Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Rom" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jun 5th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Thursday, May 28th 2015, 8:54am

Packet Loss - Symbol anyway

For the past few weeks, ive been getting the packet loss symbol. In pretty much every round, on every server.
Its not constant, but i notice it multiple times per round.

I spend a fair while trying to debug my connection. Doing ping -t, changing the time it would run etc.
Also tried a web based client, whos name escapes me. That ran for hours with no issues.

A few people have told me they get the same symbol.
So is this some kind of bug ?

Is there a definitive test i can do to rule out my connection ?

Im on Virgin 150mb in the UK if that matters. I know with Sky you could ask for a 'Gamer' profile to be applied to your account. That would reduce latency at the expense to checking data arrives properly, or something like that.

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,883)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Platform: PC

Reputation modifier: 17

Thursday, May 28th 2015, 10:25am

Are you sure the server is always a different hoster etc? I can't recall which ones but some hosters keep giving me that symbol all the time as well.

Open up network diagnostic window (I believe you can do it from advanced settings now, but also console command "networkoverlay.drawgraph 1" or something similar. If the "packet loss" line jumps to one from zero every now and then it is not a big problem unless you can "feel" the lag effect.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • InterimAegis - Weapon comparisons/scoring.
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • pmax - Statistical analysis of BF4 players/games.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included