Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "AlwaysFirstToDie" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jan 30th 2013

Platform: PC

Location: The land of weedheads and crackpots. The Netherlands, it's called officially.

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Wednesday, November 20th 2013, 3:02pm

So, vehicles...

I've never been a star in (specifically, armoured) vehicles, really, but I managed in BF3.

So now BF4 came along and DICE in its infinite wisdom made those things pretty much impossible to play in for me because:

1) Ammo replenisment mechanism.
Okay, I guess it adds some sort of realism to things to run out of ammo at the most inconvenient moments. And it happens to me a lot. I can work with waiting time between shots. But having to wait (long!) for ammo replenisment to actually continue at all is a friggen annoyance. But alas, can't be helped. The factor which makes it really annoying though is:
2) Critical Damage
This concept is outright stupid. Well, not really, but combined with #1 it's certain death for anyone not being extremely skilled in vehicle play. Which seems to be only me, judging by my average survival time in an LAV or tank. It's odd that every time I get hit with a shell, rocket, or whatever I get critical damage (which is odd as I have 70% "health" left too, as it was only one hit) which prevents me from moving at all. Even more odd is that I just shot a bunch of shells onto my opposing tank and it seems to whizz along just fine, lobbing shells at me like there's no end to it. All the while I'm a sitting duck with a non moving piece of crap under me with 70% health and an empty gun.

So what am I doing wrong? Yeah, I know the rear and top of the tank are most vulnerable. But whenever I'm driving it doesn't seem to make one iota of difference where I'm hit, I'm pretty much always stopped dead in my tracks. So say I'm meeting another tank headon. Where do I have to aim my shell to have it also sustain critical damage in a single shot?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "AlwaysFirstToDie" (Nov 20th 2013, 3:10pm)

Witchalok

Grounded in reality

(301)

Date of registration
: Mar 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Wednesday, November 20th 2013, 3:33pm

I am no expert on tank warfare (especially in BF4) but I can chip in with some quick tips:

- always keep the front of your tank towards the enemy. A side shot to the tracks will result in a mobility hit.
- look for active protection give-aways. If they use it there will be a green light on the tank. Save your shells and refrain from shooting. Wait until the light turns red then shoot. Pillar them (put an obstacle between you and them) until then.
- if you receive a mobility hit, it's a good time to pop your active protection. It will negate any shells/rockets so you are no longer a sitting duck. In my limited experience, the active protection is the best unlock for the slot
- Try to avoid head-on battles with other tanks/LAVs. Even if you win the engagement, you will probably be at low health and will have wasted a big number of shells trying to take the opponent down. You will be easy pickings for infantry/any tank that rolls in
- try to flank around the enemy armor/keep your distance. If you see a tank, don't go head on with it (see the above as well). Try to flank if he didn't see you and come in from behind, or stay in cover. Let him come to you and expose his vulnerable side.
- infantry players can/will help you. Try to move together with them. The engineers will shoot at any armor you encounter, helping you destroy them, and on the plus side, they can help kill any enemy repairers. Don't be a lone wolf.
- Even if you are a tank, and have all that armor, don't expose yourself too much. Try to take the off-beaten track when approaching objectives. Move behind cover, so that the enemy doesn't see/spot you from kilometers away.

Date of registration
: Sep 4th 2013

Battlelog:

Thursday, November 21st 2013, 9:16am

- try to flank around the enemy armor/keep your distance. If you see a tank, don't go head on with it (see the above as well). Try to flank if he didn't see you and come in from behind, or stay in cover. Let him come to you and expose his vulnerable side.
- infantry players can/will help you. Try to move together with them. The engineers will shoot at any armor you encounter, helping you destroy them, and on the plus side, they can help kill any enemy repairers. Don't be a lone wolf.
- Even if you are a tank, and have all that armor, don't expose yourself too much. Try to take the off-beaten track when approaching objectives. Move behind cover, so that the enemy doesn't see/spot you from kilometers away.
- yes, very good tips, always be the one to shoot first. try to sneak up from behind.
- kindly ask useless noob medics, MG dudes, recons out of the tank. why? because they take up the place of an engineer who will be able to repair you when, also noobs will spam the MG which will give you away, also dickheads will steal your tank whilst you repair and then waste it
- adjust your playstyle to your shell, HE: go for the flank and enjoy the heavy damage. SABOT: Engage long range with confidence and stay away from infantry.
- also I heard offering the enemy tank your front corner may actually cause you taking less damage than going full frontal since the enemy tank is now shooting at an angle
Moving ADS spread values

