Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "IceColdNed" started this thread

Date of registration
: Nov 7th 2013

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Sunday, November 24th 2013, 10:27pm

DMR overview and comparison

Okay, so before everyone yells at me for starting a new DMR thread, I'd like to have this thread focus a bit more on actual comparison of the various DMRs, from both an experience and a statistical standpoint. If a lot of people come to a general consensus about the viability of a gun (or viability with certain attachments/ranges or on core/hardcore), then I'll update this post to reflect that.
For an example of what I'm wanting to do take a look at the categories for the QBU.

I hope to have an easy to read one-stop shop of DMR knowledge and strategies as the thread grows.

So here's my experience so far (I have yet to unlock the last one, hopefully add my thoughts within the next couple of days):

RFB: Alright, but with the MK11 having better ADS accuracy and an all-around faster reload, it seems like a situational weapon.
VERDICT: Use with ergo grip for a good DMR on the move, otherwise use something else.

MK11 MOD 0: Better for stationary sniping. I thought it was alright, but looking from the stats it seems like it loses out to the Scar-H SV because of H-recoil.
VERDICT: I'd go HB + bipod if I was going to use it.

SKS: While it's not a laser cannon anymore, it's still my DMR of choice. Sporting the fastest RoF and recoil decrease, lowest V-Recoil, and not to mention lowest hip spread, it's the perfect choice for aggressive DMR players.
Keep in mind, however, you have less range and damage, so don't be frugal with your bullets.
VERDICT: Always HB + Ergo. Run, gun, win. Just don't get too close, or too far away.

SVD-12: This one's an oddball. With it's 16 round clip and damage drop off at 60m, it doesn't do anything better than any of the other DMRs. I can't find any reason to use it under any circumstances.
VERDICT: Smile and wave, but don't invite it over to dinner.

QBU-88: Meant to be an aggressive DMR like the SKS, but fails miserably. Despite having the smallest clip at 11 rounds, it also has the longest reload at 3.9 seconds. Inferior in every situation. OVERRULED. I should learn to hold my tongue.

Advantages:

• Lowest recoil values for vertical and horizontal.
  • Fastest bullet velocity for DMRs
  • 2nd fastest rate of fire at 310rpm
  • 2nd fastest recoil decrease (8 deg/s)
  • Shares same spread profile as RFB. (2nd lowest base spread, lowest moving spread)

Weaknesses:
  • 11 ROUND CLIP.
  • Worst spread increase per shot with 0.6
  • Longest empty reload (3.9s) and tac reload(2.65s)
  • Less damage (same as SKS except dropoff ends at 65m) than nearly all DMRS

Close Range:
Conflicting views right now. it's unclear right now.

Mid Range: There are better options... (discuss more)
Long Range: Highest bullet velocity and lowest overall recoil values make it a serious contender. Damage values could be an issue.

Best attachments: HB because of the low V-recoil.
Worst attachments: As pointed out by Jais, compensator & muzzle break are no-nos, as it pushes the spread increase up to 0.78.
Core?:

Hardcore?:
General Consenus: One of the best choices long range, and decent spammability(discuss more?) up close.
Minority Opinion: (IceColdNed) I still think that there are better choices at close and mid ranges.

M39 EMR: Higher RoF than most DMRs, and the second fastest muzzle velocity, but kicks up pretty bad, which makes the benefits of its RoF questionable.
VERDICT: Angled/Folding to counteract V-Recoil and allow easier follow-up shots? Or slap a bipod on it to take advantage of the muzzle velocity.

ACE 53 SV: More bullets, less H-recoil, and a pretty fast tac-reload make this thing look pretty nice.
VERDICT: It's not bad, I just have yet to go on a decent streak with it.

SCAR-H SV: This gun looks like a slightly better(DISCUSS) version of the MK11, trading some of its muzzle velocity for less H-Recoil and a marginally faster empty reload.
VERDICT: TBD

Later tonight or tomorrow I'll add my thoughts on core/hardcore viability for most of the guns. I find it easier to break this stuff up into chunks than to spend 3 hours writing up the first post.

