Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Veritable" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 8th 2013

Platform: PC

Reputation modifier: 13

Tuesday, May 31st 2016, 10:37pm

Framerate or Eye Candy?

This is stemming from my post here in the Computer Thread over in Off-Topic: Computer thread

Although technically it is a general gaming computer question, I'm interested in hearing from our subset of PC BF4 players:

1. Do you strive for the highest framerate when playing, and thus the input response that entails, or...
  2. ...do you strive for the highest graphical fidelity, and thus the clarity that brings you?

Pro for #1 is the response, having your inputs (most specifically mouse input) matching closely to what you see on screen. With less "hiccups" you will also be able to (mentally) shrug off suppression and close-miss explosions easier.

Pro for #2 is the clarity, for example being able to display a bigger mini-map to give you better situational awareness. Better graphical fidelity also gives you more immersion and you'd probably feel better playing in it.

I'm torn, so I'm interested in hearing where you stand.

Symthic Developer

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 16

Tuesday, May 31st 2016, 11:04pm

Been always aiming for at least steady 60fps and now even more after upgrade to 144hz monitor. I rather play with more responsive input.
Also in some games, reducing graphics reduces the amount of obstructions and other things-that-could-hinder-your-sight. Eg. in some games reducing shadow quality actually removes bunch of them, and in some drawing distance removes bunch of obstacles at longer range (Like in The Culling where game doesn't render hills :>)

However I must admit I envy people who can play at ultra graphics and whatnot. From what I have seen in youtube videos at times I have amazed that games could actually look that good. Probably going to tune more to higher quality when I upgrade to next GPU.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration
: Jun 29th 2013

Reputation modifier: 5

Tuesday, May 31st 2016, 11:37pm

I speak with actual experience living with both setups (not trying in a store) on both ends. I have "gone 144hz" (even with g-sync) and gone back.

I'll take graphics and resolution for immersion over speed every time. (since we can't really have both with the selection we have now)

Yes, 144hz 16:9 is super fast and fluid, but I just could NOT get used to plaything through a tiny window again.

For me, the small 2560x1440 resolution balanced out the "fluid" 144hz response time compared to surround, 21:9, or 4K resolutions. I'm constantly twitching my view/mouse this way and that just to get a view of my surroundings with those small resolutions, where as with anything 3440 or more in horizontal resolution I can take in the view naturally. It's not just immersion for immersion sake, it's about how you take in your surroundings. It's like trying to view the area with a regular camera vs one setup in panoramic mode.

also add to the fact that BF4 isn't exactly perfectly built around those last milliseconds of reaction time with 144hz, it is simply far more enjoyable to me to play at a large resolution with graphics details turned up.

*not trying to brag, but providing grounds that I'm still a competent and competitive player that PTFO's
Progression - Exyiaevox - Battlelog
/ Battlefield 4

4K 60hz is more than fluid enough for me to play BF4. Followed by 3440x1440, then 1080p surround. A single screen with 144hz was my LEAST favorite way to play BF4

Smoked Salmon Best Salmon

Date of registration
: Dec 25th 2012

Reputation modifier: 12

Wednesday, June 1st 2016, 12:25am

Shit, what's wrong with you guys? I actually get severe motion sickness when viewing 3D stuff at 50FPS and below. Sure, eye candy is nice, but I'd much rather not be vomiting after fifteen minutes.

Plus, my performance increased significantly when I got a 111Hz monitor, and I hope it will again when I get the FS2735.

Platoon Marble Duck

Hate Mail

"you obviously don't know what an argument is as there is only one person battling. Do you really fucking think I want subs? You think you can act all big and powerful just because you sit on a computer at least 6 hours a day like the probably nerdy unwanted retard you are with 4.3k subs? You think 4.3k subs is a lot? LOL you need medicine man. I don't want any subs as i just have a google account for other media and writing comments. Think twice before you act. You even said in your video you aren't that great of a player, and the comments agree you aren't. Maybe you should once again think twice before you act, stop being such an annoying, ignorant bastard that everyone wants to shut up, and god, literally, just shut up. Your voice gave me a headache :s"

