Symthic Forum was shut down on January 11th, 2019. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2019-01-09 at 01:27. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "actor" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jun 6th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Thursday, December 12th 2013, 9:56am

Can I have some reliable long-range recommendations in BF4 (not a sniper; ACW-R withdrawal)

Need some help here because I'm coming from BF3 where I almost exclusively used the ACW-R, which had a damage and recoil model that was designed for longer-ranges.

Now it's BF4 and no weapon is comfortable because there's nothing close to the ACW-R in BF3, as far as I know. Anyone have recommendations here? I'm not a sniper, and I enjoy having the capacity to take out vehicles, so this forces me to constantly switch between carbines, LMG's and DMR's because I feel so useless in different ways when trying to use just one.

Date of registration
: Sep 3rd 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Thursday, December 12th 2013, 10:11am

You have a few options, but none of the guns have the BF3 ACR's quirky damage model, low recoil and high rate of fire. If you want pure long range firepower, a DMR is an option but sadly they are currently underpowered and pending balance changes so I wouldn't try purposely handicapping yourself by using one at the moment.

You said you liked having the ability to deal with vehicles, so I'm assuming you want to play engineer. PDW's are right out in this case, which leaves the carbines. There are a few carbines which work well for long range combat. The AK5C has low recoil and a really high muzzle velocity. Use it with a heavy barrel and angled grip for maximum precision and minimum recoil. The AKU-12 is also good, with an even lower horizontal recoil and with a burst mode at 750 RPM. On the downside, its muzzle velocity is nowhere near the heavy barreled-ACR in BF3 so you'll probably be missing a few long range shots.

Date of registration
: Jun 12th 2013

Battlelog:

Friday, December 13th 2013, 12:36am

I started to build a spreadsheet awhile ago that compares recoil ease-of use with different attachments in BF4 to select weapons in BF3. The goal was to find which weapons in BF4 handle similar to my favorites in BF3. It isn't complete, but I can list a few weapons that require similar effort to control in BF4 as the ACW-R with heavy barrel in BF3.

For 3 round bursting:
AKU-12 burst mode, with heavy barrel + angled grip
PKP no attachments
AK-12 burst mode, no attachments
AUG A3 with heavy barrel + angled grip

For 2 round bursting:
AUG A3 with heavy barrel + angled grip
The fact that someone has an opinion, doesn't make their opinion a fact. Making just arguments first requires an acknowledgement of intellectual humility, while valid arguments require you to not commit fallacies of logic and rhetoric.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, December 13th 2013, 5:53am

That's helpful. It seems to confirm what I've been feeling after playing with the carbines for a while, which is that the AKU-12 comes closest in terms of accuracy. Unfortunately I feel so underpowered at a distance that it's difficult to stick with. The AUG makes sense too, but I'm intrigued by the PKP... never cared for it earlier.

Despite the trend I noticed from the HB+grip BFF thread from BF3 (first most important thing is spread, second is total horizontal recoil, third is how close to zero one side of the H-recoil is), the G36c in this game surprises me: low spread increase per shot, bullet travels faster, just as easy to control as the AKU-12... I get that it's less accurate on paper, but it seems to get the job done. The only reason I won't take the Type-95 over it is because of the base ADS spread is smaller on the G36c.

If the MTAR doing 18 points of minimum damage is true, I can't wait to try that out, even with the likely greater ADS spread because of the bullpup design. Videos make the vertical recoil look very manageable too.

Actually, thinking about it, the description makes it look exclusively tailored for CQB, so any hopes I had of DICE lowering the maximum damage are probably shot.

Date of registration
: Sep 3rd 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Friday, December 13th 2013, 8:56am

@actor

Do not use the G36C, it's a crap gun by any metric. It "gets the job done" as you said, but the low ROF, low muzzle velocity and horrible recoil kills it. You are better off using virtually any other carbine.

I'm willing to bet a large sum of money that the MTAR doing 18 minimum damage is a DICE mistake, and that it's going to be rectified soon. Don't get too attached to it.

Date of registration
: Dec 20th 2011

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Friday, December 13th 2013, 11:01am

I also miss my ACW-R like it was in BF3 :( For me it was like an AR for the engineer-class...

The gun I think that comes nearest in the carbine section is the AK5C, great accuracy, high Muzzlevelocity and nearly same TTK. Unfortunately I don´t think any gun will come near the feeling that this gun had back in BF3.

Date of registration
: Dec 18th 2013

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Wednesday, December 18th 2013, 9:16am

I know most people try to stay way from DMR's but I've had good luck using the SKS with short range sights. It still has decent hip fire and gets even better once you have the laser sight. If you're going to try for medium range w/acog or the like try the RFB.
Add me on PSN! @nicksuperb

Date of registration
: Nov 6th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Wednesday, December 18th 2013, 10:29am

The ACE 52 CQB's minimum damage is 20, requiring 1 less bullet to kill at range than all ARs other than the SCAR-H.

BanzaiB

To much tv is the cause of death

(212)

Date of registration
: Jan 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Wednesday, December 18th 2013, 11:45am

ACE 52! One of the best TTK, even for CQ.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, December 18th 2013, 12:23pm

I enjoy the ACE 52 depending on how I want to play, but I'll be damned if I can pop someone in the head who is behind cover. That single situation has me consistently going back to low vertical-recoil weapons, G36c, AKU-12, Type-95, and then sometimes the AK 5C.

AK 5c: this is a solid weapon at range, but the stats have completely fucked with my head and I am always let down by this thing. I think it's because, after providing healthy bursts and recoil compensation, I'm always expecting an enemy to go down one bullet sooner. I think it's all in my head when it comes to this gun, but it doesn't feel like a cut above any of the other carbines in practice... numbers are going to dictate it's more accurate than the G36c, but I've had better luck at long range with the latter (maybe I'm not accurate enough myself to reap the benefit of an accurate weapon).

Currently playing around with the Type-95 (suppressor, angled grip, RDS). It's surprising me thanks to the reliable accuracy (yeah, I see the .375 ADS, but it's not enough to bother me yet considering the horizontal recoil and moving ADS spread benefit).