Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "YOGSTRY" started this thread

Date of registration
: Feb 13th 2016

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Wednesday, February 1st 2017, 4:57am

How to survive when out numbered?

I know this is the BF1 section but my question is applicable in general and this is where the most people are I suppose. I just played a game of team death match on Golmud Railway in BF4. I have noticed that when one team has many more players than the other, the bigger team wins.

To describe the match: I noticed that there were a greater amount of snipers than normal and the rest were using high RPM guns. An enemy was using a MAV to spot, though I do not consider this a "generalizable" detail. The score was about 20 to 60 kills for a while then two more people joined my team and our score began to increase much faster to where the final was 73 to 100. For a while our team was running around without much direction. Towards the end we began to dig in to a defensive location and I noticed this helped considerably. I was running support with the PKP Pecheneg in a personal quest to unlock all attachments for all guns. I understand this gun is not the most viable weapon for this situation, although the large magazine did help.

I did not think that being greatly outnumbered would make a difference because the enemy has less players to kill, and the player skill is still average so the game would just take longer. This is clearly not the case in practice.

I have taken Marbleduck's teaching on scrubs and playing to win somewhat seriously and I speculate that not withdrawing from the match may not be playing to win due to stacked odds. I am uncertain about this so I will consider it included in my following question.

Why does a highly outnumbered team do poorly in a team death match game and what is the best way to do well in this situation?

Also a thanks to Marbleduck: listening to your ideas and videos caused be to move past a KD of 1 for the first time in my life. It is now 3 or 4.

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,529)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Wednesday, February 1st 2017, 5:05am

Playing to win does not mean picking matches where you are going to win and leaving matches where you won't.

Playing to win means that you make your best effort to win.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

yugas42

(1,359)

Date of registration
: Sep 1st 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Wednesday, February 1st 2017, 5:27am

If you are going to acknowledge that you have placed your thread in the wrong section of the forums, please just take the time to put it in the right section in the first place, thanks.

Date of registration
: Dec 2nd 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Wednesday, February 1st 2017, 5:27am

A combination of teamwork (or rather, good squad work), decent squad balance (Medics especially), and utilizing terrains and positions to your advantage go a long way to fighting against stacked odds. That, and being good in general

One thing I intensely disliked in BF4's TDM changes was removing access to the roof. It removed the dynamic of controlling the important areas of the map, and much more of a twitchy-based arena shooter where everybody is Assault

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Wednesday, February 1st 2017, 6:51am

Teams with meaningful numerical superiority tend to win because they can stack more x vs 1 situations, and have better odds of coming at the enemy from a surprisingly angle, catching them on the reload, etc.

On conq it matters less, since what determines the match is the number of people playing the flags and generally being useful. You can win 5 men down easily if the enemy has 5 guys more who are just sniping from the uncap, hiding between flags, backcamping with a vehicle, etc.

So what matters there is local numerical superiority.

• "YOGSTRY" started this thread

Date of registration
: Feb 13th 2016

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Thursday, February 2nd 2017, 3:52am

@NoctyrneSAGA thanks for the clarification.

@yugas42 sorry about that, I was trying not to beat a dead horse and also did not think anyone would see the post here.

@Ritobasu you reminded me that I speculated that an outnumbered team has a smaller chance of having effective players in it, therefore increasing the chances of loosing.

Teams with meaningful numerical superiority tend to win because they can stack more x vs 1 situations, and have better odds of coming at the enemy from a surprisingly angle, catching them on the reload, etc.

On conq it matters less, since what determines the match is the number of people playing the flags and generally being useful. You can win 5 men down easily if the enemy has 5 guys more who are just sniping from the uncap, hiding between flags, backcamping with a vehicle, etc.

So what matters there is local numerical superiority.
This is what I was looking for. I would like to add that in conquest the same still applies while capping flags. If my team is greatly outnumbered and I try and take a flag I will sometimes be overrun, though I still agree that a win can be had with 5 men down or so.

Date of registration
: Dec 14th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Thursday, February 9th 2017, 10:54pm

Just like to add that smoke grenades help when you're outnumbered in a tactical situation.

Are there smoke grenades in BF1?