but requires a pretty spammy trigger most of the time in my experience.
I also think it needs a buff to be really useful. It basically shoots a rifle round, they should drastically increase the accuracy. I don't think it is that useful over a 9mm at this point, as a backup for finishing off a target it is fine because of the ROF and magazine size (doesn't need constant reloading), but as an emergency weapon I think the damage is too weak.
Make the accuracy half of what it is and I think we can talk, because with the velocity it has it makes a great standoff gun. As is I think the HB is a necessary attachment. Suppressor isn't a bad idea as the velocity is pretty good to begin with, but I think it's stronger when far away...
Sights are blocky but pretty easy to use. I think the Delta is an ok choice but because of the spammy nature the RDS gets my vote.

1911: I love the name, love the look, and pretty much will use it on that principle alone (see my sig). As is, it is outclassed by the Compact .45 due to ROF and magazine size, but I think the iron sights are better so that is one advantage. Recommended buff to accuracy and velocity to represent longer 5" barrel and better trigger than the C45, and nerf to recoil to represent heavy steel construction.
I like the iron sights, though they look misaligned, but I think the other options make the gun too ugly.
3x is fun to use, not 100% troll like you would think. Pair it with the HB and knock some heads off.
See Compact .45 for performance.

Compact .45: Better than the 1911 in ROF (slight) and magazine size (moderate), I think the C45 is a solid choice against the other pistols. It has a low ROF and low velocity, but the high damage and fast reload as well as a slightly higher accuracy is a great tradeoff. It is out-damaged by the 9mms and CZ-75 between about 35m and 45m, but has the lowest TTK up close and a consistently low BTK compared to the other guns. It also has a slightly lower ADS spread than the other semis, and the recoil isn't any higher than the MP443.
I like the .45s a lot as general use sidearms. The high damage is great for finishing off targets in 1-2 shots as well as stand on it's own against a 100% target, the ROF is low enough to make it handle well when spamming, and the high reload speed easily compensates for the low magazine size.
As far as usability goes it does maintain a higher accuracy requisite compared to the 9mms, and as such can be more difficult to use. But on the whole it is quite comparable in general performance to the 9mms. If you are unwilling to put in the time to master the .45s, I would just stick with the 9mms. But if you want a great sidearm that will outshoot the 9mms up close and maintain decent damage far away the .45s are the ticket. Basically, if you like the SCAR-H, UMP-45, PKP/M240B, and the ACE-52 you will probably like the .45s.
The suppressor is a nice choice because the high damage means the targets definitely won't notice you before you kill them, but the velocity gets so low that it makes it completely impractical at any sort of range so you are stuck with staying up close and in the shadows.
HB is a good choice to even greater increase the accuracy, and the recoil isn't ridiculous. The MB could be a good choice, and once again the comp is useless.
Irons sights are bulky much like the P226, I'd recommend an optic.

MP412 REX: High damage, low ROF, slight accuracy advantage over the semis. Requires 2 shots up close, still has a better TTK than the semis in Normal mode, but is destroyed in HC mode and in both cases if you miss you die. Works decently well as an ambush type gun, I wouldn't use it as an emergency use sidearm because of the difficulty of use. Fun to use as a challenge, but I don't think it is practical at all. They need to bring back the chest multipliers so it will OHK in the chest up close at least in HC mode and maintain an edge over the semis as long as your aim is true.
Irons are pretty bad, I'd suggest an optic.
Comp is an OK choice because the Hor recoil isn't the lowest, but a better choice is the MB. HB would make it more accurate than some primaries, but the recoil becomes fairly poor.

.44 Mag: Like the REX, it's high damage and low ROF, but unlike the REX it has an incredible accuracy buff over the other pistols. It's more accurate than most primaries. In fact, it is as accurate as most DMRs. In fact, it's Max and Min damage are HIGHER than the DMRs! It is a pocket sniper-rifle!
Crippled up close due to ROF, but amazing at a distance.
I think the 3x is a necessity given the accuracy over ROF bias, but otherwise the irons are fantastic. Delta is a great idea as well to take advantage of the accuracy, but the RDS is too inaccurate and the ghost-rings are a downgrade IMHO.
HB isn't needed as the accuracy is already great and the recoil would become terrible. Comp is an OK choice as with the REX, but the MB is a better idea. I prefer the flash-hider, as the ROF is low enough to make the high recoil not that much of an issue.
Perfect sidearm for someone running a shotgun or low damage PDW.

