Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "BrawlerAce" started this thread

Date of registration
: Oct 8th 2015

Platform: PC

Reputation modifier: 2

Tuesday, June 7th 2016, 3:56am

Lasing air vehicles - how exactly does it work?

I hope this isn't some obvious question, but it's baffled me for a while now. How exactly does the mechanic of lasing air vehicles work?

I've noticed that when flying a jet, if I get lased and an enemy locks on to the laser designation with say, a LAW or SRAW, I get taken out in one hit regardless of CM. I know that LD rockets destroy jets in 1 hit, but why don't counter measures break the locks of laser-designated rockets? Is this intentional? And is there a way to deal with the threat without ejecting, or am I screwed?

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,460)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 16

Tuesday, June 7th 2016, 9:45am

Must say I have been wondering this very same thing every now and then (ie. when I got OHKd by similar attack)

My experiences with lasers+missiles is pretty much the same you said: CMs don't seem to work nearly as well against lased incoming missiles vs. other lock-on missiles. Only way to effectively counter them is to use CM while you're getting locked on (which many pilots seem to do with ECM) to avoid getting lased altogether.

But would like somebody who knows about this reply here.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Tuesday, June 7th 2016, 4:08pm

That's a bug that was introduced with the last patch.

Date of registration
: Dec 26th 2015

Reputation modifier: 3

Thursday, June 9th 2016, 8:01am

The whole lasing a jet is a little confusing, and it varies quite a bit. (I used to do this a lot with my platoon, so I actually have experience here!)

The first thing you should know that is if you're lased and a missile has been fired, whoever it was that started lasing you can stop and find cover. The recon wont get the full points for assisting the kill, but they can do it. No matter what, the missile acts as if it's still lased and it increases the impact damage.

Secondly, the missiles seem to have no maximum range. My platoon tested this with a member flying overhead at full afterburners. We got a temporary lock-on with a soflam, then someone else fired a javelin as soon as it locked on. The engineer locked on at 450-500m and launched immediately. The missile flew for quite a bit of time, and still was able OHK the stealth jet.

As for countermeasures, I've seen that ECM works marginally better at breaking the lased missiles lock than flares.
Depending on when the missile was fired in regards to the lasing time, you could be screwed either way.

When your anti-vehicle squad works like an anti-vehicle squad, you can take down any vehicle. (AC-130 & China Rising Bomber included!)

NOTE: I forgot to mention that using the Recon's SUAV to lock onto things is slightly better at evading the flares fired from a chopper or jet.
I love the math behind the statistics
It's possible to find me online at almost any given time, due to the fact that my schedule is hectic and rather non-existent.

Who needs sleep anyways?
(PC/PS4 gamer)

Various bf4 spreadsheets: (nothing special, just raw data from the Symthic website put into a spreadsheet to analyze all values at once)

Spoiler Spoiler

General Weapon spreadsheet:
BF4_Weapons_enhanced_UPDATED_2016
Soldier Equipment:
BF4_Gadget_Damage
Interactive Damage Table
bf4_dmg_at_range - Google Sheets
Unsuppressed Sniper Rifle Bullet Drop Charts
bf4_sniper_guide
Suppressed Sniper Rifle Bullet Drop Charts
Suppressed bf4_sniper_guide
More user friendly Unsuppressed Sniper Rifle Bullet Drop Chart
Friendlier Sniper rifle Bullet Drop Chart
More user friendly Suppressed Sniper Rifle Bullet Drop Chart
Friendlier Suppressed Sniper Rifle Bullet Drop Chart

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "lope_a_dope" (Jun 9th 2016, 8:44am)

Date of registration
: Nov 17th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Tuesday, June 21st 2016, 5:47am

Yep essentially this. Before that patch laser guided missiles would not hit air vehicles moving at even a modest speed.

In my (reasonably vast) post-patch experience in jets, if the laser guided missile is fired, you are boned. Flares and ECM are equally useless against it.

There's plenty of aerially-challenged people on the ground who will insist that it was a fix, rather than a bug, and will spam the shit out of it (tank guided shell + gunner soflam is especially bad for this).

It kind of sucks, but the best solution is to fly more conservatively. Staying high above the source of the lock most of the time is a good start, you're generally relatively safe there. Start instantly CMing any lock attempt that feels like a laser lock (they usually take longer I think). ECM is probably best for that, as you can't be locked for a longer period. Do not return to the area without CMs. You can pepper the lock source a bit from above and maybe kill it, keep an eye on your map and ensure that you support any attack on it (they're usually camped right at the back, so it might be a bit hopeful).

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,133)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Tuesday, June 21st 2016, 8:49pm

I had, two months ago, gotten kills with the LAW on Scout Helis retreating at full speed that were lased. I also recall that their CMs did not work both thimes (naturally), I can not recall however when they popped, but I am pretty sure one was ECM and one flares.

Date of registration
: Dec 14th 2014

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Tuesday, June 21st 2016, 9:45pm

So, there's a reason to use the Binoculars as a recon now?

Hmm, I know I can laser designate with the SUAV, but does this work with MAV too?

Never tried this thing as I am often very combat focused.
still playin' Motorstorm

Date of registration
: Dec 26th 2015

Reputation modifier: 3

Friday, June 24th 2016, 5:55am

The Mav does not have laser designation abilities.

The binoculars probably have more use than the SUAV due to never needing to reload, but they also help whoever you're locking onto find you. The great thing about the SUAV is that it flies, and is a small target. On the other hand, you can get roadkills with the SUAV.
I love the math behind the statistics
It's possible to find me online at almost any given time, due to the fact that my schedule is hectic and rather non-existent.

Who needs sleep anyways?
(PC/PS4 gamer)

Various bf4 spreadsheets: (nothing special, just raw data from the Symthic website put into a spreadsheet to analyze all values at once)

Spoiler Spoiler

General Weapon spreadsheet:
BF4_Weapons_enhanced_UPDATED_2016
Soldier Equipment:
BF4_Gadget_Damage
Interactive Damage Table
bf4_dmg_at_range - Google Sheets
Unsuppressed Sniper Rifle Bullet Drop Charts
bf4_sniper_guide
Suppressed Sniper Rifle Bullet Drop Charts
Suppressed bf4_sniper_guide
More user friendly Unsuppressed Sniper Rifle Bullet Drop Chart