Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Dark_Ethereal" started this thread

Date of registration
: Nov 26th 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Wednesday, May 28th 2014, 6:28pm

CTE Uniform Soldier Aiming Info

Hey, I just wanted to tell you all about Uniform Soldier Aiming, which is in CTE right now, and will be put into vanilla soon with the next patch.

I've been the guy campaigning about this from the start and I've been in dialogue with the dev who made it "jjju" months before CTE came out, and I'm still talking to him about Uniform Soldier Aiming now, so I know my stuff!

What's Uniform Soldier Aiming?
Uniform soldier aiming (UsA for short) is a new, optional way for the game to set your sensitivity factor when using scopes, based on the sight FOV, to try to give you the most uniform feeling sensitivity, regardless of the magnification.
The original requested purpose of the feature was either to provide the best sensation of sensitivity, or the best practical sensitivity for muscle memory, but it turns out both are one and the same.

Some notes about FOV
BF4 vanilla uses a hor+ FOV system. That means it takes the FOV angle you tell it to use, converts it from a horizontal angle to a vertical angle based on a 4:3 screen, then uses that vertical FOV angle to render the game. That means if your screen is wider than a 4:3 screen, your horizontal FOV is actually wider. Most games use this system so don't worry about it.
BF4 CTE and eventually Vanilla are going to move to a dual hor+ and vertical system where you see what vertical value your horizontal value becomes. Right now CTE is using this bar. The idea behind using both is because having the vertical value makes it easier for players to do calculations, which is exactly what you do here on symthic!

All the FOV values obtained from the files are vertical FOV numbers

The iron sight and RDS sights have a FOV value in the files of 40 and 50 respectively, however this is not necessarily true if FOV scaling is enabled. If FOV scaling is enabled, then for these sights, the ADS FOV equals Hip_FOV * (Sight_FOV_Value / Default_Hip_FOV). Default Hip FOV is 55 vertical.
So if you have a vertical FOV of 74 (which is current vanilla FOV 90) and you are using iron sights, your ADS FOV is 75 * (50/55) = 68.2 vertical

How CTE UsA works
To use UsA it has to be turned on in the control menu.
The UsA formula is tweakable with a "coefficient" variable (which I will call C in the maths), which can be edited by changing the value of "GstInput.SoldierUniformAimingCoefficient" in the setting file.

When the coefficient C = 0, then the formula used to calculate a sight's sensitivity factor is: SensFactor = tan(ZoomFov/2)/tan(HipFov/2)
At this setting, the formula acts to make the "mouse velocity to linear screen center velocity ratio" constant. What that means is that if you could measure the velocity of the image where it passes the screen center, when moving the mouse at a constant speed, between two different FOVs, there would be no change.

When the coefficient is C > 0, then the formula is SensFactor = atan(tan(ZoomFov/2)*C) / atan(tan(HipFov/2)*C)
To understand where this formula comes from, the original idea was to use the formula ZoomFov/HipFov to synchronize the "mouse distance to half FOV angle turn" number to make it constant for all scopes. What that would do would be to make it so that it would take the same mouse movement to move something at the top edge center of your screen to your cross hairs, no matter what FOV you were at.
When this formula was converted to work on synchronizing the horizontal mouse distance to half FOV angle turn number, the following equation was obtained:
SensFactor = atan(tan(ZoomFov/2)*W/H) / atan(tan(HipFov/2)*W/H)
Where W is screen Width
And H is Screen Height
Which means the current formula replaces W/H with C.
So if C = W/H, the horisontal half FOV turn distance will be constant.

By changing H to any distance you want, you can effectively calculate the value needed to synchronize the mouse distance needed to move something any screen distance away from your cross-hairs to the screen center across all FOVs

If you haven't figured out already, the sensitivity factor is another thing which multiplies you mouse position change to define your angular position change.

Tuning the Coefficient
The new default for the coefficient is 1.333333, which is 4/3, however the old default used to be 0, so you will need to manually edit the setting, or reset your control settings to take advantage of it.
Here I'll discuss the effects of various C values to help you get an idea of their effect.

C = 0 (Old default)
C = 0 looked promising for a constant sensation of sensitivity on paper, but not in practice.
At C = 0, high FOV sights work fine, but low FOV (High magnification) scopes feel less sensitive. This isn't necessarily a bad thing if you are looking for it.
There may still be some merit in this formula for possible better aiming at things near the screen center, but it's dubious.

C = 4/3 (New default)
This is the best working value we have found so far. Incidentally, it's the same value used in counter-strike games!
C = 4/3 makes all the scopes feel the same speed, and should provide a good sensitivity relationship to maintain drag shooting muscle memory across sights too.

