Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "ColCamelToes" started this thread

Date of registration
: May 10th 2016

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Thursday, October 25th 2018, 8:28pm

Why am I more accurate in Windowed Mode?

Hello all,

I am about to ask a seemingly dumb question. Why am I more accurate when playing on the Practice Range in windowed mode vs full screen? It doesn't make sense to me at all, but its true. I have a routine that I do to practice my aim, and one day I wanted to watch a news live stream and practice at the same time, so I put BF4 in windowed mode. So to begin with, my BF4 screen size was smaller, targets were smaller, but my mouse seemed more accurate, and it seemed like my mouse control was MUCH smoother with less recoil and spread. That, and I was hitting targets at range MUCH MUCH with seemingly way less recoil and spread. It was TONS easier than if I was playing in fullscreen mode. This is a mystery to me and I can't figure it out. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance yall !

ColCamelToes

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,661)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 17

Thursday, October 25th 2018, 8:52pm

[subjective]
You are not the only one with similar experiences, although mine could just be placebo feeling. I too feel like I am doing much better when playing in windowed mode.

This could have something to do with the fact more of the game's window is in your central vision where you are focusing, or that there is less "noise" distracting you (less details in textures and such).

If anybody has more info on this I'd love the hear it.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration
: Jun 5th 2015

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 8

Thursday, October 25th 2018, 8:55pm

Smaller window > smaller spread cone > more accuracy. Simple.

signature 2.2

Things I support
ammo regen pls

Quoted from "NoctyrneSAGA"

_____
When I play with it [Autoloading 8] I feel like I am batman taking out 1 after 1 baddie while they feel helpless and don't know who is talking out their mates.
Remove 3D spotting. Itís a mechanic that rewards bad eyesight.
Wanna help your team by sneaking through enemy territory to provide spawns? THIS IS NOT TEAMWORK FGT I HOPE YOU RUN OUT OF MOTION BALLS TOO EARLY TO BE SUCCESSFUL
Wanna be Javelin squad but only have two guys? BETTER NOT GET YOUR SOFLAM KILLED FGT THIS IS NOT TEAMWORK WITHOUT A SUPPORT DUDE DROPPING AMMO ON YOU EVERY 2 MINUTES
Please post your best M1916 clips Magazines *fixed*.

DICE pls

Squadmate Healthbars in the HUD
Minor console QoL improvements
Ping Tool idea
"Wants to talk" tag for squad menu
Adding Suppression Confirmation
Spotting suggestions

Posts I should finish sometime:
Squad priority vehicle system (and anti stealing suggestion)
Scoring system flaws (and concept)
Battlefield definition
New helicopter idea
Suppression rework
Flow, immersion and fun in battlefield
Specializations: ideas and system rework
Gadget reworks and ideas
Why limited infinite ammo would be awesome
Other bitesize ideas

Date of registration
: Dec 7th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Thursday, October 25th 2018, 9:48pm

Maybe smaller window -> lower resolution -> higher FPS -> smoother controls?
bob

Date of registration
: Aug 28th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Friday, October 26th 2018, 12:26am

I, too, have gotten this impression when playing Minecraft, so I did some quick testing. I got consistently higher FPS in windowed mode (500-550), regardless of resolution, than in fullscreen (400-450). I was standing still in a map with no mobs or other events, so there shouldn't be any source of error.

Random search results:
Minecraft thread
General thread

Quoted

TLDR: it depends on hardware and software U use.

As for FO4 - this game is playable (at least for me) only in windowed borderless.
Witcher 3 - is also run smoothly only in windowed mode with fixed framerate.

The almost opposite are GTA5, dying light - I have them working better in fullscreen.

Can confirm that Dying Light runs much better in fullscreen.
Why I don't use lasers:

Quoted

The Green Laser Sight you should almost always turn off as it gives away your vacation.

Quotes Corner

Double Ass-Ault Tank Lunch - YouTube

Most fun ever in this game mode.

BF4: Competitive Tank Launching

Rated on explosives used, launch, flight trajectory, style/tricks, and landing.

Shitgun: Whoops did I spell that wrong? Nah, I don't believe so.

Anyone got any ideas about what the UGL Rail on the L86 is for? (13/04 Patch notes.)

XM25 can't mount, can it? Looking forward to my Underslung Ammo box!

Is there any way for anyone that doesn't have mod powers to know what the IE on 360 thread is? I feel so left out...

Nope. Deleted so only mods can see the contents. It has some... interesting stuff there... *squints @Riesig <.< *

*Nick 30075's Application for Moderatorship follows:*

HURR DURR I IS GOOD MOD GIB IE ON 360

My application would be better.
"Totally not Tapatalk only. Pls gib pwor"

Date of registration
: Jun 21st 2012

Reputation modifier: 8

Saturday, October 27th 2018, 4:59pm

Well, me too)
Maybe that's because Win8.1 and higher versions handles windowed mode better. Also, high priority via task manager nearly eliminates input lag difference between windowed and fullscreen.
Sorry for my bad english - it's not my native language and I have difficulties with acquiring speaking/writing practice in my country. If I accidently insult you or say something wrong - I'm sorry, you can feel free to correct me.