Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "DeathOfTheDodo" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jun 30th 2013

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Saturday, November 16th 2013, 8:01pm

So after a few weeks of trying out every sniper rifle at least a little bit, I've come to the conclusion that the 338-Recon is the perfect aggressive bolt action for Hardcore.

If you need to reach out and touch at long ranges, it's got you covered. If you need to hipfire up close, it's bullpup bonerses are going to help a ton. The bolt speed isn't the best, but as long as you're accurate you shouldn't need follow-up shots. With a 6x-14x variable zoom, the straight-pull, and X muzzle attachment (I don't use any) the 338 is perfect for the marksman on the move.

Date of registration
: Nov 16th 2013

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Saturday, November 16th 2013, 9:42pm

Hello everyone, new poster here.

I'll give some background before posting first, in BF3 I used mainly M40A5 (~10 000 kills) and played what people refer as "Aggressive Recon". I play core because I never was big fan of chest shot OHKs, part of joy of sniping was that it took bit more effort than mowing down people with AN-94 or M16A3, so challenge mostly. On most FPS games I've played, I've always preferred sniper rifles. There is just something elegant about them. D:

On BF4, I looked forward to using Scout Elite (Since it looked the best in my opinion, reason I picked M40 in BF3 as well.) but after bit over 300 kills, I must say this thing is complete PoS in BF4, at least in core. It sucks at counter sniping those pesky cliffwankers since it doesn't OHK headshot at longer ranges, and at short ranges I found myself just getting hammered unless I pulled that OHK headshot with first shot, considering switching to sidearm seems slower now, the more damage the weapon does, the better your chances of surviving are at close quarters battles if you miss the headshot.

So I put Scout down in disappointment, and picked SRR-61, I felt like I had been playing with handicap the time I spent with Scout. Considering the damage is higher, it requires less pistol shots to finish off enemy, which is very important with BF4's faster TTK. And those rooftop "masta snipas" won't get a chance to run away anymore, it was very challenging to shoot a guy at long range a headshot, and then follow up with another to finish the guy off.

So to other flag capping snipers out there, don't use the Scout. It seems like ideal gun to use for "Run 'n' Gun" but it's just slower and crappier version of DMRs.

Date of registration
: Feb 25th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Sunday, November 17th 2013, 3:35am

just tried the l96 after using the m40 for i think a week,it feels like passig from a bb gun to a .338 lapua magnum,the shot is SO faster than the m40 the i have no problems hitting anything,and i wonder how the m98 and m2000 will feel...
"I'm just a loot whore."

stuff not related to BF4 that interests nobody

on 27/09/2014
29(30)th DMR user in italy(07/04/14)
rush mode score RANK:3617 TOP:1% OUT OF:387719
obliteration mode scoreRANK:2080 TOP:1% OUT OF:292522
longest headshot RANK:9790 TOP:2% OUT OF:566292
recon score RANK:8838 TOP:2% OUT OF:492566
score per minute RANK:17554 TOP:3% OUT OF:457583
handgun medals RANK:4534 TOP:3% OUT OF:220970

31/3/2012 4:58:

Headshot distance RANK:493* TOP:0%
Revives per assault minute RANK: 6019 TOP: 3%
Headshots / kill percentage RANK:25947 TOP:13%
MVP ribbons RANK:18824 TOP:11%

*= 6 if we not count the EOD BOT headshots

@kataklism

ARGUMENT DESTROYED 100

ENEMY KILLED [REASON] JSLICE20 100

WRITING SPREE STOPPED 500

Date of registration
: Jul 4th 2013

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Sunday, November 17th 2013, 6:07pm

For me, it's the SRR now. BF3 i used the M98 Religiously.... and I'm a very aggressive recon as I play to either give us an awesome spawn beacon, claymoring flags/mcoms, Anti-Vehicle, motion sensing. M98 was my sniper of choice in BF4 until I unlocked SRR..... It's stupid that the fastest bullet velocity sniper (M98) has a larger bullet drop than the SRR but that's the reason for choosing the SRR (plus the SRR sounds sweet).