The "verdict" category is more of a temporary thing to express some of my thoughts, and will be replaced by more specific "verdicts" regarding different ways to use each gun.
I look forward to reading everyone's opinions and strategies for DMR domination!

Edit #1: Revised the QBU analysis, Good points were made and I was being a dingus and not taking the advantages into account. Also used this opportunity to set up a better example of what I'm trying to accomplish. Still needs work, and I need to spend more time meditating on these DMRs. I appreciate everyone's feedback so far. Disagreement makes the thread stronger. Also post if you agree with someone because it makes it easier to evaluate the majority opinion of the gun.

Update 12/2/13: Just wanted to let you all know I'm still going to be updating this thread, but it's going to be a week or two before I'm able to devote the time to serious edits. Semester finals coming up soon, so once those are over with I'll be able to spend more time on the DMR overview. Keep the feedback coming.
On a related note: Seems like most people agree that the DMR category is poorly balanced and beaten out by other categories. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who runs assault/carbines in semi-auto, and compare the stats to the DMR class guns. If a non-DMR gun is better at being a DMR, then it might as well be included in the overview. (ex. SKS & M39 were in the sniper category in BF3, but they were played like DMRs) I think that any gun that fits the playstyle of DMR should be included. Let me know what you guys think.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "IceColdNed" (Dec 2nd 2013, 8:41pm)

Date of registration
: Nov 10th 2013

Location: 36.59091°, -121.9143°, Federal Republic of the United States of America

Battlelog:

Monday, November 25th 2013, 8:58am

As a religious QBU-88 with three service stars, I am a little offended. The QBU-88 has the best recoil overall, it's the least recoil when taking into account every direction. It also has the highest velocity, and a great rate of fire. It's spammable at close, has decent recoil at medium, and has good velocity at range. For aggressive DMRing definitely go QBU-88 with the Coyote. As for the Mk11, it's also great for big maps, and the SCAR-H for the smaller ones. I'd never run a heavy barrel, but that's just me, I always run Angled/ Folding Grip and a Muzzle Break.

Date of registration
: Sep 3rd 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Monday, November 25th 2013, 9:52am

QBU-88: Trash. Meant to be an agressive DMR like the SKS, but fails miserably. Despite having the smallest clip at 11 rounds, it also has the longest reload at 3.9 seconds. Inferior in every situation.
VERDICT: Avoid it like the plague. Don't make direct eye contact.
Really? I assume you are aware that you are talking about the empty reload (which is only 0.4s longer than the popular SKS), and not the non-empty reload which is timed at 2.65s?

The QBU has a lot of things going for it. It has the fastest bullet velocity of all the DMRs (which is saying a lot since DICE decided that DMRs should all have a sucky velocity to make it harder to do their job properly), very low recoil, second highest ROF, tied for second lowest base spread and tied for lowest moving spread of all the DMRs. On the downside, it does have a smaller mag size and its spread increase (0.6) is quite high. You definately do not want to put a compensator or muzzle break on this one, as it will raise the spread increase to a ghastly 0.78 per shot. But all things considered, it's a quite good DMR provided you don't spam the hell out of it.

Date of registration
: Nov 12th 2013

Battlelog:

Monday, November 25th 2013, 9:17pm

not to pile on to the QBU-88 bandwagon, but technically speaking it should be your best choice for headhunting, especially with a heavy barrel. i am more partial to the M39 simply since i hate asymmetrical recoil, but in hardcore and even at range in normal the QBU is going to be optimal for long-range work given the bullet velocity and low recoil. it also has faster recoil reduction than the other DMRs, so you should be able to be back on target relatively quickly. i think it's pretty bad at the mid-range game (where the SKS and M39 are best) but it can shine either up close or far away.

• "IceColdNed" started this thread

Date of registration
: Nov 7th 2013

Battlelog:

Monday, November 25th 2013, 9:52pm

Alrighty then. It would appear that I'm in the minority opinion in regards to the QBU :P. I'll have to give it another go sometime, but for now I'll concede to you. I still think (Especially on core) that the 11 round clip + longest reload is going to get you killed, and while I can see how it could be good at longer ranges, I just don't see it being a good choice for mid or close relative to the other DMRs. For best spammability you just can't beat the SKS.

