Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,997)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Saturday, August 9th 2014, 5:01pm

Additionally, why the hate on CS players?

They want Battlefield to play like CS.

See: LevelCrap trashes BF4 map design.

See: J0hn-Stuart-Mill explain why LevelCrap was stupid.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Saturday, August 9th 2014, 8:27pm

To be fair, there is a lot to trash in BF4 map design ;)

Date of registration
: Jun 12th 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Saturday, August 9th 2014, 8:33pm

Yeah but he said that grand bazaar was one of the best maps in battlefield history, which is absolutely false. He also used a counter strike map (designed for what, 12 players?) as an example of a good map design for battlefield. There are plenty of aspects of bf4 map design worth criticizing. Them not all having 3 choke points like locker isn't one of them.
"Blood is the price of victory"
- Karl von Clausewitz

"Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."
- Erwin Rommel

PSN: Suodeth_

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, August 9th 2014, 8:42pm

Yeah but he said that grand bazaar was one of the best maps in battlefield history, which is absolutely false. He also used a counter strike map (designed for what, 12 players?) as an example of a good map design for battlefield. There are plenty of aspects of bf4 map design worth criticizing. Them not all having 3 choke points like locker isn't one of them.

I had a lot of fun zooming around in the IFV on Bazaar :P

It certainly does rate in my books as one of the best maps, but truth be told that's because over BF's relatively long history there have been a lot of rather uninspiring maps.

And for good or ill, the playerbase seems to love choke point action because it doesn't involve the slightly more sophisticated and coordinated behaviour of piling a squad into a fast mover and taking far flags.

I think that's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,997)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Saturday, August 9th 2014, 8:46pm

It certainly does rate in my books as one of the best maps, but truth be told that's because over BF's relatively long history there have been a lot of rather uninspiring maps.

And for good or ill, the playerbase seems to love choke point action because it doesn't involve the slightly more sophisticated and coordinated behaviour of piling a squad into a fast mover and taking far flags.

LevelCrap also said that verticality was OP.

Reddit poked fun at this by saying LevelCrap's dream map would be one where his team gets a vantage point while the other team gets nothing.

He further stated that open maps were bad. Here is J0hn's reply.

Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,796)

Date of registration
: Dec 16th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Saturday, August 9th 2014, 9:26pm

Additionally, why the hate on CS players

CS players = linear maps with lots of headglitch spots where there's only 1 or 2 possible ways to shoot or get shot and only headshots matter

Quoted

(14:06:57) Riesig: I should stop now. People might get sig material again

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Saturday, August 9th 2014, 9:34pm

The problem with the head flinching was that the hit player's third person character model and hitbox moved, but their first person view remained unchanged. They could continue looking and firing like nothing happened, but could not be seen or hit. First and third person models should always be as close as possible, this was a pretty significant issue and it's definitely good that it's fixed.
Who Enjoys, Wins

Date of registration
: Jun 12th 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Saturday, August 9th 2014, 11:52pm

Reddit poked fun at this by saying LevelCrap's dream map would be one where his team gets a vantage point while the other team gets nothing.

J0hn nailed it perfectly. Battlefields big open maps are what make battlefield what it is. Remember cod; world at war? That tiny ass map with the 2 tanks? Would you rather have that or harvest day?

There's plenty of opportunities for tactical gameplay on any of the most open bf maps. You just have to orchestrate it yourself by communicating and coordinating with your squad, instead of letting map boundaries do it for you.

And grand bazaar on 360 was horrible. It was a rectangle with a gap going down the middle. Without those side flags everyone always charged into the meat grinder alley. At least you could drive the IFV into there and clear out the other team if you got lucky. How great would that be on metro? Drive a IFV down those stairs by the locker room?
"Blood is the price of victory"
- Karl von Clausewitz

"Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."
- Erwin Rommel

PSN: Suodeth_

C0llis

Up and down. Bounce all around

(3,334)

Date of registration
: Apr 15th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Saturday, August 9th 2014, 11:54pm

RE: Head flinching. I'm glad they toned it down. It was hurting DMRs more than other weapon classes because it made those vital follow up shots more difficult than they already were, only because you went for a headshot instead of a torso shot. It was especially silly when engaging enemies in stationary emplacements as the time it took for their head to swing back often was enough for them to realize they were getting shot at and bail, something which moved their hitbox quite far, in a rather unpredictable manor and in a very short time frame, making follow up shots very difficult. My experience with DMRs pre the flinch-removal was that it was better to go for body shots than headshots since you could get more reliable follow up shots when the enemy model didn't act like it was doing the limbo dance.

Things people said

And reading Youtube comments still gives me Turbo Cancer.

It really is quite frustrating when Helen Keller sets up her LMG in the only doorway in/out of an area.

What kind of question is that? Since when is cheese ever a bad idea?

Hardline is a fun and sometimes silly Cops and Robbers sorta thing and I think that's great. Or it would be if it didn't suck.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, August 10th 2014, 2:46am

J0hn nailed it perfectly. Battlefields big open maps are what make battlefield what it is. Remember cod; world at war? That tiny ass map with the 2 tanks? Would you rather have that or harvest day?

There's plenty of opportunities for tactical gameplay on any of the most open bf maps. You just have to orchestrate it yourself by communicating and coordinating with your squad, instead of letting map boundaries do it for you.

And grand bazaar on 360 was horrible. It was a rectangle with a gap going down the middle. Without those side flags everyone always charged into the meat grinder alley. At least you could drive the IFV into there and clear out the other team if you got lucky. How great would that be on metro? Drive a IFV down those stairs by the locker room?
For the record, I don't agree with LevelCaps position at all.

However, there have been serious issues with verticality in pretty much all BF titles (pod spinning anyone?), not because verticality is bad in and of itself, but because it's been exploitable (2142 pod spinning, chopper drop offs on inaccessible roofs), or because it makes for annoying play on some maps (Sunken Dragon, Dawnbreaker). BF devs seem to not learn how to avoid the pitfalls inherent in making very vertical spaces without leaving the cool aspects of it.

Not saying it should go, just saying it's strange they haven't learned their lesson yet.

Bazaar was really designed with the full city block in mind, I actually never played the small Bazaar, can't imagine it was very fun. I never liked BF3 metro either for similar reasons.

I'd flat out stop playing BF series if it went to nothing but Metro/Locker type maps that's for sure.