Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Ghost" has been banned
  • "Ghost" started this thread

Date of registration
: Nov 27th 2013

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Thursday, February 6th 2014, 6:27am

Defensive Armor: The Chicken Pox of BF4

All right, I think we can all agree that the Defensive Field Upgrade's first level, Armor, pretty much ruins the game's weapon balance. It's way too prevalent and causes way too many problems for what it's worth. I was going to make a list of all the problems it causes, but I can't remember all of them. Haven't played BF4 in a while. I'm sure the rest of you have some ideas, though. All I can think of is how it breaks shotgun balance by making Slugs and Buckshot too ineffective.

But the better question is, what to do with it?

While removing it from the game straightaway would be a bit too radical and drastic, it seems like the best solution. But since that's not likely to happen, the best compromise would be to bump armor up to Level 3 or 4 in the Field Upgrade, as it's too powerful for a Level 1 upgrade.

Thoughts?

Date of registration
: Mar 30th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Thursday, February 6th 2014, 6:29am

It definitely shouldn't affect so many weapons, it's too big of an advantage for a single perk.

• "Ghost" has been banned
  • "Ghost" started this thread

Date of registration
: Nov 27th 2013

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Thursday, February 6th 2014, 6:34am

It definitely shouldn't affect so many weapons, it's too big of an advantage for a single perk.

Yeah, when I first heard about it before the game's release, I thought it was meant to only affect bolt-action sniper rifles. Which I felt was a good idea, so that if someone's using a sniper-rifle like a DMR, you can counter that. But only that, and only in close range. That way, sniper rifles would have a tougher time in close range against it, and would be better used at longer ranges. Granted the armor only being effective in close range might not make sense in the realm of physics, it's best for balance.

But being a universal Juggernaut perk straight out of Call of Duty 4/5 is too much, especially when it screws over shotguns, the one weapon class that's only good in close range.

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,975)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Thursday, February 6th 2014, 6:35am

Change it back to how it was originally shipped as: "Countering CQB Snipers by changing the chest shot multiplier for them." Either give the Sniper Rifles 80 damage with a 1.25x multiplier like in BF3 with Body Armor changing it to 1.0, or make it so that it only affects the 7.62 Bolt Action rounds. I don't think it'd be that hard for the Body Armor to check for the round type before determining whether or not to use its .93x multiplier.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Date of registration
: Jun 21st 2012

Reputation modifier: 8

Thursday, February 6th 2014, 6:39am

Change it back to how it was originally shipped as: "Countering CQB Snipers by changing the chest shot multiplier for them." Either give the Sniper Rifles 80 damage with a 1.25x multiplier like in BF3 with Body Armor changing it to 1.0, or make it so that it only affects the 7.62 Bolt Action rounds. I don't think it'd be that hard for the Body Armor to check for the round type before determining whether or not to use its .93x multiplier.
Genious! Definetly +1 to this!
Sorry for my bad english - it's not my native language and I have difficulties with acquiring speaking/writing practice in my country. If I accidently insult you or say something wrong - I'm sorry, you can feel free to correct me.

Date of registration
: Nov 22nd 2013

Battlelog:

Thursday, February 6th 2014, 7:16am

One good thing to do would be switching over the places of Faster Health Regen and Body Armor in the Defensive field upgrade. I don't think faster regen is much of a problem, so it is fine in the first slot. Body Armor however, for how stupid it is, should be nothing less than last in the perk tree - a reward for good teamwork.

Love knows no language. Suppression knows no range.
Top 2% in the world for Suppression Assists :D

Cloon

altered his username

(728)

Date of registration
: Feb 22nd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Thursday, February 6th 2014, 8:48am

Just aim for the dick, problem solved.
I am part of that power which would the evil ever do and ever does the good.

Are you a Symthican and a PC BF3 player?

A catfish has appeared!

Help represent Symthic on the battlefield.
Join Team Symthic!

"If it revolves around DICE physics...i will find a way to abuse it in some ridiculous manor, that you can count on" - elementofprgress

Labby

(6,445)

Date of registration
: Sep 26th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Thursday, February 6th 2014, 8:58am

Disagree.

The first perks of the tree are the defining perks, the reason you would chose it in the first place. The primary purpose of the mechanic tree is repairing vehicles, so faster repairs comes first. Combat medic gives you more medkits, shadow gives you quick un-spot, etc. Defensive is focused around surviving higher amounts of damage, so it only makes sense that armor comes first.

Anyway, the .93 multiplier of armor isn't a big deal, the legs and stomach which make up around half the player model have that multiplier anyway, even without armor equipped.

For most of the automatic weapons it makes little difference. The result is that at certain ranges it will take one more hit to kill, often it will have no effect at all on bullets to kill with these weapons.

It prevents sniper rifles from getting one hit kills to the chest at close range, which is something most of you seem perfectly fine with.

It prevents shotgun slugs from killing in one shot to the chest at close range... Why is this a problem? If you want reliable one hit kills within 15m, use flechette or buckshot*, slug gives a big boost to effective range, its weakness is up close. In BF3 slugs rendered other shotgun shells obsolete. They killed reliably at close range and remained effective over a long distance.

The only real "problem" with armor is its effectiveness against buckshot, and that's only because it has a 0.67x multiplier against it, which is way out of line with its performance against other weapons. If it was 0.93x like it is for everything else, the difference would hardly be noticeable.
[Aetherblade Medium Boots]

JOIN THE TEAMSPEAK (L)EVOLUTION: teamsym.nitrado.net

Date of registration
: Mar 26th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Thursday, February 6th 2014, 9:36am

I agree in principle, but DICE has started to adequately balance the game around it. It's a bit backward (instead of just yanking something awful out they're adapting the rest of the game to it), but it's not necessarily cancerous if they do it properly.
Sincerely, Kaiser Wilhelm II

Date of registration
: Feb 6th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 2

Thursday, February 6th 2014, 11:10am

The problem isn't Body Armor being the first perk in the tree. If they made it lv3 or 4, then it would only promote Snowballing, as the winning team will be more likely to never get squad wipes, and thus fortify their advantage when all 10 squads suddenly take 10% less damage, compared to the team that's already losing. This isn't DOTA 2 guys.

What they should do instead is either remove it, or make the other trees lv1 perks as enticing.