Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Godzy" started this thread

Date of registration
: Oct 7th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Saturday, November 9th 2013, 8:55am

Muzzle break isnt pointless. (imo)

I posted this reply in another thread but i felt that it deserved its own thread, specially considering how much hate the muzzle break is getting on here i thought it would be interesting to have a discussion onnit.

IMO muzzle break isnt pointless, specially on DMR's.

Muzzle break when looking at weapons from a "scientific" point of view is pointless (and inferior), because your accounting for perfect recoil compensation, but when looking at it from a realistic point of view being were humans, DMR's need all the vertical recoil help they can get. With a first shot multiplier of 2.0 and 0.5 and up for the rest muzzlebreak is more then viable, specially on a semi auto.

Compensating for recoil on full autos is alot easier then semi-autos cause to compensate perfectly for semi-autos u almost have to jab the mouse down after each shot, which is extremely difficult to do accurately/consistently.

Other weapons also become alot "easier/realistic" to use when using a muzzle break, "scientifically" it makes your gun worse in every way, realistically tho muzzle break is one of the best barrels for alot of weapons when being used by normal human beings.

TLDR; Muzzle break makes your gun worse in every single way if you are a machine and have no flaws, if your a human being though its one of the best barrels on alot of weapons.

Date of registration
: Jan 27th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Saturday, November 9th 2013, 9:02am

I think the consensus was not that muzzle break is pointless, but rather the compensator is better in every way

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, November 9th 2013, 9:08am

I think the consensus was not that muzzle break is pointless, but rather the compensator is better in every way
Not really, on guns with very low hori recoil the muzzle break can be the better pick, dmr's, ace 52 CQB and more give more benefit then a compensator, IF you are accounting for being human.

Date of registration
: Nov 5th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Saturday, November 9th 2013, 9:10am

I usually go for the compensator for the sole reason that horizontal recoil (particularly even left-right patterns) are impossible to control unlike v-recoil, which isn't a problem.. especially if you h-recoil isn't bad!
This is where I'm coming from: Clicky

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, November 9th 2013, 9:24am

I usually go for the compensator for the sole reason that horizontal recoil (particularly even left-right patterns) are impossible to control unlike v-recoil, which isn't a problem.. especially if you h-recoil isn't bad!
Ofc, for most weapons the compensator is easily the superior choice! All this thread is to dicuss/get out there is that the muzzle break isnt necessarily bad/useless, its just for a very niche set of weapons.

Contortrix

Professional Ninja

(507)

Date of registration
: May 27th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Saturday, November 9th 2013, 1:21pm

The thing is too many people here only look at the numbers and don't do the complementary field testing.
LvlCap said he prefers the muzzle break on the AEK. You may not like him, but he knows his gameplay.

Sao

(680)

Date of registration
: Jan 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Saturday, November 9th 2013, 1:42pm

Muzzle break makes learning a gun easier. Look at the M16A3 from BF3. Some pro's prefered Flash Sup because it reduced the V recoil. But V recoil is the one thing you can control. Yes if you only have 30 odd kills with a weapon it makes it easier to leanr but its full auto spread wil be high.

On weapons designed for CQC (aka AEK, FAMAS etc) then the muzzle break can be handy, but on long bursts you WILL miss your target at 20/30m. The most common Engagement range in BF4. Not forgetting if you get suppressed your spread will go batshit huge.

TL;DR. MB is good for people who do not want to learn how to recoil control, but you will have the edge if you use a HBAR and can learn the recoil pattern.

My Video

I used to be an asker like you, then I took a search bar to the knee....

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,088)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Saturday, November 9th 2013, 1:53pm

Yep my point, too, symthic can only tell you that much, the actual testing you have to by yourself. I found the muzzle break to be better on the AK for me than the heavy barrel. Along with the vertical grip, my performance went way up, so I will likely keep it that way with other ARs as well. Personal preference and gut feeling is a factor that can not be measured by numbers.

Date of registration
: Jun 23rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Saturday, November 9th 2013, 2:11pm

The point is not that the muzzle break is pointless. But that it's value can be totally compensated for by simply dragging your mouse down in most cases.

Symthic deals in hard facts and numbers; and the numbers are pretty clear. Muzzle Break will not provide any benefit as long as you can control the recoil. If you perform better with it, it's not because the Muzzle Break is a good attachment, but rather than you suck at compensating recoil with that particular weapon. (Sounds harsh, but it's the simple truth).

Now it's not bad to admit that you suck at compensating. I suck at compensating the new AEK, I haven't used it enough yet, so for the sporadic times I use it I equip a MB.
Would I want to get the most out of that gun however, I LEARN it's recoil and compensate for it. Allowing me to equip an attachment that is statistically better.

-----

There are a few exceptions that are really hard to calculate though.
There are certain situations or weapons (e.g. DMRs) where the Muzzle Break might give you a higher effective fire rate because you can get back on target faster. (Spread is much less and recovers faster, so recoil would be the limiting factor here)

Haemoglobin

Soft Drink Trafficker

(667)

Date of registration
: Feb 21st 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Saturday, November 9th 2013, 2:31pm

Edit: Point already made elsewhere.

Compensator > Muzzle break in almost all situations.
I sprint outside my building and judder my way around the block, screaming obscenities at the neighbors before getting stuck on a small hedge and blacking out.
Prepares me perfectly for my in game experience.

Quoted from "LucidNonsenze"

Noobs deserve better!

Quoted from "tehmoriz"

turning on my desk lamp causes my computer to play the "usb disconnected" sound