Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

GamerRevolution

My common sense is tingling.

(50)

Date of registration
: Jul 10th 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Friday, January 3rd 2014, 6:14pm

So I finally unlocked the last shotgun 2 days ago and Ive noticed something interesting compared to BF3. In that game I personally enjoyed using pumps over the semi auto shotguns (870 was my second most kills gun after the 1911) but with slugs how they are in BF4, the Auto shotties are far superior.
Anyway if I had to rate the shotguns by personal preference it would go as follows:
DBV-12 > QBS-09 > M1014 > Saiga 20k > 870 MCS > Spas-12 > Hawk 12G > SerbuShorty > UTS-15

The advantages of the DBV-12 are quite obviously its large mag and relatively rapid reload while still maintaining a stable damage model. The first game after unlocking this thing, I knew it would become my go to shotgun.

Not a 100% sure why I like the QBS-09 so much. Looking at the stats I knew from the start it fired an increased amount of low damage buckshot but that never stopped me from vastly enjoying the weapon. Its my 2nd because it was the first shottie you get, its got a good reload, can cancel mid reload to defend yourself, and all around just handles well.

I like the M1014 for the same reasons I like the QBS but the M10 has the normal buckshot damage model. I just haven't had as good experiences with it compared to the QBS, even if statistically it is basically a superior version so 3rd place it gets.

I thought the Saiga 20k was great! An nice balanced mag-fed shotgun that served me well, that is... until I unlocked the DBV. I enjoyed using this shotgun up to the final unlock but now it goes vastly ignored.

The 870 MCS just doesn't measure up to BF3 for me. Its not that its horrible, its just that a rapid rate of fire is now more important then raw damage with slugs being countered by body armor. That being said it still performs well with buckshot.

The Spas-12 is in a similar boat to the 870, only it has one less pellet per shot making it ever so slightly weaker with buckshot/flechette.

Shotgun users like their guns to fire lots of pellets right? So how about we give those F#@Ks a shotgun that fires a SH*T ton of pellets? This is how I imagine the Hawk 12G was conceived. Its a mag fed, 6 round, slow AS$ firing shotgun with a huge pellet count of 14. Unfortunately it fires the same less powerful buckshot of the QBS which takes away from its effectiveness... but not a lot. As you might be able to tell I really like this gun but due to its own limitations I had to put it lower on the list.

Who can complain about a pocket shotgun? Well actually I'm sure a lot of people can and do (primarily those who die from it). The SerbuShorty performs exactly how I imagine a secondary shotgun should: a small 3 shell capacity and a reduced -1 pellet count compared to auto shotties such as the M1014 or Saiga. These restraints may hold the Shorty back but with a decent reload and rate of fire it excels at its secondary role. I use it primarily when I'm playing recon or on Op Locker.

And finally... the UTS-12. I get the point of this weapon and I actually enjoyed using this gun like I did all the shotguns... well most of the time anyway. Giant ammo capacity, tube fed, slow rate of fire, and a reduced pellet count for a pump shottie all lead to this oddities presence. Maybe if slugs were in their glory days then I could see this weapons usefulness but as it stands its useable and you wont feel like your a disadvantage but its not superior. It is pretty cool looking though.

So in summary ROF > Damage for shotguns in BF4. I didn't use a lot of hard numbers and someone will probably try and crucify me for that but whatever. 500th post by the way.

TL;DR

My personal list of favorite shotguns in BF4:
DBV-12 > QBS-09 > M1014 > Saiga 20k > 870 MCS > Spas-12 > Hawk 12G > SerbuShorty > UTS-15

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "GamerRevolution" (Jan 3rd 2014, 6:47pm)

Date of registration
: Nov 21st 2013

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Saturday, January 4th 2014, 12:44am

I've played a bit with shotguns and noticed that the hipfire does not seem to be effected that much with the laser when looking at the circle. This made me wonder if the tactical light would be a better option for the blinding effect... What do you guys think?
"As I walk through the valley of the Shadow Of Death, I have no fear because I am the meanest mother ****er in the whole valley"
- Gen. George S. Patton

Date of registration
: Nov 8th 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Saturday, January 4th 2014, 1:17am

I've played a bit with shotguns and noticed that the hipfire does not seem to be effected that much with the laser when looking at the circle. This made me wonder if the tactical light would be a better option for the blinding effect... What do you guys think?

