Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Captain Boosh" started this thread

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2013

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Wednesday, June 12th 2013, 6:42pm

Worries About Commander Mode

I've only been playing the Battlefield series since Bad Company 1, but have put in over 500+ hours since that time (probably close to 600). So I've never lived through Commander mode. I have some fears on what this will do to the game so maybe someone here can assuage those worries.

My main concern is I'm best at Tank gameplay. I have a tendency to wreck face in a tank even without a repair slave (even better when with a friend to take care of me). Of course I'm running smoke in BF3 after the patch that made javelin's way stronger. So if I was to be taken out in a tank, it would be by a bunch of RPGs in close quarters (though I am great against infantry close up, I like to get in the middle of things when it comes to action), or a suicide C4 runner. That's my fault if I let myself be killed in that way (stuck my neck too far out into unsafe territory etc). Javelin's and guided missiles could be countered with smoke, enough so that I could still get hit but not overwhelmed.

But Commander Mode brings up the scary thought that I may be playing extremely well, keeping Engineers from getting RPGs in me, stopping support cold in their suicide run tracks, countering lock-ons, and engaging other tanks from the sides and rear to decimate my opponents. I'm untouchable and am single handedly pushing up for my team and causing a disturbance to either distract the enemies to concentrate on me or supporting my squad.

Out of nowhere, a Tomahawk missile smashes me to bits without any word of warning or chance to fight back. There needs to be some assurance I have a fighting chance against threats like that. It wouldn't be fair to just be blown to bits without any recourse. That punishes good players to be targets for the nuke upon them. If a quick C4 kills me, it's my fault for letting them get that close or running over a trap, but here I don't see any fairness.

It's supposed to be rock paper scissors idea to this game but this is like volcano has been thrown in and nothing defeats it.

And this doesn't even touch on the sneaky recon with a silenced UMP 45 getting spotted by a UAV or something. Is it going to drastically alter how we can effectively play the game?

TL;DR - Commander mode scares me cause I play good, am I wrong to feel this?
Something cool should go here.

LucidNonsenze

Elite (Not Really)

(708)

Date of registration
: May 14th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Wednesday, June 12th 2013, 6:45pm

The tomahawks take around 8+ seconds to hit and are visible on the map the whole time it appears in the game play so far. If you maintain map awareness you won't really be in danger.

Signature

BF4, PC.

AMD FX8350 at 4.4GHz.
AMD R9 280x MSI Twin Frozr OC'ed to 1150MHz Core. 1700MHz Memory.
8GB Crucial RAM 1600MHz CL9-9-9-24 1T.
1TB 7200 RPM HD
Logitech G400 mouse.
MSI 990 series motherboard
1920 x 1080 IPS Monitor.

Date of registration
: Apr 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Wednesday, June 12th 2013, 7:00pm

In BF2 and 2142, you had an audible indication that something would come down soon.
[Aristocrat's Shoes]
TLDR -
Teamwork is where players function by themselves, but their effectiveness is multiplied when they work together. Not a checklist of "did we bring a healer so we can start playing?"

Date of registration
: Jan 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Wednesday, June 12th 2013, 7:15pm

It sounded like the Tomahawk was an area attack weapon, not a lock on weapon. If you're unfortunate enough to be where it lands, it's too bad.

IMO you should be able to avoid them for the most part as long as you're not planted in place, but you also will get plastered by one on rare occasions. No matter how good you are you'll occasionally get stuck in a place or hindered by other vehicles or rubble, and that's probably when you need to worry.

IMO no one should totally invulnerable to chance in the game, that doesn't make sense, but it doesn't sound like Tomahawks should bother you too much as long as you don't camp an obvious spot.
Swyck

Souperintendent

Does NOT represent Symthic

(312)

• "Souperintendent" has been banned

Date of registration
: Jan 30th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Wednesday, June 12th 2013, 7:17pm

I'm just worried that an idiot will get commander mode on one team and a genius on the other, and the whole tide of the game shifts because of that.

That, or there will be a shortage of people in Commander mode, so one team will have one and the other won't.

feci.

Quotes of the Ages:

Also, sad day when your phone corrects FAMAS to be in caps. Damn it.

That's not bad. My phone corrected "lets deforest Caspian Boarder" into "Lets de-foreskin Asians".... I think my phone is a racist pervert....

I would start singing Disney, but then I would be led on a path of destruction, eventually ending up with a boyfriend who is actually a skull with Macaroni and cheese.

a la Miley Cyrus

An edit by Auto in response to a couple of images of dead Union soldiers from the US Civil War:
Not what Auto wanted to see whilst eating his breakfast.... Put me off my cheerios dammit:/

God I feel like someone just hit me over the head with a bust of Sigmund Freud :D
Fucking hell!

