Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Jack-Crysallis" started this thread

Date of registration
: Aug 31st 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Monday, October 6th 2014, 1:19am

Ideas to fix rooftop camping

After a long time thinking what should be done to fix rooftop camping, i came across an idea that may work very well.
What if DICE makes that all the inaccessible rooftop buildings (those which are only accessible by parachuting) have that 10 second timer before you die just like when you are out of the map?
I think that this ideia would fix the entire rooftop camping issue and would not hurt anything else in the game.
Toughts?

Either war is obsolete or men are.
- R. Buckminster Fuller

---BF3---

----BF4----

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Monday, October 6th 2014, 1:35am

No. Part of what's awesome about Battlefield is that everywhere within the map border is considered in-bounds. That said, it could be made harder to do with much less payoff by removing the parachute. Parachutes completely break the flow of maps and the whole risk vs reward concept for good, high up locations. Only Pilots (meaning people with the special character model) should get them, and only single use right after bailing. This would not only reduce to almost none the amount of people on inaccessible roofs, but it would also make using an accessible location carry the risk it should have; if there's only one way up, there's only one way down.

People don't want it removed because of the nostalgia that we've always had it, and because they themselves use it, but really it's one of the worst gameplay mechanics we have.
Who Enjoys, Wins

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(10,156)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Monday, October 6th 2014, 1:40am

No. Part of what's awesome about Battlefield is that everywhere within the map border is considered in-bounds. That said, it could be made harder to do with much less payoff by removing the parachute. Parachutes completely break the flow of maps and the whole risk vs reward concept for good, high up locations. Only Pilots (meaning people with the special character model) should get them, and only single use right after bailing. This would not only reduce to almost none the amount of people on inaccessible roofs, but it would also make using an accessible location carry the risk it should have; if there's only one way up, there's only one way down.

People don't want it removed because of the nostalgia that we've always had it, and because they themselves use it, but really it's one of the worst gameplay mechanics we have.

HELL NO! This has been suggested before.

Making parachutes pilot only is stupid because it means aircraft will be wasted constantly.

Why punish the entire player population for the selfishness of just a few? Roofcampers have very little, if any, impact on maps with aircraft. Support has a variety of tools to deny roofcamping as well namely UCAV, M224 MORTAR, and XM25 AIRBURST.

It's been discussed before and the answer is still the same. Roofcampers will always find a way to climb up. Doesn't mean they become any more or less of a threat.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

"Skill" may indeed be the most magical of words. Chant it well enough and any desire can be yours.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "NoctyrneSAGA" (Oct 6th 2014, 1:46am)

C0llis

Up and down. Bounce all around

(3,334)

Date of registration
: Apr 15th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Monday, October 6th 2014, 1:41am

Or they could fix the mortar so that it can target rooftops again. Ideally this would mean a reversion to the BF3 mortar so that it could be used on maps like SoS.

Things people said

And reading Youtube comments still gives me Turbo Cancer.

It really is quite frustrating when Helen Keller sets up her LMG in the only doorway in/out of an area.

What kind of question is that? Since when is cheese ever a bad idea?

Hardline is a fun and sometimes silly Cops and Robbers sorta thing and I think that's great. Or it would be if it didn't suck.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, October 6th 2014, 1:55am

No.

Making parachutes pilot only is stupid because it means aircraft will be wasted constantly.

Why punish the entire player population for the selfishness of just a few. Roofcampers have very little, if any, impact on maps with aircraft. Support has a variety of tools to deny roofcamping as well namely UCAV, M224 MORTAR, and XM25 AIRBURST.

It's been discussed before and the answer is still the same. Roofcampers will always find a way to climb up. Doesn't mean they become any more or less of a threat.

Its better to have an in-game mechanic that WILL deny rooftop camping than giving weapons that MAY fix it.
How many times a team sucessfully clears the rooftop with these tools? and how many times after they cleared it, they'r team or the enemy one gets back in the rooftop?
Floodzone and Shangai are absulote chaos when people start spawning there, and the team who has air superiority will always be on the roofs.
Rooftop camping is something that almost everybody hates, it just makes chaos and frustation for those who want to play in the objective areas of the map, making them a easier target for snipers, spooting, mortars, C4 (dont forget that a lot people keep in the rooftops trowing c4 in the ground) and creates an certain level of randomness that shouldnt be in the game.
The whole ideia behind making them out-of-bounds area is not to "delete" certain areas of the map, but instead to fix an problem that only makes some maps almost unplayble at some points.

- R. Buckminster Fuller

---BF3---

----BF4----

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(10,156)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, October 6th 2014, 2:04am

Its better to have an in-game mechanic that WILL deny rooftop camping than giving weapons that MAY fix it.
How many times a team sucessfully clears the rooftop with these tools? and how many times after they cleared it, they'r team or the enemy one gets back in the rooftop?
Floodzone and Shangai are absulote chaos when people start spawning there, and the team who has air superiority will always be on the roofs.
Rooftop camping is something that almost everybody hates, it just makes chaos and frustation for those who want to play in the objective areas of the map, making them a easier target for snipers, spooting, mortars, C4 (dont forget that a lot people keep in the rooftops trowing c4 in the ground) and creates an certain level of randomness that shouldnt be in the game.
The whole ideia behind making them out-of-bounds area is not to "delete" certain areas of the map, but instead to fix an problem that only makes some maps almost unplayble at some points.

