Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Misnomer

Don't Prox Me Bro

(497)

Date of registration
: Sep 4th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Wednesday, September 10th 2014, 10:21pm

Edit: The reasons behind T-UGS and similar being accepted is simply balance and gameplay reasons as Aenonar pointed out before. In case of the T-UGS you could even make a case that it might have a sensible microphone along with motion sensors that make a beep if anyone is nearby or even cast a signal on a HUD via a network connection. I guess anyone can see that. As with spotting it is just a visual equivalent of yelling "there between the two houses, running east" or in case of Karelia: "There, you see the tree? The only tree left on the field? Yeah 500m to the east there is a guy running in the wastelands!"

Both plausible explanations. But, both affect the game far more drastically.

You can say that you are mimicking voice spotting all you want with 3d spotting, but your buddy telling you someone is in a tree doesn't give you an aiming guide on that tree dweller's head. 3d Spotting does.

Implementation matters if you are making these extended realism arguments. It is clear from how it was implemented that it is not just a substitute for voice.

T-UGs microphone systems exist and so do motion detection. Heck UAV recon intelligence viewed by operative may be shared over networked headsets informing soliders exactly where infantry are moving from in many situations. Maybe that justified autospot on minimap from firing a gun. But with the tugs alone, the sounds of actual combat might render that more difficult though. As would smoke, flashbangs, incendiaries... The implementation in game tells you when they step behind a piece of cover, not a general direction they are coming from or might be.

People are getting mad at the hover tank for simply hovering, not how it changes the game.

By contrast, they are getting mad at the rail gun for being the hand of god smacking anything and everything, not the realism of how it fires.

One is aesthetic, the other is gameplay.

It is a very weird discussion.

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,282)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Wednesday, September 10th 2014, 10:30pm

All true. Fully agreed the discussion is very difficult. At least the realism discussion would have been eliminated if they made Final Stand a spin-off, a real prequel to 2142, or a reimagination of it. Then we would not have realism discussions, as it was clearly sci-fi. But now we have soldiers running around with weapon systems from the 1960s fighting against hovertanks and handheld railguns. The problem is, it carries over, from vanillar to DLC.
Otherwise we would have solely balance discussions, and it got really heated in this thread already.

Misnomer

Don't Prox Me Bro

(497)

Date of registration
: Sep 4th 2012

Battlelog:

Wednesday, September 10th 2014, 10:45pm

All true. Fully agreed the discussion is very difficult. At least the realism discussion would have been eliminated if they made Final Stand a spin-off, a real prequel to 2142, or a reimagination of it. Then we would not have realism discussions, as it was clearly sci-fi. But now we have soldiers running around with weapon systems from the 1960s fighting against hovertanks and handheld railguns. The problem is, it carries over, from vanillar to DLC.
Otherwise we would have solely balance discussions, and it got really heated in this thread already.

Yes, if only we could have the consistency of me firing a dart from an air pistol that would allow an RPG-7 to accelerate mid flight and track onto an MQ-8 Firescout which was machinegunning me earlier while I tried to plink it with my M1 Garand.

That would be BC2.

Date of registration
: Jun 24th 2012

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Wednesday, September 10th 2014, 10:53pm

The World Champion sees this as the equivalent of Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons of WWII. The Expansion Pack with Jet Packs and other Prototypes.

B-b-b-b-but dat's an expansion not a DLC.

Same thing.

B-b-bu

SAME. THING. *cold stare of DOOM*

If you don't like Near Future Sci-Fi Settings just come out and say it. Say Near Future Sci-Fi Settings aren't my cup of gravy. Then we'd be Fine and/or Dandy. bringing up all this realtastic and logicality about a videogame nonsense as a way to say you don't like it, just makes you look like a Silly Billy and The World Champion ain't got no time for Silly Billies. but he does have Elbows.
You have just read a Post by The World Champion and now feel smarter for doing so.
-------
Cham·pi·on
noun \ˈcham-pē-ən\

1 : Warrior, Fighter
2 : a militant advocate or defender <a champion of civil rights>
3 : one that does battle for another's rights or honor <God will raise me up a champion — Sir Walter Scott>
4 : a winner of first prize or first place in competition; also : one who shows marked superiority <The champion of the World>

