Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "MasterVentris" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jun 5th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Saturday, November 16th 2013, 3:31am

Tank Armour at an Angle

I think I read somewhere that in BF4 the location you hit a tank and the angle of inpact is much more important when it comes to immobilisation and damage done. I was wondering if anyon knows by how much?
I play a lot of World of Tanks, where angling your armour is very important, so I do it instincively in BF4 but I'm worried that because the shots will never just bounce off that showing my side at all is a bad idea.

Date of registration
: May 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Saturday, November 16th 2013, 6:20am

A hit from 90 degrees will do the most damage, and hits to the back of the tank from the RPG and SMAW, especially the RPG can do around double damage depending on angle and disable the tank. A hit to the back from a SMAW will usually do slightly less than 50 and the RPG will do more than 50 damage. Shots coming in from an angle will usually do less, down to 18-19 damage if hit from the front at an angle. The LAW cannot disable very often and auto homes in when it gets close enough, always doing 21 damage. Other rockets such as the javelin and SRAW do 25 damage usually.

C0llis

Up and down. Bounce all around

(3,334)

Date of registration
: Apr 15th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Saturday, November 16th 2013, 2:30pm

Angles are very important, presenting the worst angles possible towards your enemy is the best way to win tank battles (provided you also also use cover and can hit the enemy tank reliably (which I assume you can)). What you want to show your enemy is one of the front corners of your tank (~45 degree angle): an angled shot to your side is generally better than a straight shot to the front. Mobility hits on tanks generally require ~90 degree shots to the sides or ~45 degree shots to the rear. Mobility kills are ~90 degree shots to the rear.

IFVs take the same damage to all sides, so as long as you show them a corner at ~45 degrees you are pretty good to go.

Not all weapons are affected by angles, as a rule of thumb all guided munitions are unaffected by angles (MBT LAW, Javelin, Guided Shell etc.), everything else is affected by angles.

Things people said

And reading Youtube comments still gives me Turbo Cancer.

It really is quite frustrating when Helen Keller sets up her LMG in the only doorway in/out of an area.

What kind of question is that? Since when is cheese ever a bad idea?

Hardline is a fun and sometimes silly Cops and Robbers sorta thing and I think that's great. Or it would be if it didn't suck.

• "MasterVentris" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jun 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Saturday, November 16th 2013, 4:45pm

Yeah it was mostly tank on tank engagements that i was most interested in, as infantry are slippery and hard to control. Im presuming the turret has the same armour as the hull, and the only advantage of going hull down is them not getting mobility hits on tracks?

Also, I haven't been playing very long and still only have the basic tank shell. Would you recommend the HE or SABOT rounds?

Date of registration
: Apr 28th 2012

Battlelog:

Saturday, November 16th 2013, 5:25pm

A shot from above can hurt as much as a straight hit in the ass so it's important not to expose your topside. HE shells take one less hit to destroy an enemy tank but are harder to use because of their lower speed and more curved trajectory. Side scraping WoT style is not possible as even 179 degree shots to the side do as much damage as a shot to the front.

I recommend going to the Test Range and shooting the enemy tank there to test different ammo types and hit angles!

C0llis

Up and down. Bounce all around

(3,334)

Date of registration
: Apr 15th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Saturday, November 16th 2013, 8:49pm

Yeah it was mostly tank on tank engagements that i was most interested in, as infantry are slippery and hard to control. Im presuming the turret has the same armour as the hull, and the only advantage of going hull down is them not getting mobility hits on tracks?

Also, I haven't been playing very long and still only have the basic tank shell. Would you recommend the HE or SABOT rounds?
I'm not sure what kind of zone the turret counts as, but I believe it is counts as side armor (maybe front armor at the front of the turret), I will summon Darktan too find out for sure. Top hits are pretty elusive, the hits have to come pretty much straight from above so I wouldn't worry about other tanks scoring top hits on you unless you were coming down a very steep hill. It doesn't matter where the enemy tank tank hits you; what matters is how much damage he does (IIRC mobility hits are 30 damage while mobility kills are 40 damage (reactive armor raises these thresholds)).

So far I have been using the HE simply because the amount of damage it does. I haven't unlocked the SABOT yet, but when I do I will try it out and see if it's worth sacrificing the high damage of the HE shell for the increased velocity of the SABOT.

@Darktan13
Do you know what zone the tank turret counts as, and what the mobility hit/disable thresholds are with and without reactive armor?

Things people said

And reading Youtube comments still gives me Turbo Cancer.

It really is quite frustrating when Helen Keller sets up her LMG in the only doorway in/out of an area.

What kind of question is that? Since when is cheese ever a bad idea?

Hardline is a fun and sometimes silly Cops and Robbers sorta thing and I think that's great. Or it would be if it didn't suck.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "C0llis" (Nov 17th 2013, 12:43am)

DeathOfTheDodo

Veni, SMAW, Vici

(863)

Date of registration
: Jun 30th 2013

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Saturday, November 16th 2013, 11:35pm

Do tank shells benefit from multipliers? In the beta I used to be able to 2-shot tanks by arcing the shell so it hit the top hitbox.
[SYM]Deathofthedodo
BE ADVISED BE ADVISED BE ADVISED BE ADVISED BE ADVISED BE ADVISED BE ADVISED

"AK Attachment Guide"

No.

Date of registration
: Jan 27th 2013

Battlelog:

Sunday, November 17th 2013, 6:21am

So in a tank vs tank battle is it best to try and make him hit your corner?

Date of registration
: Apr 28th 2012

Battlelog:

Sunday, November 17th 2013, 9:28am

Do tank shells benefit from multipliers? In the beta I used to be able to 2-shot tanks by arcing the shell so it hit the top hitbox.
Yes. More damage to the side and even more to the rear and top. Hitting the top with arcing shots is possible but definitely not easy. HE shells arc the most, try them.

Date of registration
: Jul 26th 2012

Battlelog:

Tuesday, November 19th 2013, 11:20am

What you should try and do is angle your side and front to the enemy tank (though this leaves you a bit more unraisable to infantry AT weapons)

Hitting the side at an angle is close to hitting the front head on and hitting the front at an angle does even less damage,the problem comes with experienced tankers.Usually everyone runs the HE shell in the city and streets because the drop isn't a disadvantage.The HE shell has another advantage in it allows you to kill tanks in 2 hits if you fire just above the enemy tanks turret (the drop on the shell makes it land on top thus doing the same damage as a direct hit to the ass of a tank)

Must have more Daka