Date of registration
: Nov 8th 2013

Battlelog:

Tuesday, November 26th 2013, 4:38am

The QBU has a lot of things going for it. It has the fastest bullet velocity of all the DMRs (which is saying a lot since DICE decided that DMRs should all have a sucky velocity to make it harder to do their job properly)

But they all have better velocity and less drop than most sniper rifles, ironically.
My soldier profile. Numbers are overrated anyway.

Date of registration
: Sep 3rd 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Tuesday, November 26th 2013, 8:31am

But they all have better velocity and less drop than most sniper rifles, ironically.
The average velocity for the sniper rifles (not counting the two pick-up weapons) is 569, compared to the DMR's average of 534.

Just for fun, I did the assault rifles as well and was honestly not surprised to discover that they have an average velocity of 602. But I guess that's okay, because surely we wouldn't want to make things too easy for the DMRs, right?

Pro-tip: if you put a heavy barrel on the SAR-21 you have a rifle that's about as accurate as a DMR with a vastly better muzzle velocity (650), much better ROF, spread increase, FSM, recoil and mag size. It also has a TTK that is consistently equal or lower than the majority of DMRs (a few DMRs are slightly better at the 42m-62m interval, but the SAR is supreme on shorter and longer ranges).

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Jais" (Nov 26th 2013, 8:40am)

Date of registration
: Nov 8th 2013

Battlelog:

Tuesday, November 26th 2013, 8:38am

The average velocity for the sniper rifles (not counting the two pick-up weapons) is 569, compared to the DMR's average of 534.

Maybe it's the bullet drop, then, that biases my perception. I dunno, but whenever I shoot a sniper rifle I feel like I'm shooting a projectile, like an RPG or a SMAW, more than an actual bullet.

I'll have to work toward that QBU-88. It sounds right up my alley.
My soldier profile. Numbers are overrated anyway.

TheMightyVoice

The Pantless Messiah Returns

(1,830)

Date of registration
: May 22nd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Tuesday, November 26th 2013, 9:11am

M39 is all around best in terms of actually being a DMR. The best DMR damage model while retaining a high-ish RPM. Because of the higher RPM, the recoil and spread begin to reset marginally faster than the 260 RPM counterparts so having worse recoil is negligible, and the spread increase from a muzzle brake (And AFG combo) to mitigate vertical recoil is negligible as well, especially for moving targets at long range where it's preferable to let sights fully reset to original position before a follow up shot. It's also got the 3rd highest bullet velocity, and while the reload isn't impressive, 2.25 seconds isn't a particularly long time to be down when you can take out 4-5 enemies in one magazine reliably if you aren't being suppressed.

RFB is generally just terrible. But hey, what did you expect? It's Kel-Tec.
Eat your heart out, Badger.

Spoiler Spoiler

<elementofprgress> yummm baby jesus
<elementofprgress> but i'd prefer jesus with ketchup

<cloon> women are allowed to play hockey?
<daddygreeenjeans> body checks are a fundamental part of women's suffrage

<Riesig> "... I'M GAY..."

steamboat28: the doctors at the ER found my nipples, too!
steamboat28: it just..y'know...took them a razor and two orderlies.

<Legion> And damn, now I really want some [redacted] penetrator measurements

<Rezal> peipin, why did you tell them you brought your phone?
<Pepin_the_Short> Because there’s like a one in five chance of getting searched on the way out
<Pepin_the_Short> And trying to sneak the fucker out is way worse than letting them look at Cloon’s dick pics.

17:52:08 <Rezal> Unfortunately, this video is not available in your country because it could contain music, for which we could not agree on conditions of use with GEMA.
17:52:15 <ToTheSun> lolgema
17:52:15 <TheMightyVoice> lolgema

<Legion> But I literally am Hitler right now
Somehow my bullets are magnetically attracted to popular Youtubers, but theirs rarely seem to hit me.

Date of registration
: Jun 18th 2013

Battlelog:

Tuesday, November 26th 2013, 9:36am

IMO M39 is good for bipod+HB. It has worst recoil and spread, but almost best ROF, muzzle velocity and damage. With bipod deployed, its weaknesses are not the problem at all, while its ROF will give both damage and surpression to the enemy.