Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Veritable" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 8th 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Friday, May 23rd 2014, 11:01pm

How and When to use Vehicle Smokescreen?

A side-discussion for a question I have after reading through this thread: Best IFV loadout(s) ?

So it is pretty much a given that the best IFV loadout is sabot (aka alphabet shell) / Zunis / Zoom / Reactive / SMOKESCREEN. I understand the concept that Smokescreen causes all incoming hits become pretty much minimum damage, while Reactive raises your critical hit threshold so you can still move away from danger despite taking minimum damage while in the Smokescreen. Smokescreen also removes spots to boot, but does not negate incoming locked-on weapons or even locks in general.

I was mainly an APS user but I want to make the transition. So my questions to the vehicle masters are: when do you pop the Smokescreen and what do you do after you pop it?

When:
  1. Do you pop smoke constantly every time it reloads?
  2. Or do you pop smoke constantly only when you are capturing objectives / moving through enemy territory?
  3. Or do you pop smoke only when you spot an incoming projectile or get locked on?

What:
  1. Do you stay still within the smokescreen after you pop it? Only move to rotate if using a tank?
  2. Or do you try to move within the smoke radius? What if it is not necessarily big enough for you to get to a better position?
  3. Or do you move behind the smokescreen somehow and put the smoke between you and the enemy, which I guess will also negate its protection?

Finally, am I wrong to think that the APS is still good for Fast Attack Crafts, because the primary threats for them are not RPGs / SMAWs / SRAWs / tank shells but instead are the lock-on weapons (especially jets)? And that the smoke-covered area is not nearly big enough for you to get behind cover, because cover in the ocean is pretty much non-existent?

Thanks in advance!

R

tits pls

(2,621)

Date of registration
: Sep 16th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Saturday, May 24th 2014, 12:08am

When:
Do you pop smoke constantly every time it reloads?
Or do you pop smoke constantly only when you are capturing objectives / moving through enemy territory?
Or do you pop smoke only when you spot an incoming projectile or get locked on?

What:
Do you stay still within the smokescreen after you pop it? Only move to rotate if using a tank?
Or do you try to move within the smoke radius? What if it is not necessarily big enough for you to get to a better position?
Or do you move behind the smokescreen somehow and put the smoke between you and the enemy, which I guess will also negate its protection?

Finally, am I wrong to think that the APS is still good for Fast Attack Crafts, because the primary threats for them are not RPGs / SMAWs / SRAWs / tank shells but instead are the lock-on weapons (especially jets)? And that the smoke-covered area is not nearly big enough for you to get behind cover, because cover in the ocean is pretty much non-existent?

When: You want a mixture of all of those.
If nothing is really happening, don't bother popping smoke. If nothing is happening BUT you are moving towards an objective, pop smoke so enemies won't know you are coming
If you are about to cap a flag/are on a flag, pop smoke
If you see a missile incoming, pop smoke and sit in the smoke

What: Stay in the smoke when popping IF you want to take min damage from incoming fire. If you are in a tank and you see people behind you, pop smoke, stay in the smoke and rotate your front towards the enemies.
Pop smoke and move out of the smoke if you want to be unspotted/make a quick getaway
Put the smoke between you and your enemy if you want to confuse them/make them miss, but you will not take min damage from a shot that hits after passing THROUGH smoke

Finally, YES! Attack boats are the only vehicle that really don't benefit much from smokescreen. Being disabled in a boat is pretty dangerous, and APS does a good job of blocking air attacks and javelins.

• "Veritable" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 8th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Saturday, May 24th 2014, 12:31am

Thanks R!

To clarify: Does that mean you USUALLY sit in the smoke cloud (and try to continuously maintain the cloud by popping smoke as soon as it reloads) when you receive incoming fire? And you sit in the cloud to try and kill the attacker? Instead of moving from that spot, like what your survival instinct is screaming at you to do? THAT is the habit that I'm really trying to change.

Also, I understand that Smokescreen removes your spot. But, your point about popping smoke while moving towards an objective kinda intrigues me. Won't you be moving out of the smoke cloud and into the enemy's view again? Or does the Smokescreen removes your spot and also makes you un-spottable for a few seconds, despite not being in the cloud anymore?

