Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "RichieSnow" started this thread

Date of registration
: Apr 8th 2014

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 2

Friday, April 18th 2014, 3:52am

Visual Recoil and Gun Balance (Sniper Rifles and ACOG 4x)

So this is my first thread and hopefully this hasn't been brought up before...

But, I have been reading the visual recoil thread since its inception. I have always thought that visual recoil was somehow used to "Balance" weapons. Some guns where stats seem to not make a gun viable, might have better visual recoil Etc.

So I went to the test range and thought about using sniper rifles. I was thinking to myself "The JNG 90 sucks complete ass whipe, why is it in the game?"

So I put 4x Scopes and Laser sights on a few of the Sniper Rifles and notices a couple things.

(EDIT) I used The GOL Magnum and The M40a5 Because of their similar fire rates and 1 shot head shot kill at any range

(Edit)Some rifles have the same animation, Which confuses me abit. But also makes me think some animations are in the game for balance.

1. The M40a5 Has almost no visual recoil with any sight. Also I noticed the laser dot moves slightly to the left then back right, but barely moves, allowing for easy follow up shots with the straight pull at max RPM. (Jus follow the red dot)

2. The GOL Magnum has insane visual recoil. With the straight pull attached it was much harder to keep track of the Red dot. It seemed to bounce down then up. Also the scope would bounce in a crazy fashion. Much harder to line up follow up shots with the straight pull at max RPM.

3. The SV 98 Had a weird downward but almost completely vertical recoil, was much easier to keep track of firing at max RPM.

Now I wasn't able to do extensive testing because I don't have all the same scopes for every rifle, also im on ps4 which means I cant do all the extra stuff you PC wizards do.

I'm convinced visual recoil is a gun balancing mechanic.

Hope this wasn't a waste of a thread

This post has been edited 4 times, last edit by "Labby" (Apr 18th 2014, 6:27am) with the following reason: Disabled Billy Mays Mode

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(10,156)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Friday, April 18th 2014, 4:04am

Again, Visual Recoil is part of the weapon's firing animation. That means it wasn't put in the game by mistake. An animator went in and put in the effort to draw everything.

What you have said here about the Sniper Rifle rechamber echoes what Pump Action shotguns do. However, I'm not entirely sure we can call the rechamber animation Visual Recoil.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

"Skill" may indeed be the most magical of words. Chant it well enough and any desire can be yours.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, April 18th 2014, 4:12am

Well some rifles have the EXACT same firing animation. Most of them do actually. But guns like the Gol Magnum and M40A5 are different I think.

For example. The Gol has an insane firing rate, high damage model, good velocity. Insane visual recoil so you cant straight pull people to death. (In my opinion)

M40A5 has 11 rounds, insane firing rate, lower damage model when it comes to range, LOW VELOCITY. So to balance, in my opinion... Low visual recoil/animation.

I know its all just speculation, but the Visual recoil thread had a lot of good theories and ideas. Im starting to believe they gave easier animations to guns with lower DPS/Range Etc For Balance

(EDIT) I mean why would they make the Scout Elite and The SRR 61 have the same Firing Animation/Visual Recoil, Yet The M40a5 gets its own animation? They all come with 8x scopes originally. Yet, the only gun with the ODDBALL Stat is the M40a5, with its Low bullet velocity.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "RichieSnow" (Apr 18th 2014, 4:17am)

Date of registration
: Jan 27th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Friday, April 18th 2014, 4:23am

Im starting to believe they gave easier animations to guns with lower DPS/Range Etc For Balance
Actually the QBZ-95, Type-95 and SAR-21 have some of the worst visual recoil in the game...

Also I don't think visual recoil matters at all for bolt action rifles so you're kind of missing the point here

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, April 18th 2014, 4:28am

Im starting to believe they gave easier animations to guns with lower DPS/Range Etc For Balance
Actually the QBZ-95, Type-95 and SAR-21 have some of the worst visual recoil in the game...

Also I don't think visual recoil matters at all for bolt action rifles so you're kind of missing the point here

I said that backwards. I meant the EASIER guns, MORE Visual Recoil for balance. It only makes sense. Especially when you consider console players and Next Gen.

I Mean why would the Scout Elite and the SRR 61 have the SAME Firing animation. But Two guns that are kind of "Oddballs" when it comes to Stats have a SEPERATE Animation?

(EDIT) 338 Recon Has EXACT Same firing animation as Scout Elite and SRR61, but Gol Magnum And M40a5 Get their own. Ok, makes so much sense.

I mean go shoot the M40a5 With The Straight Pull And ACOG Scope at MAX RPM. The Scope Barely Moves, And the Laser Moves DIFFERENTLY than any other gun. All other snipers the laser moves Exactly the same. But when you think about it, the M40a5 has the LOWEST BULLEST Velocity. The ONLY Sniper in the 400 range. Therefor EASY Visual Recoil.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "RichieSnow" (Apr 18th 2014, 4:43am)

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(10,156)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, April 18th 2014, 5:20am

I said that backwards. I meant the EASIER guns, MORE Visual Recoil for balance. It only makes sense. Especially when you consider console players and Next Gen.

If that were true, then why did the L96 in BF3 get a different (and possibly the worst) animation compared to the M40A5 which had only a slight jiggle?

No, these animations are likely to be arbitrary.

I also fail to see how it acts as a balancing mechanic if the rifle can only fire after the animation has pretty much ended.
Data Browser

"Skill" may indeed be the most magical of words. Chant it well enough and any desire can be yours.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "NoctyrneSAGA" (Apr 18th 2014, 5:26am)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, April 18th 2014, 6:20am

I mean, when I think about it... If the GOL Magnum had the same Firing animation as the m40a5 that would be kind of scary with the straight pull. That's how I look at it. Obviously im wrong.

I never played Bf3, so I wouldn't know anything about that. Im just saying, a majority of the rifles have the same animation. So it made me wonder.

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(10,156)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, April 18th 2014, 6:38am

a majority of the rifles have the same animation

Reusing the same animation doesn't mean anything aside from the fact that they recycled them.

For Sniper RIfles it's nothing special.

Similar weapon platforms do the same thing as well IIRC.
Data Browser

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Date of registration
: Jan 27th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Friday, April 18th 2014, 11:01am

I Mean why would the Scout Elite and the SRR 61 have the SAME Firing animation. But Two guns that are kind of "Oddballs" when it comes to Stats have a SEPERATE Animation?

(EDIT) 338 Recon Has EXACT Same firing animation as Scout Elite and SRR61, but Gol Magnum And M40a5 Get their own. Ok, makes so much sense.

I mean go shoot the M40a5 With The Straight Pull And ACOG Scope at MAX RPM. The Scope Barely Moves, And the Laser Moves DIFFERENTLY than any other gun. All other snipers the laser moves Exactly the same. But when you think about it, the M40a5 has the LOWEST BULLEST Velocity. The ONLY Sniper in the 400 range. Therefor EASY Visual Recoil.
I don't agree with the "easier" thing, sure the SAR21 might be easy to use but it also gets dunked on in fights because it only shoots at 600 rpm so that's balanced in itself.