Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "Gorbaz The Dragon" started this thread

Date of registration
: Nov 15th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Saturday, September 24th 2016, 11:32pm

Long time BF3 player, just starting on BF4...

(Warning, long post, no TLDR. Regardless, skip to the bottom if you can't read it all)

Hey guys, it's been ages since I posted here, but I guess I can say I'm back...

I used to play a lot of BF3 until about 2 years ago, I was a big fan of the G3 and AN-94 in that game, I played mostly assault on non-vehicle maps and was an MBT/IFV driver in a small 4v4/8v8 team I was in for a short while.

After BF4 came out I began to spend more time on League of Legends until now I finally got to pick up BF4 since it was on sale and all the expansions went free...

The game feels a bit overwhelming, there are so many parallel progression routes so it feels like there is a huge amount of grinding to do just so I can access most of the stuff...

I mostly want to ask about infantry weapons for now, since I still need to get back into the BF/FPS mindset.

A few guns I liked so far are the ACR and the RFB, I just picked up the Bulldog and it seems like a pretty nice gun for CQ, haven't tried it on longer range scenarios yet. I feel like I want to lean somewhat towards the longer range weapons since that was the style I played in BF3 and from what I've seen so far, the BF4 infantry maps seem to cater very well to that style.

On the RFB I was running RDS and Holo, I picked up the HBar, but I didn't really feel a noticeable difference from using it. What loadouts should I try on it? None of the attackments really seem outstanding on it, the initial spread is already low, maybe HBAR+Ergo to improve the already decent moving spread? I am not sure I understand the spread decrease stat for this one well, is that a constant decrease or does it only start after a delay? The big thing about this gun I'd think is just getting the right rhythm, same as the semis in BF3 or tapping with the G3.

ACR I think HBAR is more the way to go, the compensator/muzzle break I don't really see any appeal in since judging by the recoil charts the dominant factor seems to be the high spread rather than the sideways recoil, and compensating for upwards recoil is simply a question of aiming properly.

I wasn't a fan of the AN-94 or the SCAR-H (AR version), the former feels really odd compared to BF3, maybe the strange upwards recoil pattern when spamming burst mode. I think I'll have to give it some more time before I really make a judgement on it. As far as attachments I feel like it goes the same way as in BF3: Sight+Hbar and nothing else, again comes back to the other attachments really feeling lackluster. The Scar H being a 4 hit kill in most cases really kills it for me, even though it is a 2hit when one is a HS, the gun just feels clunky and slow-killing.

Then on to kits...

I always keep pressing the wrong buttons in assault... I pull my paddies when I want a medkit and the other way around as well... I keep forgetting to swap them around...

I feel like the other kits give a lot of utility now when compared with BF3, I kinda liked the recon motion senor ball thingies, feels like it gives a lot of safety when using something like the RFB in mixed range combat. I haven't really used support or engi much yet. I f***ing hated the LAW, it feels like shooting peas at a tank, I'd rather run at it with C4... As far as support, there doesn't seem to be much that is particularly nice in the kit, apart from ammo packs which I guess are more useful since there is no ammo perk thing any more...

For secondaries/pistols
I haven't unlocked anything yet, I am liking the high fire rate on the P226, but I also have my eyes on the 5-7. The only thing I'm not so sure about is giving up the 4 hit to get a little extra fire rate. The deagle, compact and colt look interesting too, I'll have to try them I guess.

So, anyone have any suggestions as to what I should look to unlock? Or take issue with my analysis?

Wouldn't mind squadding up some time either, one of the reasons I didn't do much vehicle work in BF3 was because I did a lot of solo playing, it would be nice to drive or gun a bit...

My ID ATM is 3kEloIrelia so if anyone wants to play on some US or south america servers just shoot me a message.
Finesse

You do not have it.

Sleeper case...

[email protected]
Noctua NH-U14s

Asus Z97-I plus
2x8GB DDR3-1866

eVGA GTX 670 blower, can't remember what edition
Assortment of HDDs and SSDs
Silverstone SFX 600w

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Gorbaz The Dragon" (Sep 24th 2016, 11:44pm)

Date of registration
: Sep 7th 2016

Battlelog:

Sunday, September 25th 2016, 12:00am

One of the contributing reasons for why the AN-94 in "Battlefield 4" might feel wonky to you is due to the difference in the damage model for assault rifles compared to "Battlefield 3".

In "Battlefield 3", the maximum damage per bullet was 25 up to 8 metres. This meant that in close quarters, just 2 bursts from the old AN-94 to the body could down an enemy. However, during the life of "Battlefield 4", the maximum damage per bullet was changed to 24.5 up to 12.5 metres. Now, it will take 3 bursts from the new AN-94 to the body to down an enemy even if they are right in front of you.

The change in the maximum damage for bullets definitely negatively impacted the performance of the AN-94 the most compared to other assault rifles in my opinion, especially in my experience as someone with low accuracy who could not land headshots when an enemy runs up for the life of me.

