Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Date of registration
: Dec 19th 2011

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Tuesday, November 26th 2013, 3:19pm

4.4 ghz I got around 82 frames avg/56 min.
4.0 ghz was 95 average and 66 min
3.4 ghz was 96 avg and 67 min

So basically the less I OC the better my results are...? Anybody know what's going on here? For reference I didn't do long term stability testing but had established that my 4.4 was stable enough for daily gaming without any issue.

On a different BCLK strap? Clocked down the memory clocks to get higher CPU clock? In a RAM intensive game as BF4 this might actually have an impact? I'm doubtful but can't offer any other ideas outside "this must be a case of human error". I've read about low end CPU's offereing better performance but the same CPU doing better at lower clockspeeds?

I've tried different bclk and different core multipliers (and combinations). Also changed voltages slightly and tried both override and adaptive voltages. Ran another one last night and again verified 4.4ghz @ 1.25v nets consistently less fps than stock setup somehow. Thinking back on it my 3dmark 11 also dropped slightly after my OC but I chalked that up to normal variance at the time.

I haven't mucked with ram timing or anything else yet. Figured I need to see some results with this before bothering with anything else.

I'm stumped sideways....

Also my bclk test was rather pointless since I forgot my frames were capped. However the OC did net a 5 fps drop on the minimum for whatever that's worth.

Edit: worth mentioning I have an asrock board and have been using their bios utility. Perhaps it's changing other things that I am unaware of?

Date of registration
: Jun 18th 2012

Battlelog:

Tuesday, November 26th 2013, 3:58pm

Is your CPU throttling down because of high temps maybe?

Run benchmarks like superpi to check if overall performance decreases with an overclock. It's highly unlikely because I can't think of anything that would hurt you more than a 1Ghz CPU clock would gain, but that's where I'd start. Get more data than BF4 framerate alone.

It's also woth checking the auto timings your memory is being set to, you can easily check the most improtant timings through cpu-z. Usually it's a mess so I would recommend setting them manually eventually.

And maybe I'm too much of an oldschool guy, but I would never use an overclocking utility for anything more thana quick and dirty test. If you want to set a serious long term overclock use the BIOS. Dial in the numbers you want and check all the important variables like vdroop control, speedstep off etc.

Date of registration
: Dec 19th 2011

Battlelog:

Tuesday, November 26th 2013, 4:09pm

And maybe I'm too much of an oldschool guy, but I would never use an overclocking utility for anything more thana quick and dirty test. If you want to set a serious long term overclock use the BIOS.

This here appears to be the answer. I figured it out just now actually. Thanks for pushing me in the right direction. I have no idea WTF my auto overclock was doing but I never saw temps above sevent at "4.4ghz 1.25v" and I just set a manual 4.0ghz @ 1.20v and was up in the mid 70s using intel burn test. Here's a before/after between stock and 4.0. Ultra settings. Min is a little lower but there's a lot of variability there. About 10fps average increase.

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
11905, 123547, 68, 124, 96.360

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
12429, 117562, 62, 149, 105.723

So in summary....don't trust that stupid utility, even if it is in the BIOS.

I guess your user error comment wasn't too far off ;)

Date of registration
: Jun 18th 2012

Battlelog:

Tuesday, November 26th 2013, 4:15pm

Nice to be able to help :thumbup:

Octopuss

Rocktopus

(274)

Date of registration
: Feb 16th 2013

Reputation modifier: 9

• "WoopsyYaya" started this thread

Date of registration
: Sep 4th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Thursday, November 28th 2013, 1:05pm

thanks I had the link in the first post, but adjusted the name now, so it's actually recognisable as to where it came from.....

jeez still haven't made the switch myself lol ^^
Moving ADS spread values

WoopsyYaya - YouTube(Tipps und Tricks) [Deutsch/HD]

Show Gun Master some love <3 - Vol. 3

Funny quotes

As a main hater on this forum, I say no, it's not worth it.
I have been playing Battlefield since 1942 (the original PC game, not the year).
now I'd jerk off a hobo
With a compensator and angled grip I click people to death like I was playing diablo.
AKU-12 stomps it in the nuts and posts the video to WorldStarHipHop.

Date of registration
: Nov 12th 2015

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Friday, November 13th 2015, 10:09am

You don't want to use a windows 8!

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,612)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 17

Friday, November 13th 2015, 11:14am

You don't want to use a windows 8!

Please don't necro threads (= don't post on threads that are many months old with no activity and with nothing constructive to add).

Thread locked.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included