IMO I hate most people that play recon and sit back and snipe...... unless you're like the 1 out of 1000 sit back and camp snipers that actually help by taking out enemies that are going for the defuse or capping of a flag they just don't have a real team boosting presence. Attacking on Rush..... can't begin to describe my hate of other recon players. Hainan and Parcel are horrible for this...... people sit back and snipe and don't do shit. Meanwhile i'm up front w/ a silenced SRR a beacon by the MCOMs that's nice and hidden and either busy planting first and putting a claymore or TUGS down or C4'ing vehicles and then taking out an MCOM. Couple the sniper w/ a Shorty and you can lock down any mcom solo if you know what you're doing and plan accordingly.

Date of registration
: Apr 26th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Sunday, November 17th 2013, 10:28pm

Don't think I'll use Scout Elite or FY-JS because of that shitty long range damage and pretty much forced to only go for headshots. It's silly that snipers are forced to a minimal hit box while everyone else can just spam away, yet they still whine about how OP snipers are -.-

I don't think anyone whines about how OP snipers are. About how annoying they are, though, that's a different matter.

Date of registration
: Nov 18th 2013

Battlelog:

Monday, November 18th 2013, 3:24am

I'm bad at sniping. Like, not very good. It doesn't suit my playstyle, so my attempts at getting good don't generally last very long.

But I want to unlock all the weapons (CATCH 'EM ALL!), so I'm that awful guy running around quickscoping. I totally understand if no one wants to help me out.

Is there any data on how long it takes to bring sights up during ADS? Or any other relevant information in trying to decide between Scout Elite and M40? High RPM and accuracy are my main concerns (I seem to miss a lot when peeking corners, and I'm not sure how much is netcode/my aim/the gun's accuracy.

The Scout has a slightly higher RPM, better velocity, and better hipfire. But I've never landed a hipfired shot, and the M40 has a larger mag, slightly faster reload, and no awful drop-off so it should handle countersniping better.

I haven't really played the class much since BC2. (VSS and SVU were amazing weapons for guerrilla tactics.) And I was hoping to come back in BF4, but I'm just so out of practice sniping. I'm slowly getting better, but I really need to pick a gun and stick with it. I prefer my optics in the 4x - 6x range, which means iron sights for my first 30 kills. (Anyone else think they should have changed the unlock order for the Scout Elite?)

Anyhow, thanks to anyone that deigns to help.

yugas42

A Little Batty

(652)

Date of registration
: Sep 1st 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Monday, November 18th 2013, 3:31am

The only decent bolt action is the L96 and that's only because it has default weapon values right now and has no real weakness. Once it inherits its real stats from the DLC patch next week it's going to probably be as painful to use as the rest of them. They're all just simply too ineffective to use; especially with carbines as an all kit weapon now.

This post is not to be confused with me not liking bolt action sniper rifles, I really do like them and I think they're fun, but they're just not good enough to be worth using if you're playing to win.

Date of registration
: Apr 16th 2013

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Monday, November 18th 2013, 3:42am

After hearing about the L96, I was actually planning to pick up BF4 on Black Friday... but since they're gonna nerf it back to BF3...
I was really looking forward to the nostalgic feeling of using the L96. Brings me back to my first shooter, Black Ops (LOL).

yugas42

A Little Batty

(652)

Date of registration
: Sep 1st 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Monday, November 18th 2013, 3:47am

After hearing about the L96, I was actually planning to pick up BF4 on Black Friday... but since they're gonna nerf it back to BF3...
I was really looking forward to the nostalgic feeling of using the L96. Brings me back to my first shooter, Black Ops (LOL).
Never said it was going to be as useless as it was, it's just not going to be as good as it is now, because it's got all default stats, and is actually missing some stats that would take away from it's accuracy. Nobody really knows how it will compare.

Contortrix

Professional Ninja

(507)

Date of registration
: May 27th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Monday, November 18th 2013, 3:57am

So, the M40. Probably the only rifle you should ever use the suppressor on.
Just throwing that out there.