Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "WoopsyYaya" started this thread

Date of registration
: Sep 4th 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Wednesday, October 30th 2013, 5:50pm

Graphics settings and how they affect FPS

EDIT: This is a summary of what we have learned in this thread and the fantastic Nvidia Battlefield 3 Tweak Guide. Nvidia BF3 Tweakguide

BF3 Shadow quality = BF4 Lighting quality
BF3 Antisotropic filtering = BF4 Texture filtering

"FPS Cost" is an estimate taken from the Nvidia Tweak guide for a resolution of 1920x1080. For other resolutions consult the guide. Some values for new settings are from forum members.
There is often a trade-off between beauty and performance.
The suggestions are of course somewhat personal and aimed towards more FPS, so you need to think for yourself what you want. ;)

Texture quality FPS Cost: 2 Suggested setting: High Note: Very low FPS cost, makes surfaces and hence everything look better, you can turn it up to High
Lighting quality FPS Cost: 5 Suggested setting: Low Note: Controls how good and jaggedy shadows look at medium FPS cost, you can keep it on low to save FPS
Post processing quality FPS Cost: 10 (tehmoriz) Suggested setting: Low Note: Lighting bloom, makes stuff look prettier, according to a forum member can cost up to 10 fps, turn it off for performance
Effects quality FPS Cost: 4 Suggested setting: Low/Medium Note: Medium FPS cost, makes explosions, rain and frost on your goggles, etc look prettier, set to Low for better performance
Mesh quality FPS Cost: 4 Suggested setting: Ultra Note: Helps spot enemies and displays objects further away, this is the one you should set to Ultra
Terrain quality FPS Cost: 4 Suggested setting: Ultra/Low Note: Tank drivers and jet pilots set it to ultra to prevent geometric "pop-in", i.e. to prevent terrain from changing shape as you move, but I have no idea how it plays out for infantry, however, low FPS cost so feel free to play around
Terrain decoration FPS Cost: 2 Suggested setting: Low Note: Set it on low, you will see less grass, flower pots etc.. Which will help you see your enemies
MSAA (AA deferred) FPS Cost: 16 Suggested setting: Off Note: Reduces edges/jaggedness, huge FPS cost, if you want to save FPS lower it and us FXAA.
FXAA (AA Post) FPS Cost: 2 Suggested setting: Max Note: Smoothes/blurs edges, very low FPS cost
Motion Blur FPS Cost: 2 Suggested setting: Off Note: Blurs your vision when moving, turn it off unless you wanna see even less in the heat of battle
Texture filtering FPS Cost: 0 Suggested setting: 16x Note: Minimal FPS cost but makes stuff look nice, max it
Ambient Occlusion FPS Cost: 10 Suggested setting: Off Note: Massive FPS cost for better terrain lighting / shadow, turn it off, you won't notice the difference whilst playing anyway
Resolution scale FPS Cost: 70(WoopsyYaya) Suggested setting: 100% Note: Uses down-sampling, like it renders your picture at a higher resolution, then scales it down to anti-alias everything as opposed to selective anti-aliasing provided by MSAA. The FPS cost is huge, setting it from 100% to 200% on my PC curbed the framerate from 110+ to 40, so leave it at 100% unless you know what you are doing or run a very powerful system.

Let me know what you think, when I get home I might put this in a table and add it as a screenshot if you want

2014-01-03
Credit to @bwat47
Triple buffering is actually enabled by default in BF4 regardless of whether you have vsync enabled or not (according to DICE's rendering architect: https://twitter.com/repi/status/133284972801961984

Credit to @Miffyli
Just going to note here that one shouldn't choose HBAO when using AMD card(s). HBAO is NVidia's implementation of ambient occlusion while HDAO (which we apparently can't have) is AMD's implementation, thus HBAO being unnecessary heavy on AMD. On my 7970, HBAO dropped my fps below (constant) 50 while I had over 60 with SSAO, and without AO well over 70-80.

Credit to @Rezal
start with 120% and increase until you get performance issues. Lower than 120% is not worth it considering the performance loss over 100%.
Moving ADS spread values

WoopsyYaya - YouTube(Tipps und Tricks) [Deutsch/HD]

Show Gun Master some love <3 - Vol. 3

Funny quotes

As a main hater on this forum, I say no, it's not worth it.
I have been playing Battlefield since 1942 (the original PC game, not the year).
now I'd jerk off a hobo
With a compensator and angled grip I click people to death like I was playing diablo.
AKU-12 stomps it in the nuts and posts the video to WorldStarHipHop.

This post has been edited 9 times, last edit by "WoopsyYaya" (Nov 3rd 2014, 12:31pm)

Mofixil

Sometimes I just get blinded by hate. And tears.

(377)

Date of registration
: Jul 27th 2013

Reputation modifier: 9

Wednesday, October 30th 2013, 6:00pm

Present in BF4, not present in BF3
1. Lighting quality
2. Texture filtering
3. Post processing quality
4. Resolution scale

Present in BF3, not present in BF4

1. Shadow quality (=Lighting quality?)
2. Antisotropic filtering (=Texture filtering?)
1 and 2 are right, 3 is most likely a part of BF3's "Effects Quality", 4 dictates the resolution in which every frame has to be rendered, 100% is your set in-game resolution (most of the time it's native resolution of one's screen), anything below will sacrifice the sharpness of image for more performance and vice versa, setting it higher than 100% will give you more detailed image (and AA due to downsampling) at a huge performance cost.

