Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Cyphur" started this thread

Date of registration
: Oct 31st 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Wednesday, November 6th 2013, 8:42pm

Shotguns Discussion

Figured I'd start a thread on shotguns since I didn't see one yet. What's everyones opinions on the shotguns thus far? I fucken loved them in BF3/FPS games in general. Super fun to play with. Gonna get around to unlocking them here shortly.
Hail to the king, baby!

Date of registration
: Aug 22nd 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Wednesday, November 6th 2013, 9:35pm

Only having used the 870 (and the BB gun starting shotgun) and all I can say is that I love it! Slapped on the full choke so I see no need to go back to slugs. Seems like the OHK range with buck and flechette out does the damage curve of the slugs. Just waiting for my Saiga with frags.... EBR.... Explosive Battle Rifle!

Date of registration
: Jun 23rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Wednesday, November 6th 2013, 10:30pm

I have to say I'm quite disappointed with the spread. I've unlocked every single shotgun (save the super shorty) and unlocked the full choke with them all, but I don't think they're all that great. Up close, sure, you can one shot people. If you hit. If you don't, you're dead because they can kill you instantly as well - thanks, netcode.
When you use them at close / very close range they can work, but beyond that their usefulness drops to zero.

The spread is just so inauthentic. Use buckshot across a room, you get a 10-20cm hole, not 40-50cm.

One thing that I'll have to look a bit further into, however, is full choke + flechettes, but I don't hope for too much.
Zormau - Battlelog / Battlefield 4

Memorable quotes not taken yet:

Of course, this ignores the non-constant cross-sectional first moment of area across the chest as well as non-constant material properties of the boob; it would be difficult to perform a more detailed analysis (as in, I'd have to have a shape function AND I'd need to derive a function for elastic modulus as a function of lateral breast coordinate) but whatever. It's 2am and I'm lazy.

I always believed science should be very hands on experience.

You should also answer this question I had posed in that thread: Would you be willing to pay your surgeon more if he was going to use a chainsaw for the opening incision of surgery? Clearly using a chainsaw isn't truly suited for surgery but that doesn't really matter. If he's "skilled" enough to be able to use the wrong tools of the trade, he should be rewarded for that skill right?

Contortrix

Professional Ninja

(507)

Date of registration
: May 27th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Thursday, November 14th 2013, 12:56am

I'm wondering what the duckbill choke is useful for. I get what it does, but why would you want that?

Moon Knight

I didn't participate in off topic so all I got was this crappy title

(279)

Date of registration
: Apr 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Thursday, November 14th 2013, 1:04am

I'm wondering what the duckbill choke is useful for. I get what it does, but why would you want that?

I was thinking that if your enemies all happened to be lined up horizontally, you could headshot them without worrying about wasted pellets? I dunno. That's the best I got.

So, I think shotguns feel verrrry nice in this game. I have no idea if they are statically better/worse than that of BF3, but the buckshot seems to have a far higher effective range than before. Either that, or I'm insane. At about 15-25 meter ranges, I have gotten three shot kills with the 870 buckshot. Not too shabby if you ask me.

Also, try out the QBS in Locker. I once flanked the entire enemy team from behind with this, and got a killstreak of about 15 (I think). The effective range of it also feels pretty decent. This is with the bare ass gun with no attachments.

Spoiler Spoiler

Will it protect against STD's?

I'm a fan of the show, but not a "Brony". I don't obsess over it, but I do watch it and enjoy it.

That's like saying "I suck dick, but I'm not gay."

Fuck dubstep

Watcher-45

He's watching...

(758)

Date of registration
: May 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Thursday, November 14th 2013, 1:21am

Aim for the face, chance of double-kill headshots when encountering a squad.

I can never get it to work right. Seems to me against one person you need to put a few rounds into them, and against a group you have to do the same but now you have to hope one of them doesn't turn around.
I think I may have multikilled with it once, but normal barrels/chokes seem a lot more effective to me, esp since I'd rather drop one man of a squad dead than hurt several of them. A 5 man squad with 5 men at 75% health is more effective than a 5 man squad with 4 men at 100% health.

As far as effective shotgun range goes, since this is a videogame and shotguns are meant to be devastating up close, I can see the spreads being not true to life. That being said, I like the choke system. In BF3 Flech was my go-to ammunition because I felt the range of buckshot was too low. Put a full-choke on an 870 shooting buck shot and it feels like the BF3 one did shooting flech. Double-taps on people you would consider to be PDW/Carbine range no problem.
I can't wait to try flechette, but I am working on 100 kills with each before I grind individual ones for unlocks.

