Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "SteadyFlow" started this thread

Date of registration
: Aug 15th 2015

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Saturday, October 24th 2015, 1:18pm

Yes, hardware specific audio drivers are supported in Windows - but they all have to interact with the Windows audio layer as well.

The only drivers that can bypass Windows somewhat are ASIO (Audio stream input output) drivers which are used for professional applications, but the application actually needs to support these drivers - games don't unfortunately. Most sound cards these days come with ASIO driver support.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "SteadyFlow" (Oct 26th 2015, 10:17am)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, October 25th 2015, 8:11pm

According to this Microsoft article, the audio latency (round-trip) in Windows 10 has been lowered by 4.5-16 ms compare to Windows 8.1.

Low Latency Audio (Windows Drivers)

I unfortunately cannot test this right now as I'm running Win 8.1

Date of registration
: May 11th 2015

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 2

Monday, October 26th 2015, 1:51am

Now this is interesting about Win 10 and use-small-buffer API.

StadyFlow if you don't want/have time, I will gladly ask on official forums to see if devs know and plan to use this new capabilty in OS.

Monday, October 26th 2015, 2:13am

Yeh ASIO is what I meant by proper drivers. Shame to hear that games aren't using them yet :(

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, October 26th 2015, 8:31am

Now this is interesting about Win 10 and use-small-buffer API.

StadyFlow if you don't want/have time, I will gladly ask on official forums to see if devs know and plan to use this new capabilty in OS.

According to the article, the latency reduction in Win 10 that I mentioned above will be seen without any code changes or driver updates compared to Win 8.1.

Systems with updated drivers can provide even lower round-trip latency if some new Win 10 audio APIs are used (described in detail in the article).

Yes, it would be cool if you could find out from the DEVs if these APIs will be used (assuming the audio Drivers supports them).

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, October 26th 2015, 8:33am

Yeh ASIO is what I meant by proper drivers. Shame to hear that games aren't using them yet :(
Yes, I believe ASIO uses smaller buffers (adjustable in driver) to reduce latency but this can cause buffer underruns if the CPU cannot transfer the audio frames fast enough (pops and crackles) - so it might be tricky to incorporate this into a game, just a guess on my part.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "SteadyFlow" (Oct 26th 2015, 8:38am)

Monday, October 26th 2015, 1:26pm

Yeh that's right, among other things like decent timers (the winAPI timers SUCK). Corect also that they require a fairly beefy PC, but then again, so does gaming ;)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, October 26th 2015, 6:58pm

I get that part and then there is:

Quoted

3. If a driver supports small buffer sizes (<10ms buffers), will all applications in Windows 10 automatically use small buffers to render and capture audio?
No. By default, all applications in Windows 10 will use 10ms buffers to render and capture audio. If an application needs to use small buffers, then it needs to use the new AudioGraph settings or the WASAPI IAudioClient3 interface, in order to do so. However, if one application in Windows 10 requests the usage of small buffers, then the Audio Engine will start transferring audio using that particular buffer size. In that case, all applications that use the same endpoint and mode will automatically switch to that small buffer size. When the low latency application exits, the Audio Engine will switch to 10ms buffers again.

So user has to update drivers and devs have to enable their game to utilise it.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, October 26th 2015, 7:25pm

Or rather, the support has to be first added to the drivers and devs have to enable their game to utilize it :P - this is for additional reduction in latency that Win 10 can provide, the previous 4.5-16 ms reduction comes for free.

If we assume that all updated drivers for Windows 10 will already have this feature implemented, then what you said is absolutely correct, i.e, user has to update drivers and devs have to enable their game to utilise it.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "SteadyFlow" (Oct 26th 2015, 7:35pm)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, October 26th 2015, 7:31pm

Quoted

My question is -- does DICE have in plan to use this Windows 10 feature, and if yes, does DICE see this implemented in BF4 or such feature is to come in next instalment of Battlefield?

Quoted

While this isn't a question I can answer myself, I'll pass this along and perhaps we can get some insight.

-Stiv

Now hat's EA_Stiv there. Just hope he does what he says.