Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

J0hn-Stuart-Mill

GW2 N00B... also old.

(1,952)

• "J0hn-Stuart-Mill" started this thread

Date of registration
: Apr 10th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Thursday, May 8th 2014, 4:30am

Biggest BF4 News since Launch: "Community Test Platform"- Coming May 8th

DICE to Launch Community Test Platform for Battlefield 4 | The Escapist

The CTE is launching tomorrow, May 8th, and it will initially be available to BF4 PC Premium members only.

Once signed up, participants will download a second, separate game client....which will serve as a beta test platform of sorts.

"Among the first things we will work on is the 'Netcode,' which is what the player experiences with the game world including player-to-player interactions like damage registration. This involves tweaking to the 'tickrate' servers and networking in general."

So that's extremely interesting. The community is an enormously large "free" group of beta testers, and while such tests are not possible with Microsoft and Sony's current console software deployment scheme, there's no reason this shouldn't be happening on PC, and the benefits will be felt on all platforms soon enough.
My father used to say, We find our true friends on the Battlefield! - J0hn Snow

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Thursday, May 8th 2014, 4:37am

This was proposed a while back from all over the internet. If this is actually a thing, I'll most definitely be helping.
Emperor Nick of the Cult of Defibrillation
Sith Deity of Thread-Killing

I'm basically just a degenerate weeb who doesn't post much nowadays.

I'm secretly Old Man Symthic

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Words of Wisdom (not really)

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

You're fedorable :love:

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

I have the highest postcount. Nick doesn't count.

Quoted

23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm -
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Okay
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm stabbing everyone
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Bye guys
23:44 Nick: *flips table*
23:44 Legion: Bye, happy stabbing
23:44 *** Lt_Col_Jesus quit (Quit: off to murder the public at large).

Quoted

10:41 LB: You just...reanimated Steve Jobs.
10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

... fuck. Damn you hindsight!

Quoted

23:58 Failure117: CAUSE IM FREEE
23:58 Nick: AS A BIIIIRD NOW
23:58 Failure117: FREEE OF NICK'S WORM RAPE

Quoted

ViperFTW: HEY LOOK
ViperFTW: AN ALIEN LASER FISH THE SIZE OF THE SUN
ViperFTW: I WANT TO SWAT IT WITH MY COMICLY LARGE SWORD
ViperFTW: WITH
ViperFTW: THIS
ViperFTW: AS
ViperFTW: MY
ViperFTW: FUUUUCKING SOUNDTRACK :DDDD
(the album in question)

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(10,092)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Thursday, May 8th 2014, 4:42am

inb4 armchair gamedevs feel like the new servers run higher tick rates when they're not

I don't have high hopes for this unless the "test client" specifically states the current specs (tick/send rates, packet loss, server performance, etc.) that'd actually show changes for us. Otherwise, we will really end up with an army of testers under the placebo effect saying "DICE raised the tick rates guys. Hitreg is so much better because they raised the tick rates!"

Or worse yet, the bugs associated with visual glitches and not actual networking will persist despite the tweaks and people will start whipping out pitchforks. Although, it'd be a great opportunity to bring out what /u/sliced_lime has said for a long time about "netcode."

ABANDON SHIP!

"Tick rate and netcode are the same thing right?"
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

"Skill" may indeed be the most magical of words. Chant it well enough and any desire can be yours.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "NoctyrneSAGA" (May 8th 2014, 7:56am)

Labby

(6,444)

Date of registration
: Sep 26th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Thursday, May 8th 2014, 5:23am

BATTLEFIELD 4: BACK 2 BETA
[Aetherblade Medium Boots]

JOIN THE TEAMSPEAK (L)EVOLUTION: teamsym.nitrado.net

R

tits pls

(2,621)

Date of registration
: Sep 16th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Thursday, May 8th 2014, 5:29am

This is some super exciting news!

Date of registration
: Jul 20th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Thursday, May 8th 2014, 7:45am

And here I am, still stuck in China. Hopefully I'll be able to sign up at least.

