Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "swyck" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jan 3rd 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Thursday, November 21st 2013, 8:19pm

Simple analysis of server browser filters

Occasionally I'll see a post on Battlelog, or even Reddit, insisting that no one is playing BF on PC because they cannot find populated servers. This often devolves even further into BF bashing, where no one is playing because insert favorite reason BF sux. I'll point out that server browser filters must be set to optimize the search results. This is usually ignored with some even insisting that no filters is best. This reached a crescendo late in the BF3 era and was used to claim no one was actually playing BF3, which was untrue.

I'm sure most here are aware of all this, but I thought I'd do some tests to verify what I already knew about how the server browser works. It is now mid day in the Eastern US so it is not prime time here. I am assuming a player is looking for a conquest server with 30+ active players.

I reset the filters to start. With reset filters the only filters set are Free Slots (1-5, 6-10, 10+, and All), Type (Official and Ranked), and Region (North America). This results in two populated servers returned with only one above 30 pop.

I made various adjustments, adding Preset (Normal), Mode (Conquest and Conquest Large), and Game Size (32, 48, 64, other) and tested the results.

The single largest increase in results returned is by taking All out of Free Slots. This by itself resulted in increasing populated servers 30+ to 7. Keeping All in Free Slots did not significantly affect the results when other parameters were adjusted.

Without All in Free Slots:

• Adding only CQ\CQ Large to Mode did not increase the results.

• Adding only Normal to Preset resulted in 14 servers with 30+ pop.

• Adding only Game Size (32, 48, 64, other) returned 8 servers,

The best results were with Free Slots (1-5, 6-10, 10+), Mode (Conquest and Conquest Large), Game Size (32, 48, 64, other), and Preset (Normal) returning 16 servers. Of course the numbers returned changed with every search.

To summarize, always remove All from Free Slots, and then adjust Mode, Game Size, and Preset. None of the other settings will return good results if All is in Free Slots.

I assume there is a limit to the number of results returned and the large amount of zero population servers will often use that up. IMO All should not be a default in Free Slots, but there it is. This is probably the single biggest reason for the "no one is playing" posts.
Swyck

Date of registration
: Jan 27th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Friday, November 22nd 2013, 1:06am

Why would anyone be stupid enough to want to join a server with all free slots? in other words empty

• "swyck" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jan 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Friday, November 22nd 2013, 4:50am

Why would anyone be stupid enough to want to join a server with all free slots? in other words empty

They probably wouldn't, but it's the default setting. Ridiculous to have that as a default.

I guess some people may still use zero pop as test servers. Before the test range in BF4 this was the only way to test things in BF3. Also they may just want to do some map walk through's.
Swyck