Of the ones I have used (QBS-SPAS), I can say that the 870 is easily the best, the HAWK is easily the worst, and the Shorty is surprisingly versatile when you unlock the chokes and an optic.
I run it RDS and modified and it is very effective as a sidearm. With a full choke and a little more attention to aiming it can basically perform like a 870 with a cylinder-bore.

That HAWK... idk. Has anyone else had issues with it? It feels like it is weak and/or has an insane spread for a pump. More often than not it'd require multiple hits, even up close, and I eventually ended up running it with a full choke and a laser to try to help the accuracy and it still seemed like it wasn't hitting with high success. I was getting quite frustrated with it, then I did manage to go on quite a kill-streak with it in OP-Lock. Got a squad's worth of people with it, then got a few more with my sidearm before I got snuffed out in a reload. That was the only highlight with it before I got to 100, then with the Saiga I was back to a comfort level with shotguns.

Also, a few times already I've ran as an assault with the 870, M26, and Shorty. All I can say is I have found my new favorite loadout for urban maps!

I ran it 870+buck+F/C, M26 Slug/Frag, and Shorty+M/C. 870 main, M26 for some range/indirect, and Shorty when shit hits the fan. Once I unlock the 870 all of the way, I plan on running it with a prisma and slugs, the M26 Dart, and the Shorty with an optic and M/C.
All bike, all the time!

Spoiler Spoiler

This post has been edited 4 times, last edit by "Watcher-45" (Nov 14th 2013, 1:36am)

Date of registration
: Jun 11th 2012

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Thursday, November 14th 2013, 2:06am

The main shotguns I have used so far are the 870, Hawk, UTS-15 and the Saiga. The 870 is great as you'd expect, and the Saiga now sounds spectacular.

The Hawk is, in my opinion, a great weapon. Although the pellets of the Chinese shotguns do less damage, they actually have more pellets and so do more damage. Running the Hawk with a full choke, laser, coyote and flechettes has down particularly well (although if you want to guarantee a one shot kill you should aim down sights.

I've also enjoyed the UTS-15, both with a full choke and buckshot and with slugs for a few kills. I think the UTS is the shotgun best suited to using slug rounds to offset having the lowest pellet count and to take advantage of the bullpup moving spread advantage. That said, I think it may have quite a narrow cone as I was getting good groupings on enemies.

Whilst the unknown pellet cones may balance this out somewhat, I don't see any real reason to use the SPAS anymore. Since it has the same fire rate as the 870 but one less pellet it is outright beaten by the 870 when it comes to pellets. With slugs or frags, the SPAS is an equally viable choice, but that this is the best the SPAS can hope to achieve is disappointing.
BF3 stats

Spoiler Spoiler

Watcher-45

He's watching...

(758)

Date of registration
: May 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Thursday, November 14th 2013, 7:23am

Whilst the unknown pellet cones may balance this out somewhat, I don't see any real reason to use the SPAS anymore. Since it has the same fire rate as the 870 but one less pellet it is outright beaten by the 870 when it comes to pellets. With slugs or frags, the SPAS is an equally viable choice, but that this is the best the SPAS can hope to achieve is disappointing.
IIRC the SPAS has 1 more shell than the 870 in it's magazine. That would be the primary advantage as well as any kind of accuracy bonus it might have as a result of -1 pellet.
All bike, all the time!

Spoiler Spoiler

Date of registration
: Dec 13th 2011

Battlelog:

Thursday, November 14th 2013, 9:35am

I think the defensive perk really takes a big dump over the shotties' effectiveness. The perk was stupid even for its intended purposees but now..

That is why I mostly played with auto shotguns. Saiga and the AK-shotgun. With buckshot and full choke they are good, I don't consider them a good choice for slug as you'll need 2 rounds up close unless 1 is to the head. Sure they are better at range but if you're trying to run a medium range shotgun you're just doing it wrong..

I still don't see a purpose behind the flechette or the frag rounds or why anyone would take them over buckshot.
Infiltrator out.

Date of registration
: Jun 18th 2012

Battlelog:

Thursday, November 14th 2013, 11:00am

Gonna miss the jackhammer. M1014 has come back, so I'm pretty happy.

First shotgun seems strong. Chokes are a great new customization option, although I'm not sure about the duckbill.