Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "pTowel" started this thread

Date of registration
: May 16th 2012

Platform: PC

Reputation modifier: 7

Thursday, June 23rd 2016, 5:32pm

Passive Radar on the MAA - how to use them and why are they better than active radar?

Let's say I'm facing off against a fairly competent AJ or AH. How would I use them effectively and why would I use them over active radar?

Active radar is useful for popping off their ECM and/or forcing them to flee and I use it pretty much solely for that purpose. Whereas with PR I would take longer to do that where I could just instantly fire off ARMs and engage with guns immediately.

Range is not usually an issue because the MAA can usually find cover to defeat any range advantages. On Golmud, the train tracks and F flag are reliable pieces of cover, the houses on A, B and G less so but still usable in a pinch. On Hainan, B and D flag both offer significant hard cover, with A and E having the somewhat unreliable cover. The AH has no range advantage in Dawnbreaker and cover is plentiful. Dish is serviceable and there's E flag if you're on the bad side on Rogue. Only on Paracel do I feel completely exposed in the AA.

I tried PRs but I just could not see them filling a role I could find useful since the target would instantly flare them off as soon as I acquired lock. Sure they could flare off ARMs but ARMs are much faster to use so to me they seem superior as countermeasure wasters.

My playstyle when faced with a stalemate against competent AH or AJ is to simply hide in cover and bide my time then attack when they necessarily have to focus on other targets so that may be why I find the speedier nature of ARMs to be better than PRs but I'm interested to see if there are stronger alternate playstyles with the PRs that let me engage in AA roles better.

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,529)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Thursday, June 23rd 2016, 6:10pm

You pre-fire the PRMs in the direction the aircraft will be and time the lock so that it is achieved the very moment the missiles get close to the aircraft.

Unless the aircraft knows what's happening and fires off their CMs to break lock, they're going to get hit.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Date of registration

Thursday, June 23rd 2016, 6:49pm

You pre-fire the PRMs in the direction the aircraft will be and time the lock so that it is achieved the very moment the missiles get close to the aircraft.

Unless the aircraft knows what's happening and fires off their CMs to break lock, they're going to get hit.

How are they going to hit when they have ample warning that a lock is happening? As far as I can tell PRMs have a lockon time just like heatseekers do. The targets simply ECM as soon as the lock warning beeps. Once you've used PRMs on them once, they know you're using them so it's a simple matter of breaking locks before you can acquire them. It becomes nothing but a one-trick pony.

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,529)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Thursday, June 23rd 2016, 8:02pm

How are they going to hit when they have ample warning that a lock is happening? As far as I can tell PRMs have a lockon time just like heatseekers do. The targets simply ECM as soon as the lock warning beeps. Once you've used PRMs on them once, they know you're using them so it's a simple matter of breaking locks before you can acquire them. It becomes nothing but a one-trick pony.

Then they are actually using their CMs properly against PRMs. Kudos to them.

PRMs don't need lock to do damage. Part of pre-firing where they will be is that you might actually hit them unguided.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Friday, June 24th 2016, 7:30am

Let's say I'm facing off against a fairly competent AJ or AH.

They will laugh at your lockons while they destroy you. Use the cannon.

Date of registration

Friday, June 24th 2016, 6:38pm

Then they are actually using their CMs properly against PRMs. Kudos to them.

PRMs don't need lock to do damage. Part of pre-firing where they will be is that you might actually hit them unguided.

Well, see if ARMs and PRMs are going to do the same thing in the end - which is to pop ECM, why should I use PRMs then? It's much faster to use ARMs and swap to guns.

What's the spread of the missile launcher?

Let's say I'm facing off against a fairly competent AJ or AH.

They will laugh at your lockons while they destroy you. Use the cannon.

Missiles are used to force them to retreat.

Friday, June 24th 2016, 11:22pm

They won't work. The will not force them to retreat.

They will force them to complain about that annoying beeping sound. They will force them to consider killing you first. They will force them to use countermeasures as they kill you in a single pass with free-fire weapons. They will force them to call you a lockon scrub as they enjoy looking at your name in the middle of their screen.

Source: About 40000 air vehicle kills.

L2aim is the answer to your woes.