Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "SeesInPixels" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jan 17th 2016

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Tuesday, April 5th 2016, 8:49pm

Massive screen tearing, only in BF4.

So a few days back I decided to log back into BF4 after a long while of just playing ARK.

I was dreadfully greeted by a ridiculous amount of screen tearing, all the time. This ONLY happens in BF4. My rig is beefy; i7-4790k, 16GB DDR3, Z87-plus, GTX 980. My monitor is a Dell 1200p 60hz, connected with HDMI.

I have tried v-sync, doesn't help at all.
I have also tried maxvariablefps set to 59.94, that doesn't help either.

I am at a loss, and BF4 is completely unplayable in this state. :( ?(

Does anyone have any idea as to why this is happening or how it can be fixed? This is driving me crazy and I have no idea why it would just start happening out of the blue when it was working just fine before.

Thanks for your input, and have a stellar day :)

ViperFTW

Suidae cathexis

(2,737)

Date of registration
: Jul 1st 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Tuesday, April 5th 2016, 8:52pm

.....Pfff...Absolute shot in the dark here, have you tried lowering your screen resolution?

Everybody's Favourite Worthless Support and LMG Fan! :thumbsup:

Song currently stuck in my head is: Somewhere Beyond Seas by Varathron!

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, April 5th 2016, 8:56pm

I haven't tried that but I will give it a try.

Gaming below 1080p isn't an option for me, I already had to go back to 1080 from 4k when my 4k monitor took a shit.

ViperFTW

Suidae cathexis

(2,737)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, April 5th 2016, 8:59pm

Do your monitors do that often?
Could be a problem with the monitor/environment as opposed to the game?

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, April 5th 2016, 9:22pm

I use the same monitor for everything, no screen tearing shows up on anything other than Battlefield.
I too thought the monitor may have been the issue, until I ran some screen tearing tests.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, April 10th 2016, 4:50am

bump, still experiencing screen tearing

ViperFTW

Suidae cathexis

(2,737)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, April 10th 2016, 12:40pm

Still no joy?
Hmm...Ok, here's one more push from a freshly-caffeinated-and-in-a-really-good-mood-Viper :)

Bare in mind, I'm not actually that bright when it comes to computers (or generally in fact)...So...Yeah...

Things we know:
  • Doesn't affect any other games = Can't really be a wider hardware/software failure.
  • Affects multiple monitors = Makes it more likely to be an issue with the game, or the way the game interacts with your new setup.
  • Recent problem/something you didn't have before your hiatus = Something changed since the last time.

See where I'm going with this?

Let's think of some possible solutions, starting at the centre of the issue and working outward:
  • A problem with Battlefield = Try to run it in compatibility mode. Failing that: repair game files in Origin. Failing that: re-install.
  • A compatibility issue = Update (or maybe downgrade) graphics drivers. Failing that: check teh internetz for any possible known issues with your build and the game. Failing that (optional, depends on how much you really wanna play BF4): Think about things that have changed since the last time you played the game, if you installed new components then try temporarily reconnecting the old ones and benchmarking, if you updated the OS then look for any known issues or fixes with the new OS, and so on.

And that's literally all I've got I'm afraid...
If problems still persist then maybe try (*deep breath*) Battlelog forums, or perhaps a much more specific tech support site?

On the bright side: The devs have now said they're ceasing work on BF4 to begin working on BF5, so the game's nearing the end of it's lifecycle and might start experiencing the movements that other games have at the end of their lives: Removal of servers, decline in playerbase, etc. So you might end up doing a lot of work for not much payoff...In other words: In this case you might wanna just bury the hatchet with BF4 and go play something else.

I've heard Fallout 4 is very good :thumbsup:

Date of registration
: Apr 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Sunday, April 10th 2016, 1:21pm

Stupid user.cfg?
[Aristocrat's Shoes]
TLDR -
Teamwork is where players function by themselves, but their effectiveness is multiplied when they work together. Not a checklist of "did we bring a healer so we can start playing?"

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,088)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 16

Sunday, April 10th 2016, 3:08pm

Hard to imagine what you mean by "unplayable" while still having good framerates. Would it be possible to capture just few second footage of this issue? Just tops 10s should be enough if it shows the problem.

And yeah, updating drivers and/or checking if other Nvidia users have problems with your current drivers could give a clue.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, April 10th 2016, 6:35pm

Thanks for the replies Viper, Rezal and Miffyli.

Viper,
I have repaired the game files, didn't work. I guess my last resort is to try a reinstall.
I'll check my graphics drivers and whatnot.
I don't want to stop playing BF4 :( haha

Rezal, this has been happening since before I was using a user.cfg. I used the user.cfg in an attempt to fix the issue we are talking about.

And Miffyli, I'm calling this unplayable because I am what some would call a 'graphics-whore' and it simply pisses me off when I am in game and my screen is tearing like a fat mans shorts. Takes the immersion away and looks like poo.
I will see if I can start up OBS and record some test range footage or something.