Date of registration
: Jun 12th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Thursday, May 8th 2014, 8:16am

I don't have high hopes for this unless the "test client" specifically states the current specs

Much of that data can be captured using packet sniffing software (like Wireshark) and compared between live and test versions.

I agree most people won't understand the trade-offs required for higher send rates. There are also limits to what they can do, even if they manage to fix all the bugs related to responsiveness.
One major limit is that they chose to make the game for 4 consoles and PC. This likely is holding them back because they have to code to PS3 and XBOX360 minimum standards. That is why the older consoles have smaller player counts, but we still get the crappy "netcode" on PS4/XB1/PC.

That being said, community bug testing will likely be better than what they have now.
The fact that someone has an opinion, doesn't make their opinion a fact. Making just arguments first requires an acknowledgement of intellectual humility, while valid arguments require you to not commit fallacies of logic and rhetoric.

Date of registration
: Aug 27th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 8

Thursday, May 8th 2014, 8:29am

Des that mean that we get to test out new guns?
Or guns that dice is thinking about implementing?
Would be fun.
No BF4 for me till July, but it looks exciting.
Hackintosh user, european player, suppressor lover.
Latest creation

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(10,092)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Thursday, May 8th 2014, 8:39am

Much of that data can be captured using packet sniffing software (like Wireshark) and compared between live and test versions.

I agree most people won't understand the trade-offs required for higher send rates. There are also limits to what they can do, even if they manage to fix all the bugs related to responsiveness.
One major limit is that they chose to make the game for 4 consoles and PC. This likely is holding them back because they have to code to PS3 and XBOX360 minimum standards. That is why the older consoles have smaller player counts, but we still get the crappy "netcode" on PS4/XB1/PC.

That being said, community bug testing will likely be better than what they have now.

The captured data isn't going to tell us about the server specs is it? Pretty sure it's only going to show us transmissions. If there was a way to somehow unpack it or at least see an event log, then I'd be happier not from being able to see more of Frostbite, but so that people can clearly see what is the problem and what isn't.

Take for example players facing the wrong way. If on the server-side they can see that the server is properly tracking and sending player orientations, but that isn't reflected on-screen, how can they say that it's anything but a visual bug? That's the kinds of thing I'd like to see out of this.

Also, it's already been established that PS3 and X360 have held BF4 back significantly. The original Riot Shield concept was to also allow the use of a pistol at the same time but it had to be scrapped. Why? Because in total it took up a whopping 1MB of memory.

Community "bug testing" is probably going to bring in a whole bunch of Jack Shit™ and Bullshit™ for them to sift through with comments like "I worked for Google, I know what I'm talking about" or "A highschooler could make better netcode than you" (both comments made in a game I just got off of).

Des that mean that we get to test out new guns?
Or guns that dice is thinking about implementing?
Would be fun.
No BF4 for me till July, but it looks exciting.

It'll probably be in unranked servers using the weapons from Alpha or Beta. This stuff is meant for testing and debugging, not a VIP showroom for upcoming content.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

"Skill" may indeed be the most magical of words. Chant it well enough and any desire can be yours.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Date of registration
: Nov 5th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Thursday, May 8th 2014, 8:40am

And here I am, still stuck in China. Hopefully I'll be able to sign up at least.
Wth are you doin in China?

On topic: this sounds interesting but I'm a bit skeptical... so now I'm beta testing with other premium members in different servers that only players that are premium + signed up can join? Where are we gonna report feedback exactly, some closed forum on battlelog like the Alpha? It's interesting but it will only work under two conditions:

1. Very high and meaningful interaction between devs and testers on the forums. Also, very tight moderation on said forums
2. Frequent updates on the beta client
3. Some centralized way of keeping track of the actual things to test and bug reports

Oh well, guess we'll find out shortly

EDIT: typo
This is where I'm coming from: Clicky

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "HwanZike" (May 8th 2014, 9:00am)