For DT maps, IIRC they already have added boundaries that make it OOB. However, my comments were directed at legitimate rooftop camping zones such as those on Shanghai and Flood Zone. For Flood Zone, weeding them out is ridiculously easy. They have what, close to 15 square meters to run around on. Either they stay up there and be shredded by scout heli fire or they jump off and leave their equipment behind. Either way, they're already off the rooftop. For Siege of Shanghai, those rooftops are also normally inaccessible without abandoning aircraft and if that's what they want to do, they're only hurting their own team. A gun run from an Attack or Transport Helo should be enough to weed them out AND they have lost their taxi.

But now let's think about this another way: the people who are roofcamping aren't useless snipers but actual Recons using PLDs and SOFLAMs while operating with an Engineer equipped with a Javelin. Why the hell shouldn't they be allowed up on something that offers perfect line of sight to other areas of the map? I have no problem with roofcamping if it actually helps my team.

As for useless roofcampers, as I said before, no amount of restriction is going to prevent useless Recons from trying to create a nest. Devs can be as creative as they want, these guys will always find a way. I also don't see why people should be discouraged from trying to play the game they want. They want to be useless roofcampers, I say leave them be. They shouldn't expect to win the match though.
Data Browser

"Skill" may indeed be the most magical of words. Chant it well enough and any desire can be yours.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, October 6th 2014, 2:16am

Unless pilots could only bail if the aircraft was disabled (10 health) or touching the ground. My issue with parachutes is mainly for actual gameplay (like jumping out of third floors or to run away) as rooftop campers are fairly irrelevant either way.
Who Enjoys, Wins

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(10,156)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, October 6th 2014, 2:27am

Unless pilots could only bail if the aircraft was disabled (10 health) or touching the ground. My issue with parachutes is mainly for actual gameplay (like jumping out of third floors or to run away) as rooftop campers are fairly irrelevant either way.

The BF4 parachute provides greater flexibility. I think a lot of players enjoy it. Removing it is only going to start a shitstorm.
Data Browser

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, October 6th 2014, 2:36am

For DT maps, IIRC they already have added boundaries that make it OOB. However, my comments were directed at legitimate rooftop camping zones such as those on Shanghai and Flood Zone. For Flood Zone, weeding them out is ridiculously easy. They have what, close to 15 square meters to run around on. Either they stay up there and be shredded by scout heli fire or they jump off and leave their equipment behind. Either way, they're already off the rooftop. For Siege of Shanghai, those rooftops are also normally inaccessible without abandoning aircraft and if that's what they want to do, they're only hurting their own team. A gun run from an Attack or Transport Helo should be enough to weed them out AND they have lost their taxi.

But now let's think about this another way: the people who are roofcamping aren't useless snipers but actual Recons using PLDs and SOFLAMs while operating with an Engineer equipped with a Javelin. Why the hell shouldn't they be allowed up on something that offers perfect line of sight to other areas of the map? I have no problem with roofcamping if it actually helps my team.

As for useless roofcampers, as I said before, no amount of restriction is going to prevent useless Recons from trying to create a nest. Devs can be as creative as they want, these guys will always find a way. I also don't see why people should be discouraged from trying to play the game they want. They want to be useless roofcampers, I say leave them be. They shouldn't expect to win the match though.

The problem is not that they are useless or they are playing the way they want and may be hurting/helping their team.The problem is that they are exploiting some areas that shoulndt be accessible, which ends up hurting the match for any player in the ground A LOT.
Rooftop camping only makes the map design undesirable, hurts the entire flow of the map, because while players should be on the ground fighting themselves in the areas that are supposedly the ONLY acessible ones in the map, they are actually camping on rooftops that will never be entirely clear while we dont actually "ban" these areas.
Doesnt matter if you are hurting/helping your team, doesnt matter if you wasted a veihcle to get there or not, doesnt matter if you are going to lose the match or not,players that rooftop camp dont care if they are hurting/helping anyone, they are there to get an tottaly unfair advantage over any player on the ground.
Being able to overwatch almost the entire map from a single location which is only accesible by parachuting and inst acessible by ground is totally wrong, areas that should be accessible DOES have an mean of climbing them, while these roofs dont have ANY other way other than parachuting.
Rooftop camping creates chaos, frustation, randomness, gives palyers advantages over the ones on the ground, and doesnt add anything to the core gameplay, but instead makes it even worse.
This problem needs a fix.

- R. Buckminster Fuller

---BF3---

----BF4----

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, October 6th 2014, 2:40am

The BF4 parachute provides greater flexibility. I think a lot of players enjoy it. Removing it is only going to start a shitstorm.

...yeah. I can hope for the future though. :S
Who Enjoys, Wins