Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Islandwarrior" started this thread

Date of registration
: Mar 28th 2014

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 2

Tuesday, May 6th 2014, 9:23am

Knife kills: what's the point? (pun intended)

Unless you're trying to get all the dog tags/assignments or just humiliate your victim, it doesn't seem to be of any value to knife someone. If you've got a silenced weapon (read: secondary) it's pretty much just as stealthy to fill em full o' holes and be on your way, without the risk of a few seconds of utter helplessness as you take your sweet time plunging that blunt machete into their heart (also, random counter knife deaths when they happen to turn at just the wrong moment). While I do like the knife animations (mostly) I really hate being such a sitting duck. I don't think you should be able to slice and dice like in other games, but some sort of benefit would be nice (25 melee bonus doesn't count, if you can knife you can probably line up a headshot).

I don't know if this has been suggested, but I like the idea of using your victim as a meatshield. I don't know what the specifics would be, but some kind of damage reduction (50% for a few hits?) would give you some kind of tactical reason to knife. Too many times I've knifed sniper/camper #1 and gotten obliterated by sniper/camper #2 because they heard something or decided to turn around and take advantage of the 2.5(?) seconds of free shots they have. In those 2.5 seconds I could've easily pistoled them to death and been on my merry way.

I get if you hate silencers or (somehow) completely run out of ammo it gives you a stealthy/last resort option but outside of 1v1 I really don't see how it's justified.

But I will admit, it is incredibly satisfying.
Toodles.

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,974)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Tuesday, May 6th 2014, 9:37am

just humiliate your victim

DICE has pretty much said this before somewhere. The Knife is meant for humiliation and that's about it.

In BF4, it has the added benefit of preventing a revive.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, May 6th 2014, 9:52am

Meh. In that case you might as well teabag.

Also: knifing prevents revives but... head shots/explosives don't?

Logic!
Toodles.

Mofixil

Sometimes I just get blinded by hate. And tears.

(377)

Date of registration
: Jul 27th 2013

Reputation modifier: 9

Tuesday, May 6th 2014, 10:02am

It's much harder to get a knife kill than a headshot/splash kill.
It's more about risk/reward.

Date of registration
: Jan 27th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Tuesday, May 6th 2014, 10:58am

For when you're out of ammo at point blank and you want to gamble for a cheap easy kill that you don't even need to aim for.

Date of registration
: Nov 21st 2013

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Tuesday, May 6th 2014, 12:56pm

Meh. In that case you might as well teabag.

Also: knifing prevents revives but... head shots/explosives don't?

Logic!
Why not just knife and teabag? It's double humiliation! :thumbsup:

"Dip, Dip, potato chip" -BFF Noob
"As I walk through the valley of the Shadow Of Death, I have no fear because I am the meanest mother ****er in the whole valley"
- Gen. George S. Patton

Date of registration
: Aug 31st 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Tuesday, May 6th 2014, 1:56pm

If dog tags were player made, just like the emblems, you should get them for yourself as a reward.
Too bad they aren't.

Either war is obsolete or men are.
- R. Buckminster Fuller

---BF3---

----BF4----

Date of registration
: Jan 16th 2014

Battlelog:

Tuesday, May 6th 2014, 9:39pm

I almost never knife anymore since i'm still unlocking things for the c45 and there are other assignments that require pistols kills. Plus the fact that your defenseless for the entire time, much easier to put a couple in the snipers eye than knife them. I've actually been sniped while knifing a sniper, not cool.

Date of registration
: Feb 11th 2014

Battlelog:

Tuesday, May 6th 2014, 10:34pm

The knife is mostly arbitrary, but there's still some benefits you might want to consider.

-There's the stealth/no revive combo, which is useful, albeit situational at best. I often knife when I flank, because of said benefits, and I don't run suppressors often on shotguns, because of the penalty.

-You get the players dogtags.

-Knifing intimidates people. There's nothing like shanking a guy in the back that reminds people of that one Battlefield friends level 100 colonel. I've found that the more you scare someone, the worse they'll play, meaning their aim and such will be off. Other acts emulate this effect too, like headshotting and ranged shots, but knifing is single-handedly the best tool available to you for this.

-If you don't get the fear factor, sometimes you get what I call ''Suicide Knifers''. These people will constantly push for your tags. They'll stalk you, parachute from behind, drive jeeps straight in your path. 9/10 times, they're free kills. These types of people are encountered mostly on DOM/TDM, where arguably the stupidest players inhabit.

-You can jump behind the guy in the middle of a firefight (provided he isn't very good) and knife him. Works best when out of ammo.

(somehow) completely run out of ammo

Good players do somehow run out of ammo.

I don't know if this has been suggested, but I like the idea of using your victim as a meatshield. I don't know what the specifics would be, but some kind of damage reduction (50% for a few hits?) would give you some kind of tactical reason to knife. Too many times I've knifed sniper/camper #1 and gotten obliterated by sniper/camper #2 because they heard something or decided to turn around and take advantage of the 2.5(?) seconds of free shots they have. In those 2.5 seconds I could've easily pistoled them to death and been on my merry way.

In the light of these reasons, I really don't think your idea would work. Stealth and humiliation play a much larger role than you give them credit for. Besides, if you didn't notice, people go for the knife kills all the time, even if that means suiciding/making stupid decisions. It's player mentality. Increasing the reward given for knifing would make a bad situation worse, when you've got a shitton of level five's running after you with their knife drawn. Sometimes, you have to balance around stupid.

You're also inviting realism buffs to attack you right here. Using a dead body as a meat shield doesn't seem like something the military would do, nor would the bullets not penetrate the body. Battlefield aims for authenticity, and while a lot in this game doesn't make any sense (lol aircraft physics), anything that agrees with both balance and somewhat authenticity is fine; your idea doesn't agree with either of them.
"Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at."

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, May 7th 2014, 4:23pm

nor would the bullets not penetrate the body.

Last I checked, bodies can absolutely stop bullets. In fact, many bullets are designed to expand and stop within the body cavity. Granted, high caliber or FMJ rounds will penetrate, but they will still lose kinetic energy. No matter how you look at it, if a corpse is between you and a bullet, the bullet will not be as effective.
You speak of realism? (pointless in bf4 anyway) But let's remember than in war nearly every soldier is wearing body armor.

Hollow-Points
Do I need to mention buckshot? That's not penetrating anything.

Using a dead body as a meat shield doesn't seem like something the military would do

I'm sure it's not standard procedure, but then again 95% of people playing this game are not military. At all.

Knifing intimidates people
What?
I mean sure I get pissed when someone knifes me, but I never think "I'm so scared".
It's called "rage quit" not "terror quit" for a reason.

"Fear" is subjective. you cannot claim it to be a balancing factor. Symthic exists because ".01 v recoil" is objective and absolute while "this gun feels good" is subjective and more or less useless as far as balancing the game goes.
Toodles.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Islandwarrior" (May 7th 2014, 4:32pm)