Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Paladin-Revere" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jul 27th 2016

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Wednesday, July 27th 2016, 2:15am

MG4 or M249

I always used the M249 for my love of SAWs. After unlocking everything, I wondered if there was anything better so I started to use the MG4. It seems similar, but trying to tap fire at medium range seems more unstable. Which is superior or is it just my recoil control? I use stubby grip on both, no barrel attachments.

Wednesday, July 27th 2016, 2:45am

M249 on console because lower FSM makes for easier recoil control.

Yeh, it's your recoil control, but it's not you, it's the controller. FSM is the number that explains the feeling you're feeling.

Date of registration
: Dec 3rd 2014

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Thursday, July 28th 2016, 5:52pm

They are basically the same. Both fire at 800 rpm, both are great on and off the bipod. Both can reach out to massive range on the bipod for easy kills. Sadly, dice refuses to give us an MG3 or any machinegun with >800 rpm and insane recoil which could be used as a dedicated stationary/ bipod MG. To me, this seems to contradict the whole point of the support class but oh well. Luckily we have MRAPs.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, July 30th 2016, 12:22am

They are basically the same. Both fire at 800 rpm, both are great on and off the bipod. Both can reach out to massive range on the bipod for easy kills. Sadly, dice refuses to give us an MG3 or any machinegun with >800 rpm and insane recoil which could be used as a dedicated stationary/ bipod MG. To me, this seems to contradict the whole point of the support class but oh well. Luckily we have MRAPs.
Well, when both are naked, it says that the MG4 has more stability, even by a little bit.

Date of registration
: Jun 23rd 2014

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Saturday, July 30th 2016, 5:24am

Are you going by the Battlelog stats bars? Those bars are basically useless. It says MG4 has higher stability probably because the MG4 has higher vertical recoil and lower horizontal recoil, while the M249 has higher horizontal recoil and lower vertical recoil. If you're good at recoil control, then the MG4 will theoretically be more accurate. In practice, I've found that the M249's ease of use outweighs any theoretical accuracy advantage of the MG4.

Date of registration
: Mar 17th 2015

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 8

Saturday, July 30th 2016, 2:09pm

I always used the M249 for my love of SAWs. After unlocking everything, I wondered if there was anything better so I started to use the MG4. It seems similar, but trying to tap fire at medium range seems more unstable. Which is superior or is it just my recoil control? I use stubby grip on both, no barrel attachments.

Here you can see the result of comparison with the diagnostic tool prepared for ILETH method. Remember that it is a "laboratory" test. 10 rounds fired in continuous burst, aiming to the center of mass of the body, without recoil correction and against a synthetic target (such as test range).

They are very similar, but MG4 is slightly more dispersive due to upper recoil. M249 produces more damage at all distances, and it hass more probably to get a lethal burst (DMG> 100). MG4 has better TTK (here it is 1 / TTK, or deaths per second) due to the higher number of headshots (more dispersive weapons tend to produce more headshots with less probability to kill)

So in direct confrontation, when the probability of killing of MG4 is high, wins against M249. Ranged M249 is better because of lower dispersivity.

The conclusion is that MG4 is better up to 23 meters and it is worse beyond.

Both can be very effective bipoded due to moderate dispersivity.

In any case, very similar weapons.

Saturday, July 30th 2016, 3:30pm

That tool is pr0n, pls release ;)

Date of registration
: Mar 17th 2015

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 8

Saturday, July 30th 2016, 7:52pm

That tool is pr0n, pls release ;)

LOL. thaks

Unfortunately this tool is made with EXCEL "for my eyes only" and hasn't a fully automatic operation (some manual copy and paste are needed). Here you see the fancy sheet, but the others sheets are a complete mess of order and format and you need to know where the correct numbers are.

I have the project to made another one for BF1 with the same philosophy and some refinements, but with a "false" automatism, ie with a large database of precalculated results that can be choosen and shown.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "leptis" (Jul 31st 2016, 11:35pm)

Sunday, July 31st 2016, 7:36pm

I understand :)

I'll have a windoze pc soon so hopefully I can make some tools that I can share with you guys and stop being such a beggar hahah

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, October 20th 2016, 12:22am

Does anyone know any good console setups for the MG4 so it can try to compete with the M249?