The "blinding effect" never stopped me, and every time I use it I find it never stops anyone else, either, except the rare guy you run into using IRNV/FLIR (and even then, he just shoots at the really bright thing). Imo between laser and light you'd be better off with a laser; the difference might not seem like very much, but it still makes some sort of difference, unlike the light which doesn't really do anything at all (like flares--I'm still trying to figure out why they put flares in this game).
My soldier profile. Numbers are overrated anyway.

Date of registration
: Oct 14th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Saturday, January 4th 2014, 4:30pm

It's sad that the pumps are so statistically inferior to the semis in BF4. I held for some time that the pumps where still the best choice if you could place that first shot well. Having played a lot with the shottys now I have to retract that statement because even if you place that first shot the pellet distribution is still too wacky to make up for the lack of dps.
Lemmings be lemmings

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 2

Sunday, January 12th 2014, 11:15am

I love the 870 MCS it's a beast. It does not disappoint. 2500+ kills and counting with it.

BANG BANG!

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,272)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Monday, January 13th 2014, 12:58pm

I noticed the same when comparing the semis to the pump action shotguns. Pellet distibution and spread itself seems inconsistent. I can say although that , like in BF3, I was getting some OHK kills at rather far distances, you just can not rely on it. Performance also highly depends on maps and gamemodes as well, in BF3 I felt that all weapon classes were generally about equally useful, with a couple of obvious exceptions. In BF4 shotguns are rather limited to Domination and Team Deathmatch. I believe the map design of BF3 was generally more appealing to a wider player base. So apart from the buckshot nerf in terms of armour, it might not be the shotguns that are not good enough, but the map design that is lacking.

That leads me to a question: As someone who always shoots on the move, and almost always going ADS, would a full or modified choke along with an ergo grip (where possible) hurt or increase my performance? And what about flechette rounds along that setup?

Maveco

You can't stop the Smooze!

(610)

Date of registration
: Mar 16th 2013

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Monday, January 13th 2014, 1:20pm

Full-choke Moving ADS: ((0.8 - 0.1) * (1.5 * 0.75)) + 0.1 = 0,8875

Mod-choke Moving ADS: ((0.8 - 0.1) * (1.25 * 0.75)) + 0.1 = 0,75625

0.75625/0.8875 = ~0,852

Full-choke pellet mod: 0.6
Mod-choke pellet mod: 0.8

0.6/0.8 = 0.75

0.75 < 0.852

I would say that the full-choke has a better ADS performance.

C0llis

Up and down. Bounce all around

(3,334)

Date of registration
: Apr 15th 2013

Battlelog:

Monday, January 13th 2014, 1:44pm

@VincentNZ

Maveco has already made the case for the full choke.

Regarding grips and flechettes: ergo/vert are the only worthwhile grips since recoil doesn't factor into shotguns much (if at all) and lower spread increase/max spread is also pretty moot. I would say flechettes win over buckshot because they are more consistent since body armor doesn't affect them at all and whenever you run into people running armor (which is often) while using buckshot the damage reduction is huge. You could try both and see what feels best.

Things people said

And reading Youtube comments still gives me Turbo Cancer.

It really is quite frustrating when Helen Keller sets up her LMG in the only doorway in/out of an area.

What kind of question is that? Since when is cheese ever a bad idea?

Hardline is a fun and sometimes silly Cops and Robbers sorta thing and I think that's great. Or it would be if it didn't suck.

Date of registration
: Jun 21st 2012

Reputation modifier: 8

Friday, January 17th 2014, 9:00pm

@VincentNZ

Maveco has already made the case for the full choke.

Regarding grips and flechettes: ergo/vert are the only worthwhile grips since recoil doesn't factor into shotguns much (if at all) and lower spread increase/max spread is also pretty moot. I would say flechettes win over buckshot because they are more consistent since body armor doesn't affect them at all and whenever you run into people running armor (which is often) while using buckshot the damage reduction is huge. You could try both and see what feels best.
+1
Flechettes also have lower cone spread than buckshot - 2.5, except UTS-15(2.0) and SPAS-12\Saiga 20k(2.5).
and higner muzzle velocity(450 vs 300)
and higner penetration (hello 3-4 people collateral kills)
Sorry for my bad english - it's not my native language and I have difficulties with acquiring speaking/writing practice in my country. If I accidently insult you or say something wrong - I'm sorry, you can feel free to correct me.

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,272)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Sunday, January 19th 2014, 12:21am

Thanks for the info and input. It is a shame really that both flechette and the chokes are unlocked rather late in the shotgun tree. 70-130 kills is just way too much just to test the different shotguns.