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "The World Champion" (Sep 11th 2014, 4:17am)

Date of registration
: Mar 26th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Wednesday, September 10th 2014, 10:54pm

Yeah; motion sensor ball-thingies were also a BC2 thing and honestly, I don't mind that they added them to BF4. There's a bit of a thematic dissonance but really, if they end up making it fun I can live with it.
Sincerely, Kaiser Wilhelm II

Date of registration
: Dec 7th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Wednesday, September 10th 2014, 10:57pm

That is nonsense though, there is no prototype for a handheld railgun. You would need your own nucelar plant in your backpack to operate one. Same with the hovertank, a rocketthrusted tank? The energy needed to perform such tasks is too high to be anywhere near a prototype in the next decade.
Well, there are no prototypes for the T-UGS or pokeballs either, but somehow these are accepted just fine.
The T-UGS is real:
bob

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Battlelog:

Wednesday, September 10th 2014, 11:21pm

Yes, if only we could have the consistency of me firing a dart from an air pistol that would allow an RPG-7 to accelerate mid flight and track onto an MQ-8 Firescout which was machinegunning me earlier while I tried to plink it with my M1 Garand.

That would be BC2.

I lol'ed :D

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,796)

Date of registration
: Dec 16th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Wednesday, September 10th 2014, 11:58pm

That is nonsense though, there is no prototype for a handheld railgun. You would need your own nucelar plant in your backpack to operate one. Same with the hovertank, a rocketthrusted tank? The energy needed to perform such tasks is too high to be anywhere near a prototype in the next decade.
Well, there are no prototypes for the T-UGS or pokeballs either, but somehow these are accepted just fine.
The T-UGS is real:

*gigglesnort*

someone else already did the maths if you put 8 F35 jets underneath a tank, it has a carrying capacity of 30 tonnes. now think of those same jets, 10-20 years further, prototype version.

Possible? Of course.
Viable? No chance in hell. Constant refueling and creating a massive dust cloud around you all the time...

Quoted

(14:06:57) Riesig: I should stop now. People might get sig material again

Date of registration
: Aug 6th 2014

Battlelog:

Thursday, September 11th 2014, 12:05am

someone else already did the maths if you put 8 F35 jets underneath a tank, it has a carrying capacity of 30 tonnes. now think of those same jets, 10-20 years further, prototype version.

Possible? Of course.
Viable? No chance in hell. Constant refueling and creating a massive dust cloud around you all the time...
and then we have the extreme heat that comes out of it. and ofc enough airpressure flowing over the ground to knock everyone in a 30 metre radius off his feet. but its possible

btw (@everyone), still no info on the bow?

CobaltRose

I'll be there... around every corner... in every empty room...

(1,219)

Date of registration
: Nov 8th 2013

Battlelog:

Thursday, September 11th 2014, 12:13am

creating a massive dust cloud around you all the time...
Wouldn't be that bad in a desert or an area with fresh, powdery snow. Get enough of a downdraft going and you could make an effective dust screen (or a steam screen if you're hovering above water: those things would get screaming hot). Throw on something like FLIR and have fun blasting people from a semi-concealed position.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Memorable Quotes

I once tried to burn a bridge, but due to the half-assed levolution implementation it kept standing up just fine.

Compared to the MTAR, the PDR has the TTK of your average pack of cigarettes.

The World Champion, on the Tactical Light:
"Oh don't mind me, I'm just out of ammo and I'll just POCKET SUN!!!!"

What can't be changed can be banned.

I'm completely serious. Well, seriously insane actually :P

If only more people left the wheel chair, adjustable hospital bed, and crutches behind and played HC. (aka Regen, Minimap, Killcam)

Natalia Poklonskaya:
Putin the cute in prosecute since 2014.

I can't look at my own avatar without having to pee. GG Me. GG.

I swear to god if you reply with a picture of the AEK I'll mail you a buttplug shaped like one.

The one time when "it's only three inches" is a good thing.

How do you guys control your FAMAS burst length since it fires its mag in just 1,5 seconds))
I consider each magazine a burst. :/

This is Symthic, we don't do "feels" around here ;)