Pandemic 2 made me hate Madagascar more than any other country in the world.

Sao

(680)

Date of registration
: Jan 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Wednesday, June 12th 2013, 7:29pm

Well in BF2 and BF2142 it was never a problem. If you had a bad commander, mutiny.

And you got a SHITTON of points as a commmander if you did it well.

My Video

I used to be an asker like you, then I took a search bar to the knee....

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, June 12th 2013, 8:20pm

OK then. maybe this begs another question.

As seen in the scripted multiplayer gameplay they showed, that Tomahawk took out multiple tanks in one hit. Maybe if it isn't a one hit kill but does maybe 75-80% damage, I could accept that. Totally demolishes your tank so that if you are in combat, it may be wise to just abandon (always go down with the ship!, also prevent enemy stealing vehicles). Or if you've taken damage, yeah it kills you.

I just hope it isn't a one hit kill unless it's ABSOLUTELY a direct hit and not a wide area (like in the video).

And now the other issue with an audible cue letting you know it's coming, who wouldn't just jump out and run? Defeats the purpose of the missile. And the mini-map doesn't go wide enough to see something like that incoming (I remember the Predator missile in CoD and knowing you can see it's inbound but the mini map is so small you have no idea where it's going).

I just don't want the finger of God smushing me because I am racking up kills. It's almost like a mini-kick-by-admin in that scenario.

C0llis

Up and down. Bounce all around

(3,334)

Date of registration
: Apr 15th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Wednesday, June 12th 2013, 8:26pm

I am also a bit scared of commander mode. Mainly because of how every flag seems to give one teams commander an additional ability while at the same time denying the other teams commander that very same ability. It will possibly make spawncamps even harder to break (imagine being trapped in your spawn with an AC-130 shelling your entire team to oblivion)... It would be ok if there were only one flag per map that would grant an additional advantage (similar to AK), but having abilities for every flag is just ridiculous.

The Gunship is also scary. It would be somewhat ok if it was controlled by AI or just a spawnpoint, but to be able to call in a player controlled gunship at any point in the map multiple times per round can't possibly end well. The gunship in AK singlehandedly ruined that expansion. I just hope DICE has learned.

Things people said

And reading Youtube comments still gives me Turbo Cancer.

It really is quite frustrating when Helen Keller sets up her LMG in the only doorway in/out of an area.

What kind of question is that? Since when is cheese ever a bad idea?

Hardline is a fun and sometimes silly Cops and Robbers sorta thing and I think that's great. Or it would be if it didn't suck.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, June 12th 2013, 8:34pm

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

That too. You reward the team doing well, while making it harder for the losing team to have a fighting chance.

And I'm not against all this stuff, I just hope the worries of fans makes DICE take a proactive look at this to balance it properly or at least make it fair or rock-paper-scissor-ish. We know how changing something of the game with DICE can just horribly break other things (Gunship on Rush in AK, increasing stinger range AND reducing lock on time in same patch, etc).

Date of registration
: Jan 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Wednesday, June 12th 2013, 8:55pm

OK then. maybe this begs another question.

As seen in the scripted multiplayer gameplay they showed, that Tomahawk took out multiple tanks in one hit. Maybe if it isn't a one hit kill but does maybe 75-80% damage, I could accept that. Totally demolishes your tank so that if you are in combat, it may be wise to just abandon (always go down with the ship!, also prevent enemy stealing vehicles). Or if you've taken damage, yeah it kills you.

I just hope it isn't a one hit kill unless it's ABSOLUTELY a direct hit and not a wide area (like in the video).

And now the other issue with an audible cue letting you know it's coming, who wouldn't just jump out and run? Defeats the purpose of the missile. And the mini-map doesn't go wide enough to see something like that incoming (I remember the Predator missile in CoD and knowing you can see it's inbound but the mini map is so small you have no idea where it's going).

I just don't want the finger of God smushing me because I am racking up kills. It's almost like a mini-kick-by-admin in that scenario.

Not sure I follow why you'd jump out and run. Being IN the tank should be safer than being OUT of the tank.

I also heard in LevelCap's video that it takes 10-20 seconds for the missile to arrive. I'd like to hear some confirmation of that. So first you'd have to be seen by the commander, selected and targeted, and then the missile will take a while to get there. If you sit still in a highly obvious area for that amount of time you deserve to be smushed by the finger of God. Me, I hope it is a one hit kill - direct hit - and don't see a problem with it. Just because you're in a tank doesn't mean you should be invulnerable. and as long as you're not sitting still I can't see this affecting you all that often.

Sounds to me like an area fire weapon rather than a target the tank weapon, but I could be wrong.
Swyck