Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "CitytheSurvivor" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jan 22nd 2017

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Tuesday, June 19th 2018, 2:15am

How to calculate recoil/spread reset time?

How do I calculate how long it takes for a bf4 gun's recoil to reset? I've been looking at the formula in the bf4 info stat page but i've been getting strange numbers. I also can't find any spread reset formula. Also, is there any way to calculate the chance of hitting someone with a certain gun at a certain range? I've seen some youtubers do it but many of them don't show their math. :/
Positioning, aim, and gamesense aren't the only skills for fps games. Choosing the best gun and attachments for one's role is a skill, too.

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,883)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 17

Tuesday, June 19th 2018, 4:24pm

All the required formulas are on the general info pages. For spread reset this is roughly \( \frac{ \text{amount of spread} }{ \text{spread decrease} } \) in seconds (roughly, because of the game logic running at discrete steps). Same for recoil decrease is more complicated because the amount of decrease changes from tick to tick.

As for accuracy: Youtubers could be using hitrater software of sorts but I can not say for sure. On Symthic site you check accuracy plots against crude silhouette and get an rough idea from there.

If my memory serves me well, some of the more analytical people have been doing similar here on the forums (e.g. check Veritable's work, link in my signature).
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • InterimAegis - Weapon comparisons/scoring.
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • pmax - Statistical analysis of BF4 players/games.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, June 19th 2018, 10:29pm

What I meant was I'm screwing up the math and need some verification.

Let's say I fire a bf4 .44 magnum shot. The spread gained is 0.3 and the spread decrease is 15/s. So it should take 0.3/15 = 0.02 seconds to fully reset spread?

As for recoil decrease, I might be doing the formula right, but would it take 4 * 1 (1 because semi auto) * 1 (1 second of waiting) = 4 degrees of recoil decrease in the first second? That would mean that the magnum would fully reset in roughly 0.71 seconds: 2/(4 * 1 * 0.71) = 1. But when using the 3x magnum scope, there appears to be some wobble for more than a second. Is this an animation thing or is my math wrong?
Positioning, aim, and gamesense aren't the only skills for fps games. Choosing the best gun and attachments for one's role is a skill, too.

Mofixil

Sometimes I just get blinded by hate. And tears.

(377)

Date of registration
: Jul 27th 2013

Reputation modifier: 9

Tuesday, June 19th 2018, 11:58pm

Let's say I fire a bf4 .44 magnum shot. The spread gained is 0.3 and the spread decrease is 15/s. So it should take 0.3/15 = 0.02 seconds to fully reset spread?

In an environment of an infinitely small timestep, yes, but you are often confined to 30 or 60Hz environment, which would likely turn it into 33ms instead.

Is this an animation thing or is my math wrong?

Take note exclusively of the camera movement and where the centre of the screen is, bullets are still shot from the camera AFAIK.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, June 20th 2018, 12:22am

In an environment of an infinitely small timestep, yes, but you are often confined to 30 or 60Hz environment, which would likely turn it into 33ms instead.

Is this an animation thing or is my math wrong?

Take note exclusively of the camera movement and where the centre of the screen is, bullets are still shot from the camera AFAIK.

So this means that my math for spread and r-dec is ok, as long as I round up to account for tickrate (1000ms/hz)? If that's correct, then thanks a lot for your and miffyli's clarification! :)