M93R: A beast up close, not completely useless far away, it's a fine sidearm. Burns through ammo like no other, though, so I'd suggest it as a Sniper's emergency sidearm. Not much else to say about it, really.
Suppressor is a good choice since it destroys up close, so is the HB as the recoil isn't outrageous and it could use the buff to accuracy. Hip fire accuracy stinks, so run a laser. Comp isn't a bad idea as the Hor recoil is .2 in both directions, and the MB is also an OK choice as extended shooting will make it walk over your target if you aren't careful.
Irons are OK but because of the recoil and ROF I think a Mini-RDS is a great idea.

G18: Full auto version of the M93R with a slightly faster reload, but it has worse recoil stats in all directions, a smaller mag by 1 bullet, and worse accuracy by spread increase per shot. Being full auto means you gain some usability up close, but lose it at range, and burn through ammo even quicker than the M93R.
Despite the recoil, I think the HB is the best attachment as the spread increase per shot really cripples the gun. That being said, both the Comp and MB are great ideas, and the suppressor as well. I'd use a laser as well.
Again, much like the M93R, I'd recommend the Mini RDS.

Shorty-12: Beast. The small magazine of 3 shots is a major downside, but nothing beats this gun up close. The polar opposite of the .44, this is a great sidearm for a DMR or sniper rifle. Great as an emergency sidearm when your hide is breached, and great when running around indoors where your 4x+ is completely impractical, but because it is a shotgun it has a limitation for range. If you are playing on a more open map, it may be wiser to pick a more balanced sidearm like the MP443. But for any mix of long range and close quarters it's hard to beat.
The ghost-ring is an ok sight, definitely better than no sight at all, but I like the Mini-RDS. You don't need the precision of the Delta, and the speed over the ring is an advantage.
Laser is an ok idea for hip firing.
MB is a dumb choice IMHO, the chokes give too much of a performance edge. I wouldn't use the full choke, you gain a lot of accuracy but lose too much hip spread and moving ADS spread. Beside, range is what your primary is for. Modified effectively increases the range noticeably while not destroying the hip spread.

Sights: I typically don't like the Ghost-Rings as I think they block too much and aren't as precise as other options, sometimes even default irons, but they are easier to see.
The Mini-RDS is a solid choice, but I find it isn't as accurate as I'd like in some cases and gets washed out in some lighting. I prefer it to the Delta on spammy guns like the autos and the shotgun.
The Delta is the pistol optic for me. It's more accurate than the Mini-RDS because of the triangle point, it's just as quick, and because of the reticle size it doesn't get washed out as much. I still prefer the irons on some guns, though.

Rail options: Laser vs flashlight.
The laser is an obvious choice on some guns and clearly superior to nothing, and the flashlight is handy for lighting up dark places but can give you away if you aren't careful.
The taclight is cool if your primary choice is purely emergency use, but if you use it as a backup gun the flashlight is more versatile since you can turn it off completely.
I do not like the laser/light as you can't toggle it off completely.

TLDR:

M9 = P226, good at everything. HB/Supp, laser, Irons/Delta.

MP443 is great! Slower than the other 9mms with greater vert recoil, but way less hor recoil and larger mag. HB/MB, laser, Irons/Delta.

CZ-75 needs a buff, good at medium range, as is just use a .45. HB/MB, laser, Irons/Delta.

QSZ-92 = useless, 'nuff said.

Five-seveN needs a buff, ok choice for finishing gun. HB/Supp, laser, RDS/Delta.

C45 > 1911, better than the 9mms in some ways but needs higher skill to use. HB/Supp/MB, laser (I like the Tac-Light sometimes), Delta (1911 irons).

REX = impractical. MB, laser, Delta. Stick to cover and flanks, OK as a backup gun or for a challenge, not handy in emergencies or face-to-face combat. Could use a buff to the chest multiplier.

.44 = pocket sniper rifle. Flash-hider, laser, 3x. Could use a buff like the REX, but has a clearly defined role and range as is.

M93R > G18 HB/Supp, laser, RDS (comp/MB ok).

Shorty = win. Mod choke, laser (I like the Tac-Light most of the time), RDS.
All bike, all the time!

Spoiler Spoiler

This post has been edited 8 times, last edit by "Watcher-45" (Dec 22nd 2013, 11:22am)