Could someone check if 100% vs 150% render reso has same effect as, for example, 1920x1080 vs. 2880x1620?

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, October 30th 2013, 6:18pm

Present in BF4, not present in BF3
1. Lighting quality
2. Texture filtering
3. Post processing quality
4. Resolution scale

Present in BF3, not present in BF4

1. Shadow quality (=Lighting quality?)
2. Antisotropic filtering (=Texture filtering?)
1 and 2 are right, 3 is most likely a part of BF3's "Effects Quality", 4 dictates the resolution in which every frame has to be rendered, 100% is your set in-game resolution (most of the time it's native resolution of one's screen), anything below will sacrifice the sharpness of image for more performance and vice versa, setting it higher than 100% will give you more detailed image (and AA due to downsampling) at a huge performance cost.

Could someone check if 100% vs 150% render reso has same effect as, for example, 1920x1080 vs. 2880x1620?
sweet ty that's 2 down.
So 3. has nothing to do with AA?
So resolution scale is just to fill the gaps between fixed settings such 1920x1080 and 2880x1620?
Could you explain what is AA due to downsampling or link some good info where I can read it up?
Moving ADS spread values

Funny quotes

I have been playing Battlefield since 1942 (the original PC game, not the year).
now I'd jerk off a hobo
With a compensator and angled grip I click people to death like I was playing diablo.

Mofixil

Sometimes I just get blinded by hate. And tears.

(377)

Date of registration
: Jul 27th 2013

Reputation modifier: 9

Wednesday, October 30th 2013, 6:48pm

So 3. has nothing to do with AA?
So resolution scale is just to fill the gaps between fixed settings such 1920x1080 and 2880x1620?
Could you explain what is AA due to downsampling or link some good info where I can read it up?
I dunno, it might combine every post FX Frostbite supports, like that AA.
Downsampling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Here's a note about downsampling, this is exatly what Render Reso does.
Ever downloaded a wallpaper with resolution different than your screen? It's the same kind of stuff, except the ratio is always the same.

Date of registration
: Jun 12th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Sunday, November 3rd 2013, 12:28am

I configured my settings to make spotting targets the easiest. When optimizing I would turn up some setting before others. Also note that I prefer crisp, sharp detail, and not the sloppy blurred mess that modern post-processing creates.

Things that should be minimum ultra:
Mesh Quality
Texture Filtering

Things that should be as high as your system can support:
Lighting Quality
Terrain Decoration
Terrain Quality
Texture Quality
Anti-aliasing Deferred
Resolution (native to your monitor)

Things that should be turned to lowest setting or off:
Ambient Occlusion
Anti-aliasing Post
Effects Quality
Post-Process Quality
Motion Blur

Things you should never touch, unless you're running an extreme system and want to purposely lose frames:
Resolution Scale

One other tip, you can optimize your settings in the test range. If you do target 80FPS, this will average out to 60FPS in the multiplayer maps.
The fact that someone has an opinion, doesn't make their opinion a fact. Making just arguments first requires an acknowledgement of intellectual humility, while valid arguments require you to not commit fallacies of logic and rhetoric.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "untamedone" (Nov 3rd 2013, 12:39am)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, November 3rd 2013, 4:42am

I configured my settings to make spotting targets the easiest. When optimizing I would turn up some setting before others. Also note that I prefer crisp, sharp detail, and not the sloppy blurred mess that modern post-processing creates.

Things that should be minimum ultra: (whats beyond ultra? :thumbsup: )
Mesh Quality
Texture Filtering

Things that should be as high as your system can support:
Lighting Quality
Terrain Decoration
Terrain Quality
Texture Quality
Anti-aliasing Deferred
Resolution (native to your monitor)

Things that should be turned to lowest setting or off:
Ambient Occlusion
Anti-aliasing Post
Effects Quality
Post-Process Quality
Motion Blur

Things you should never touch, unless you're running an extreme system and want to purposely lose frames:
Resolution Scale

One other tip, you can optimize your settings in the test range. If you do target 80FPS, this will average out to 60FPS in the multiplayer maps.
Do you know what post-processing quality stands for?
I would set Texture Decoration to Low, since less bushes = more visibility of enemies
Moving ADS spread values

Funny quotes

now I'd jerk off a hobo

Date of registration
: Jul 20th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Sunday, November 3rd 2013, 5:09am

Do you know what post-processing quality stands for?

basically the number of post processing effects they turn on. primarily affects light blooms, but can also change the quality of reflections, water shimmers, etc.

unfortunately, turning this down won't get rid of uber blinding sun.

mesh quality, texture filtering, and terrain quality should be set to ultra. everything else can be fiddled around to your liking. for the best clarity and performance, i'd turn off ambient occlusion, any form of AA, terrain decorations, post processing quality, and motion blur.

Contortrix

Professional Ninja

(507)

Date of registration
: May 27th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Sunday, November 3rd 2013, 5:13am

Can you say why those should be set to ultra?

Riesig

Random Signature Generator

(814)

Date of registration
: Mar 8th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Sunday, November 3rd 2013, 5:33am

Only mesh is directly related to draw distance, which should be kept ultra

The rest? They're just going to tax your system without any reaasonable benefit other than LOOK AT THAT DETAILED LAMP POST 200M away!
I'm a tsundere tentacle

Date of registration
: Jan 27th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Sunday, November 3rd 2013, 7:46am

Does anyone's motion blur work? For me 100% and 0% makes no difference, at 100% there is still no blur (verified by taking a screenshot during fast movement). I'm not complaining since I like it disabled though.