C = 1
C = 1 makes the mouse distance to half vertical FOV synchronized.
C = 1 works very well enough for sensitivity sensation, but may become inaccurate for muscle memory at the left and right extremes of the screen.

C = W/H
Setting C to your aspect ratio on a wide angle screen to synchronize your horizontal angles may work, but might not be optimal.
It will work fine on high FOV sights as always, but at low FOV high zoom sights, it will feel a bit faster than normal.
Try it out if you want.

Soldier Zoom Sensitivity
Zoom sensitivity allows you to define how great your ADS sensitivity is in relation to your hipfire sensitivity. It works with UsA on or off.
Basically it's just a percentage set in the menu which all your ADS sensitivities will be multiplied by to get your new value.

Soldier Zoom Sensitivity Advanced options
In the settings file, there are the following new variables in CTE.

GstInput.SoldierZoomSensitivityCloseMagnRange 1.000000
GstInput.SoldierZoomSensitivityCloseRange 1.000000
GstInput.SoldierZoomSensitivityIronSight 1.000000
GstInput.SoldierZoomSensitivityLongRange 1.000000
GstInput.SoldierZoomSensitivityMediumRange 1.000000
GstInput.SoldierZoomSensitivityVeryLongRange 1.000000

All of these variables act the same as Soldier Zoom Sensitivity, but for specific classes of scopes, so if you don't like any of the current sensitivity options available, you can tune each set of sights how you like.

What's making it to vanilla?
All the options seen here will make it to vanilla eventually, probably exactly as they are right now, however, the next patch to go out unfortunately has an outdated version of UsA where the Coefficient is locked to 0 and not present in the settings file, so the sensitivity when using UsA won't feel perfect just yet.

Also note that all the stuff that involves file editing isn't available to console users, so that means no coefficient tuning (locked to 4/3 by default once the second vanilla update fixes it), and no per scope class sensitivity options.

But I don't want it!
You don't have to use it, it's all optional.

And if you don't like the feel of UsA because you are used to the old RDS sensitivity, you can tune your Zoom Sensitivity to make them the same, and let UsA deal with all the other sights.

ViperFTW

Suidae cathexis

(2,737)

Date of registration
: Jul 1st 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Wednesday, May 28th 2014, 6:59pm

So...Does this mean that I don't have to have a button dedicated to lowering my mouse DPI for when I'm gunning in an MBT/LAV anymore?

Everybody's Favourite Worthless Support and LMG Fan! :thumbsup:

Song currently stuck in my head is: Red Cold River by Breaking Benjamin!

• "Dark_Ethereal" started this thread

Date of registration
: Nov 26th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Wednesday, May 28th 2014, 7:02pm

So...Does this mean that I don't have to have a button dedicated to lowering my mouse DPI for when I'm gunning in an MBT/LAV anymore?

afraid not. It was called Uniform SOLDIER sensitivity specifically to indicate otherwise.
But I've been trying to get jjju to work on vehicle sensitivities.

ViperFTW

Suidae cathexis

(2,737)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, May 28th 2014, 7:09pm

afraid not. It was called Uniform SOLDIER sensitivity specifically to indicate otherwise.

Ah right, fair enough I suppose. I did notice that but I assumed it'd just be DICE giving the mechanic a cool-sounding name as opposed to a description of what it did :pinch:

Date of registration
: Feb 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Wednesday, May 28th 2014, 7:12pm

there are still vehicle fov and vehicle sensitiviy though...
"I'm just a loot whore."

stuff mostly unrelated to BF4 that interests nobody

bf4
on 13/05/2016
23rd M320FB user on pc(13/05/16)
rush mode score RANK:2794 TOP:2% OUT OF:215398
obliteration mode scoreRANK:994 TOP:1% OUT OF:159466
handgun medals RANK:2236 TOP:2% OUT OF:143874
longest headshot RANK:9512 TOP:4% OUT OF:257589
recon score RANK:10871 TOP:4% OUT OF:274899
general score per minute RANK:10016 TOP:4% OUT OF:294774

bf3
31/3/2012 4:58:

Headshot distance RANK:493* TOP:0%
Revives per assault minute RANK: 6019 TOP: 3%
Headshots / kill percentage RANK:25947 TOP:13%
MVP ribbons RANK:18824 TOP:11%

*= 6 if we not count the EOD BOT headshots

@kataklism

ARGUMENT DESTROYED 100

ENEMY KILLED [REASON] JSLICE20 100

WRITING SPREE STOPPED 500

link to full-size old avatar:
http://i.imgur.com/4X0321O.gif

ViperFTW

Suidae cathexis

(2,737)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, May 28th 2014, 8:58pm

there are still vehicle fov and vehicle sensitiviy though...