To further that last point, I guess Thermal Coating for Tanks (which I run, also based on discussions on this forum) also helps in that regard?

Thanks again!

R

tits pls

(2,621)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, May 24th 2014, 1:18am

@Veritable
I'm gonna go through this in order of how you posted.
If you are 100% sure that you can't just dodge the incoming fire, pop smoke and sit in the smoke to take minimum damage. If there are people nearby and they are actively shooting at you, stay in the smoke and try to kill them. You can always pop smoke as a purely a visual distraction, then try and completely dodge all the rockets or whatever is being fired at you. Of course, if things get out of hand, just get the fuck out. If you sense that things are about to get out of hand (you see 5 or 6 enemies on the minimap all looking at you), get the fuck out. If you know you can survive and fight the people off the flag or whatever you are near, stay in the smoke and fight them.

Smokescreen removes you from the minimap, and it also makes you unspottable AND you won't show up on the minimap if you or your gunner fires. You don't have to stay in the smoke for these effects to work. They last for 6 seconds, and start right when you pop the smoke.
The only thing the actual cloud of smoke does is make all projectiles do min damage. It also obviously acts as a visual block.

I would imagine Thermal Coating works good with smokescreen, but I really haven't used it at all.

Hope that clarified things

Date of registration
: Oct 8th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Saturday, May 24th 2014, 2:11am

You're better off using something like autoloader rather than thermal camo imo. Thermal camo for boats / tanks is almost as good as smokescreen for staying off the minimap with at least 50% reduction in spotted time.
theaha for president!!!

"RIP Flare Glitch. 10/1/13-11/25/13. The game will never be the same without you." - Labby

Date of registration
: Apr 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 17

Saturday, May 24th 2014, 2:26am

Thermal Camo comes in handy to prevent locks when tanking.
[Aristocrat's Shoes]
TLDR -
Teamwork is where players function by themselves, but their effectiveness is multiplied when they work together. Not a checklist of "did we bring a healer so we can start playing?"

Date of registration
: Mar 9th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Saturday, May 24th 2014, 4:16am

I use autoloader for vehicles.

R

tits pls

(2,621)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, May 24th 2014, 4:17am

I use autoloader for vehicles.

Autoloader for tanks, reactive for IFVs and MAA

Date of registration
: Nov 5th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Saturday, May 24th 2014, 5:20am

Thermal camo is probably the best for boats, some of your main threats are lock-ons (LGM and Jav). Plus being spotted means getting TV'd from across the map by other boats or becoming the next target for an attack jet strafe run.
This is where I'm coming from: Clicky

The McGoat

The McMoose Murderer

(563)

Date of registration
: Apr 26th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Saturday, May 24th 2014, 7:21am

Autoloader is generally a lot less useful that what people think it is. It is often much more beneficial to go for reactive/thermal camo (maybe maintenance) than to use autoloader.

@Veritable

As far as smokescreen goes, it is a very good countermeasure. It lacks effectiveness against lock-ons, (Jet AGM's especially) but it is probably the best countermeasure nonetheless. The main advantage of smokescreen is that it allows maximum mobility when compared to AP.

Now you might ask "But Mr. McGoat! You have to sit in the cloud in order for smokescreen to have its effect! How does that make it mobile?" To this I answer: Smokescreen reloads very quickly, allowing multiple uses in a short period of time, and creates a visual barrier between the enemy and your tank (including making your tank unspottable for six seconds!). While Active Protection on the other hand has an extremely long reload (30 seconds of reload & only lasts 5 seconds) and keeps the tank using it from reversing (due to the fact that it does not block damage while driving away from incoming hits). So while a tank using smokescreen will be able to pop smoke and reverse out of danger, only taking minimal damage; the tank using AP must stay put and then try to find cover completely unprotected.

Not to mention the fact that smokescreen works against all forms of incoming damage, while AP only works against some and provides a large flashing light to show the enemy where to shoot!