Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

mmacola

Console Testing Bro

(137)

Date of registration
: Nov 23rd 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 11:46pm

it doesn't help that people exploit the fuck out of this by choosing servers with ridiculous pings. i still don't know why servers don't kick people whose ping is over 100~120ms*, as that seems to be the threshold where the problems really start in my experience. it pretty much ruins half the games i'm in, and there aren't really enough servers running certain modes to avoid it. PC version needs ping kicks or region locks pretty badly at this point.

*ironically enough, i actually got kicked for a temporary ping over 300-something once when my girlfriend started downloading something in the middle of a game. this has happened all of once, and people on the same server constantly have had consistent pings over 200. so, yeah...

I guarantee they are having a terrible experience as well. If you get stomped by people with high ping, they would be even better on low ping.

Date of registration
: Nov 12th 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Thursday, April 3rd 2014, 12:00am

and yet i do much, much better if everyone's got a ping under 100? that makes no sense. if my understanding of lag compensation is correct, the interpolation has to give a person with a higher ping a larger window of "reasonable doubt" when determining if hits occur such that the hits that their client reports are going to be counted more often than those by someone with a lower ping, simply because the updates on player positions aren't going to be as fresh for them. isn't this basically the root of the entire problem of high pings giving advantage?

perhaps my understanding of the issue is wrong and there's something regarding packet loss or other factors that accounts for the issue; i sure do see the packet loss icon a lot sometimes. nonetheless, there seems to be a correlation between playing against someone with a 220ms ping and the name "K-ON_SAMANOSUKE_LUV_NINGYO" with a strange inability for me to hit them (sometimes even when they're completely stationary) that isn't present when shooting at "TedBundy_69" with a 40 or 60ms ping if my ping is around 50ms or so.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "shinryu" (Apr 3rd 2014, 12:26am)

Date of registration
: Nov 8th 2013

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Thursday, April 3rd 2014, 4:28am

it doesn't help that people exploit the fuck out of this by choosing servers with ridiculous pings. i still don't know why servers don't kick people whose ping is over 100~120ms*, as that seems to be the threshold where the problems really start in my experience. it pretty much ruins half the games i'm in, and there aren't really enough servers running certain modes to avoid it. PC version needs ping kicks or region locks pretty badly at this point.

*ironically enough, i actually got kicked for a temporary ping over 300-something once when my girlfriend started downloading something in the middle of a game. this has happened all of once, and people on the same server constantly have had consistent pings over 200. so, yeah...

I guarantee they are having a terrible experience as well. If you get stomped by people with high ping, they would be even better on low ping.

The experience varies depending on where you end up latency-wise after lag compensation does it's deed on you. It's usually most erratic when high ping players are in the server, so this is when I usually notice seesaw-like-production from players (God Mode one round, and the total opposite the next round).

At least on PC you guys can see other players pings to the server. On Xbox One we can't see their ping, and can't see their country on their profile anymore (you could on 360). If they don't have an emblem or clan tag that gives away their country, you're left in the dark on figuring out who the culprit is in your server. If they add rental servers again this will make it difficult for admins to figure out who to kick if they plan on not allowing high ping players.

Maveco

You can't stop the Smooze!

(610)

Date of registration
: Mar 16th 2013

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Thursday, April 3rd 2014, 4:46am

Nobody mentioning the fact that information travels at a finite speed as well as compilation times not being 0.0?

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,997)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Thursday, April 3rd 2014, 5:14am

@Maveco

Because people evidently don't like how latency compensation is trying to take care of that. The whole point of this thread was asking why it happens and how it can be improved.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Maveco

You can't stop the Smooze!

(610)

Date of registration
: Mar 16th 2013

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Thursday, April 3rd 2014, 5:18am

One must also take into consideration "lag compensation" not being a feature but rather a consequence of client-sided data-handling.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Maveco" (Apr 3rd 2014, 5:26am) with the following reason: changing some words to keep the speculative tone

R

tits pls

(2,621)

Date of registration
: Sep 16th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Thursday, April 3rd 2014, 7:25am

Like many have said before; you get killed around corners because on your killer's screen, you weren't behind the corner.
Same thing hapens when you quickly go prone when taking fire, then die a couple milliseconds later. On his screen, you hadn't gone prone yet, and he just killed you normally.
The thing that I think is funny is when people bitch around being killed around corners all the time, but they don't realize that they are also killing enemies around corners.

Witchalok

Grounded in reality

(301)

Date of registration
: Mar 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Thursday, April 3rd 2014, 8:39am

@R

Exactly. All of those time that people call me a hacker, or I just go on a ridiculous kill streak. The game feels very responsive to me, but I wonder what is happening in people's screens.
Perhaps from their POV it really appears like I am hacking.

On the other hand thre are plenty of times where there is one guy on the server who I just can't kill, because as soon as he pops around a corner in my screen I am dead. And I know he's not that good because he'd barely keep a K/D >1 but goes something like 6-0 against me.
I am tempted to call "haxxor" as well, but I know better than that.

L.E.: what I don't understand, is why can't they have better "netcode" in TDM matches?
The map is smaller, there are no vehicles, and usually there are fewer people.

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,997)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Thursday, April 3rd 2014, 8:49am

L.E.: what I don't understand, is why can't they have better "netcode" in TDM matches?

From what I understand, Battlefield 4 servers run on Virtual Machines. One machine could be several servers instead of one machine is one server. Don't quote me on this, but since TDM would logically use less resources, it SHOULD run better. However, since it's on a Virtual Machine, that probably means that whatever computing resources aren't used for your TDM match is probably being used for someone else's CQ Large match which is taking place on the same machine.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

ToTheSun!

Be Creative.

(5,050)

Date of registration
: Mar 9th 2012

Thursday, April 3rd 2014, 9:09am

That's because "netcode" is, hardly, dependent on a few extra kilobytes (if that much). There can be several culprits, but i find it hard to believe that the cases may be either TDM using the same packet format or the CPU(s) handling TDM resources less diligently.

Then again, hitreg is fine for me in pubs while being shit in most private servers wherein ESL (and most "competitive") matches are played.