Vehicle FOV is pointless and vehicle sensitivity adjusts sensitivity in vehicles overall which won't solve the problem of the Gunner seat having like double the sensitivity of the driver's seat...

marbleduck

Smoked Salmon Best Salmon

(1,514)

Date of registration
: Dec 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Wednesday, May 28th 2014, 11:03pm

I wasn't quite able I understand what you were saying about the new FOV system.

On a 16:9 monitor, if I had a 90 degree FOV, would I set it to 74 to get the same FOV on CTE? Or is that bit unchanged?

If I have ADS scaling off, will my ADS FOV be the same across a 70 degree FOV and a 90 degree FOV?

Platoon Marble Duck

Hate Mail

"you obviously don't know what an argument is as there is only one person battling. Do you really fucking think I want subs? You think you can act all big and powerful just because you sit on a computer at least 6 hours a day like the probably nerdy unwanted retard you are with 4.3k subs? You think 4.3k subs is a lot? LOL you need medicine man. I don't want any subs as i just have a google account for other media and writing comments. Think twice before you act. You even said in your video you aren't that great of a player, and the comments agree you aren't. Maybe you should once again think twice before you act, stop being such an annoying, ignorant bastard that everyone wants to shut up, and god, literally, just shut up. Your voice gave me a headache :s"

"As a youtuber shouldn't be trying to be reeling in your viewers with exciting stuff being said not your boring ass commentary for your video"

"The more you watch his vid the dumber he gets I swear he's borderline autistic look I got shot behind cover beacuase thin sheets metal are unpenetrable. Bf4 is just as quiet and tactical as bf3 random explosion in the background . Player has dissconected from chat
You started playing bf3 and never touched bfc1/2. Please do yourself a favor and shutdown your generic cod channel down"

"Nice clickb8 Faggot w8ting for your shit tier video to disable comments . Fucking newfag cancer go play some cod you activisiom cock faggot"

"I don't see why he [MarbleDuck] always tries to shit on levelcap he is better and has a million more subs...and also "there isnt a best gun in she game there are guns that are better that others at different engagement distances" yes thats true and whichever is the best/most average at all of them is the "best gun""

"Marbleduck you don't know shit lol levelcap knows more than you do you cant talk about how someone puts up garbage when you do yourself your a newcomer to YouTube acting like you know shit step up in the food chain first then you have the right to talk otherwise your just a fish trying to compete with sharks"

"Why don't we just witness "LevelCap vs MarbleDuck" One on One both on Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 seen as there is so much Controversy about the Two Youtubers"

"stfu cunt, BF3 was way better end of discussion"

"Stfu man, you're be littleing the most looked upon Battlefield Youtuber. No one cares about you, how much of an ego you have, or quite frankly your opinion. It's a fucking game.... Does it really fucking matter? Pathetic man."

"fuck you asshole, dont talk shit about total"

"Wtf is your problem? You have no subs and he has millions, yet you pick on him like some kind of stubborn, ignorant, rude child born with a silver spoon is his mouth. It's easy to do that, for example... You said there was no background noise yet there is. You say you're a fairly good player, you're not."

"please talk like a normal person and not like a professional"

elementofprgress

Wizard moderator

(3,544)

Date of registration
: Jun 28th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Thursday, May 29th 2014, 1:55am

Good work. Gathering all the information into one post was needed.

For accuracy sake. Iorn sites FOV is 42, and you were spot on with RDS FOV at 50

Source code

DataContainerAsset 21f61d237717be4cb6bf1c50ffa3240c
    $::Asset
        $::DataContainer
        Name Gameplay/Weapons/Common/ZoomLevels/DefaultIronSights
    Data df6f005c1dfa294e8e212ecab83ac01c
ZoomLevelData df6f005c1dfa294e8e212ecab83ac01c
    $::DataContainer
    FieldOfView 42.0

Symthic Forum Rules
Battlefield Data Browser
Come join us on teamspeak!!!
Symthic/Team Symthic Teamspeak: TeamSym.Nitrado.net

Date of registration
: Apr 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 17

Thursday, May 29th 2014, 3:03am

35 FOV irons master race.
[Aristocrat's Shoes]
TLDR -
Teamwork is where players function by themselves, but their effectiveness is multiplied when they work together. Not a checklist of "did we bring a healer so we can start playing?"

Pheo

I turn down for no one

(1,174)

Date of registration
: May 3rd 2012

Reputation modifier: 14

Thursday, May 29th 2014, 3:17am

You do this and I will blow you.

No homo.