WoopsyYaya - YouTube(Tipps und Tricks) [Deutsch/HD]

Show Gun Master some love <3 - Vol. 3

Funny quotes

As a main hater on this forum, I say no, it's not worth it.
I have been playing Battlefield since 1942 (the original PC game, not the year).
now I'd jerk off a hobo
With a compensator and angled grip I click people to death like I was playing diablo.
AKU-12 stomps it in the nuts and posts the video to WorldStarHipHop.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, November 21st 2013, 9:17am

btw, is that how active protection works? that is AWESOME ! but why don't they work against locks + guided shells / javs (I think) and MBT-LAW? ;(
Moving ADS spread values

Funny quotes

I have been playing Battlefield since 1942 (the original PC game, not the year).
now I'd jerk off a hobo
With a compensator and angled grip I click people to death like I was playing diablo.

• "AlwaysFirstToDie" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jan 30th 2013

Location: The land of weedheads and crackpots. The Netherlands, it's called officially.

Battlelog:

Thursday, November 21st 2013, 1:09pm

Good tips, yeah. I tried to play more cautiously with a tank than I did in BF3 yesterday, and it seems I survived slightly longer. I still pretty much lost all engagements because I couldn't move/ran out of ammo.

In the mean time I'm curious as to which shell is the most effective to use. I've the HE shell now, but that thing has quite a drop at even medium distance. Which shell is to preferred? Is there difference in reload times between the shells?

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,795)

Date of registration
: Dec 16th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Thursday, November 21st 2013, 1:26pm

btw, is that how active protection works? that is AWESOME ! but why don't they work against locks + guided shells / javs (I think) and MBT-LAW? ;(

It definitely works against MBT-LAW, fired 3 on a tank and they all blew up without hurting it

Quoted

(14:06:57) Riesig: I should stop now. People might get sig material again

Date of registration
: Nov 21st 2013

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Thursday, November 21st 2013, 2:08pm

Good tips, yeah. I tried to play more cautiously with a tank than I did in BF3 yesterday, and it seems I survived slightly longer. I still pretty much lost all engagements because I couldn't move/ran out of ammo.

In the mean time I'm curious as to which shell is the most effective to use. I've the HE shell now, but that thing has quite a drop at even medium distance. Which shell is to preferred? Is there difference in reload times between the shells?
I use the STAFF shell and the HE shell. The STAFF works well against infantry behind cover and the HE works well against any armor, light or heavy. The STAFF can also be guided and acquire lock-on and will destroy ATVs and buggies in one shot. I also fire the STAFF shell at tanks from a distance.

My tank setup:
Primary: HE shell
Secondary: STAFF shell
IRNV Optics (this one works better for my eyesight compared to thermal on PS3)
Active Protection
Reactive Armor

Keep in mind tanks are NOT for driving down the middle of urban environments, unless necessary, they are there to cause the other team to go into chaos.

If you are concerned about reload times then equip the Autoloader, this shortens the reload time. Not enough in my opinion, so I don't use it.

Some of my strategies:
  • Tanks are for battling other tanks primarily, try to engage from a distance
  • Stay away from urban environments and small streets if possible
  • Never sit in one place for long, otherwise you will have C4 on you and your tank is wasted
  • Try to engage the enemy from a distance
  • Active Protection will detonate most rockets/guided missiles BEFORE they hit you but goes into a cooling down period for 25 seconds
  • I typically ALWAYS fire the STAFF shell first at long range to do preliminary damage. Often times against other tanks, the one who fires first will usually win.

Date of registration
: Jun 29th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Thursday, November 21st 2013, 3:03pm

tanks are strategic tools - not killstreaks

the new ammo mechanic and critical hit mechanics punishes anyone still treating it like some CoD killstreak reward - quit wasting shells on single infantry, and quit rushing in solo

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, November 21st 2013, 3:32pm

It definitely works against MBT-LAW, fired 3 on a tank and they all blew up without hurting it
oh kk, btw can you recall in which thread someone said that smoke was better than active protection?
Moving ADS spread values

Funny quotes

now I'd jerk off a hobo

Octopuss

Rocktopus

(274)

Date of registration
: Feb 16th 2013

Reputation modifier: 9

Thursday, November 21st 2013, 4:16pm

tanks are strategic tools - not killstreaks

the new ammo mechanic and critical hit mechanics punishes anyone still treating it like some CoD killstreak reward - quit wasting shells on single infantry, and quit rushing in solo
And yet some people already have thousands kills in tanks. You gotta have some inhuman vehicle skills for that I guess.