Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Wednesday, March 4th 2015, 5:06am

The explanation that "terrain based" does not in fact mean "urban" felt like they were trying really, really hard not to call the community idiots, it was great. xD
Who Enjoys, Wins

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,088)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Friday, March 6th 2015, 3:29am

I just read the update today, and was, naturally rather disgusted. Of course I would have voted for anything urban, since it is clearly missing in BF4. I would be happy if they introduced a Zavod 2.0, though, since it generally works as a map, though the more I play it, the more flaws I find. However I find the arguments with which they dismiss the urban setting rather half-assed, stupid and inconsistent.

Firstly, I would not call Shanghai an urban map, since they use it as a kind of gameplay indicator of how it is played. Shanghai follows the exact same rules as their referred terrain based maps, Lancang, Golmud and close to every other map in BF4. Large areas of terrain, with free-standing buildings. In the end, Shanghai plays way more like Lancang Dam, than, say, Azadi or Propaganda, although they share the "Urban". So urban is nothing more than a theme or setting like Desert, Jungle or Mountain.

Secondly, I can not see how destruction can be an issue. If you look at Zavod and compare it to Shanghai, destruction wise, it seems clear to me that Zavod "wins" hands down. What can you not destroy there? Every wall and door at C and D, every glass pane, every house on B, even every little wall and so forth, you can even dig trenches to protect your own castle. Shanghai has the Levolution, a couple of walls and windows. But maybe it is a huge issue, I can not doubt DICE words since I have no clue about programming anything, but when destruction causes problems performance-wise, then why do it at all or in manners that causes issues? Bank Job proved that you do not need to be able to tear every wall down to have fun gameplay and a decent map.
Naturally there need to be indectructible environments, you even had that in BC2, with it's stupidly overdone destruction. Decrease the amount and decrease the amount of trouble it does.

Well if the environments themselves present an issue, like the surrounding skyscrapers of Shanghai and Dawnbreaker, then why not choose a different setting? Maybe China and Russia does not only consist of big boomtowns? Maybe, there are things like villages and towns? I do not know, I've never been there. Look at Talah Market or Azadi, both happen to be in Tehran, a major city, still infinite skyline...

In the end I do not want to disregard that terrain-based maps do work. They can be rather fun. Firestorm, Caspian, and said Zavod work. BF3 had quite a few more of those. I just think that asking for a "community-made" and then disregard one major wish right from the start, does not build up trust. If I think about it, it seems like they already figured out what they want and have a clear view of the map in mind already and just want to see what textures they want to put on the ground. SO then the players can come and say: "Whoa this is my map!".

Vehicle-friendly is a major issue for me though. I have enough of it really. They force me in them all the time if I want to win rounds. I understand that you probably can not fit five pieces of armour and four pieces of air assets on a Zavod sized map, but I do not want another overcrowded map where I, as infantry am forced to get into a vehicle, or stay at "the infantry flag". I have, I do not know, a dozen maps like this already. Geez, just make Azadi, Markaz, Jalalabad, Mashtuur, Karkand or Shaqi, but leave me alone, with this community-farce.

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Friday, March 6th 2015, 4:29am

I just think that asking for a "community-made" and then disregard one major wish right from the start, does not build up trust. If I think about it, it seems like they already figured out what they want and have a clear view of the map in mind already and just want to see what textures they want to put on the ground. SO then the players can come and say: "Whoa this is my map!".

That was always how it was supposed to be. They're building what's supposed to be an exceptionally "standard" Battlefield map (Zavod, Caspian, Firestorm, Rogue, End Game, Final Stand), and the community is helping shape it by choosing setting, influencing flags, vehicles, routes, and other details like that. It's a DICE map, refined and detailed by the community.
Who Enjoys, Wins

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,802)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Tuesday, March 17th 2015, 10:42pm

Source

Quoted from "/u/tiggr"

Hi everyone!

I wanted to give you an update on what is happening in the Community Map Project!

We are hard at work making what we call "paper layouts" based on the information we have so far:
1.High level framework
2.Jungle
3.Points of interest poll results.

These paper layouts have a deadline (today) - we have a meeting at 3pm PST where we will meet up as a team, and pick out the top three paper layouts made by the team that fits with your votes.

Then, we will take these three paper layouts to the next stage - fleshing out more details and make it a proper concept.

These three concepts is then what you will finally vote for as the concept we go with for the Community Map.

As for the results of poll #2 - we will publish them once we have the concepts ready so you get all of it at once!

We are getting really close to nailing this and going into production - which means we will be starting playtests and updates on the CTE!

More info about that process here: cmp/roadmap - Battlefield_4_CTE
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Date of registration
: Apr 10th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 2

Thursday, March 19th 2015, 3:55am

Oman is very probably the worst designed map in battlefield history, and really a case study of how not to design a battlefield map. Barring lopsided teams, US must secure basically the entire beach on the first push or they die from a swarm of tanks and LAVs.

I feel like maps that were setup this way in BF2 had an uneven ticket count to help this out whereas BF3/4 have fully even tickets. I feel like in BF2 Karkand the US team had a lot more tickets to compensate for their crappy start position. Maybe I'm wrong and Oman was always even and crappy.

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,802)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, April 3rd 2015, 6:39am

Data Browser

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

elementofprgress

Wizard moderator

(3,544)

Date of registration
: Jun 28th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Friday, April 3rd 2015, 7:37am

map C is the only obviously balanced map. It will win by a landslide.

Symthic Forum Rules
Battlefield Data Browser
Come join us on teamspeak!!!
Symthic/Team Symthic Teamspeak: TeamSym.Nitrado.net

Date of registration
: Apr 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Friday, April 3rd 2015, 7:51am

lose*
[Aristocrat's Shoes]
TLDR -
Teamwork is where players function by themselves, but their effectiveness is multiplied when they work together. Not a checklist of "did we bring a healer so we can start playing?"

elementofprgress

Wizard moderator

(3,544)

Date of registration
: Jun 28th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Friday, April 3rd 2015, 7:57am

lose*

im to drunk to understand German sarcasm. explain?

P.S thank god for spell check

Symthic Forum Rules
Battlefield Data Browser
Come join us on teamspeak!!!
Symthic/Team Symthic Teamspeak: TeamSym.Nitrado.net

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,802)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, April 3rd 2015, 8:07am

@elementofprgress

Everyone's voting for A and B right now. That is why C will lose by a landslide.
Data Browser

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "NoctyrneSAGA" (Apr 3rd 2015, 8:20am)