Date of registration
: Dec 8th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Sunday, September 25th 2016, 12:31am

On the RFB I was running RDS and Holo, I picked up the HBar, but I didn't really feel a noticeable difference from using it. What loadouts should I try on it? None of the attackments really seem outstanding on it, the initial spread is already low, maybe HBAR+Ergo to improve the already decent moving spread? I am not sure I understand the spread decrease stat for this one well, is that a constant decrease or does it only start after a delay? The big thing about this gun I'd think is just getting the right rhythm, same as the semis in BF3 or tapping with the G3.

Yes, for "normal" DMRs in BF4 tapping rhythm is absolutely key. With 0.3 degree of Spread Increase Per Shot and slow Spread Recovery, any spamming kills your Damage Per Second. Further reading: BF4 Shooting Mechanics

BF4 Shoot-and-Recover Calculator

I filled the Calculator above out with 5 RFB setups... the same applies to the Mk11 Mod 0 and also SCAR-H SV, as they have the same relevant stats with regards to shot pacing. According to your Battlelog, you play on 60Hz servers.

As you can see, these 3 DMRs generally benefit from not running a Grip (hence NoGrip). HBar is optional... it doesn't help you shoot faster, while DMRs are generally already accurate enough for stationary targets up to 100m without HBar, and also moving targets up to ~50m without Ergo (not to mention DMR hipfire is so bad that Ergo doesn't help enough, even for Bullpups like RFB).

My DMR suggestions for RFB / Mk11 / SCAR-H SV: NoBar + NoGrip (can try Bipod because why not)
Best Long Range: SVD-12 HBar + AFG
Best Chance of Survival in Normal BF4 Engagements: SKS HBar / NoBar + Ergo

Credential: Top 5% kills with all DMRs except for SCAR-H SV (top 8%) and SVD-12 (top 7%) worldwide according to BF4Stats, ~86% of all soldier (non-vehicle) kills from DMRs.

• "Gorbaz The Dragon" started this thread

Date of registration
: Nov 15th 2012

Battlelog:

Sunday, September 25th 2016, 1:11am

One of the contributing reasons for why the AN-94 in "Battlefield 4" might feel wonky to you is due to the difference in the damage model for assault rifles compared to "Battlefield 3".

In "Battlefield 3", the maximum damage per bullet was 25 up to 8 metres. This meant that in close quarters, just 2 bursts from the old AN-94 to the body could down an enemy. However, during the life of "Battlefield 4", the maximum damage per bullet was changed to 24.5 up to 12.5 metres. Now, it will take 3 bursts from the new AN-94 to the body to down an enemy even if they are right in front of you.

The change in the maximum damage for bullets definitely negatively impacted the performance of the AN-94 the most compared to other assault rifles in my opinion, especially in my experience as someone with low accuracy who could not land headshots when an enemy runs up for the life of me.
While I see the point you make, I don't think the theory fits with how I find myself using the AN in CQ. My philosophy with it in BF3 was to abuse the high RoF and accuracy at the same time by spamming at the highest possible fire rate. So in CQ the difference between 2 and 3 bursts is negligible since it might as well be a 1 bullet difference, maybe +100-200 ms (I usually get 500ish clicks per minute) which is the same as on most normal RoF ARs. And that's not counting that even when hip spraying you are pretty likely to get a HS. In mid range (20-30+m) I think is where the 2-tap and focusing on headshots becomes much more powerful as a playstyle with the AN, but even then, just spamming and good recoil control can give you really quick TTKs.

Overall, for CQ, I was more enticed by the 2hit (HS+body) capability of the Bulldog which also has really nice handling too, I might go back and try the SCAR-H too. I realised I missed in the OP that I played quite a bit of CSGO in the last year, so it still takes me a bit of adjusting to get used to aiming well in BF.

Yes, for "normal" DMRs in BF4 tapping rhythm is absolutely key... *removed long quote*
Ahh 3versts, a name I remember, will have to give that post a full read through at some point... But it seems odd to me that recoil would be calculated based on server tick rate rather than client tick rate which (presumably, assuming DICE isn't completely stupid) is way higher than 30Hz... But, looks like I stick to 60tick for now

I'll take into account that quick data from the calculator and have a run at your DMR stats :D
Finesse

You do not have it.

Sleeper case...

[email protected]
Noctua NH-U14s

Asus Z97-I plus
2x8GB DDR3-1866

eVGA GTX 670 blower, can't remember what edition
Assortment of HDDs and SSDs
Silverstone SFX 600w

Labby

(6,445)

Date of registration
: Sep 26th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Sunday, September 25th 2016, 3:55am

The difference between the BF3 and BF4 AN94 is that the BF4 one has a burst rate limiter. Each burst is fired at 1200 rpm, but your ROF is capped at ~700 rpm.
[Aetherblade Medium Boots]

JOIN THE TEAMSPEAK (L)EVOLUTION: teamsym.nitrado.net