"As a youtuber shouldn't be trying to be reeling in your viewers with exciting stuff being said not your boring ass commentary for your video"

"The more you watch his vid the dumber he gets I swear he's borderline autistic look I got shot behind cover beacuase thin sheets metal are unpenetrable. Bf4 is just as quiet and tactical as bf3 random explosion in the background . Player has dissconected from chat
You started playing bf3 and never touched bfc1/2. Please do yourself a favor and shutdown your generic cod channel down"

"Nice clickb8 Faggot w8ting for your shit tier video to disable comments . Fucking newfag cancer go play some cod you activisiom cock faggot"

"I don't see why he [MarbleDuck] always tries to shit on levelcap he is better and has a million more subs...and also "there isnt a best gun in she game there are guns that are better that others at different engagement distances" yes thats true and whichever is the best/most average at all of them is the "best gun""

"Marbleduck you don't know shit lol levelcap knows more than you do you cant talk about how someone puts up garbage when you do yourself your a newcomer to YouTube acting like you know shit step up in the food chain first then you have the right to talk otherwise your just a fish trying to compete with sharks"

"Why don't we just witness "LevelCap vs MarbleDuck" One on One both on Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 seen as there is so much Controversy about the Two Youtubers"

"stfu cunt, BF3 was way better end of discussion"

"Stfu man, you're be littleing the most looked upon Battlefield Youtuber. No one cares about you, how much of an ego you have, or quite frankly your opinion. It's a fucking game.... Does it really fucking matter? Pathetic man."

"fuck you asshole, dont talk shit about total"

"Wtf is your problem? You have no subs and he has millions, yet you pick on him like some kind of stubborn, ignorant, rude child born with a silver spoon is his mouth. It's easy to do that, for example... You said there was no background noise yet there is. You say you're a fairly good player, you're not."

"please talk like a normal person and not like a professional"

• "Veritable" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 8th 2013

Reputation modifier: 13

Wednesday, June 1st 2016, 1:17am

Plus, my performance increased significantly when I got a 111Hz monitor

I haven't voted yet, but as I mentioned anecdotally in the Computer Thread, my weapon accuracy jumped up by ~10% if I'm able to play at 90FPS+.

I'm interested in your thoughts with regards to resolution, though. Technically only FoV dictates how much you can see, not resolution. So, my 90FOV setting (Ver according to BF4) should show me the same thing scene whether I'm using 1080p or 1440p or 2160p; there should be no advantage there. This might be more of a reply to Exyia.

I do find that having more pixels on screen mean sharper images obviously, and a side effect to that is that the aiming points (the Dot on the Red Dot Sight for example) is sharper. Another side effect is that you have more screen real estate to use the 2x-sized Mini-Map which you advocate. I find that with the same UI settings, in 1080p things get a bit unwieldy. Not sure what your thoughts on that is.

BTW ran into you on TBG *waves* Battle Report - Battlelog
/ Battlefield 4

Date of registration
: Jun 29th 2013

Wednesday, June 1st 2016, 2:00am

on a 40" 4K, I max out (yes completely max out, 120? is it? something pretty high) BF4's FOV and for once, it looks 100% natural. It wasn't until I went up to this size that the whole viewing experience felt "natural" (28" 4K still felt like 1440p because of it's physical size)

it's just hard to describe. I guess you could boil it down to "you're just seeing more at once", but it translates in being able to process surroundings better and more naturally.

for instance - 90 horizontal FOV here

This bothers me. It made me sick just taking this screenshot. This just feels so queezy and unnatural.

Compared to this

Yes, my focus point is enlarged at lower FOV, but it doesn't actually help me process my surroundings any better. While things might be smaller with higher FOV's, I actually get a sense of awareness in my space. I'm not walking through a doorway, I'm walking where the two walls to my side end in an opening.

If there's audio to my left or right, it synchronizes with what I'm processing visually around me. There is no "oh god footsteps what's that?....oh it's a teammate" as you twitch your mouse bits of direction left and right. It's just really jarring for me to have a soundstage that envelopes me, but a visual "window" that I'm peeping through.

again, hard to explain really. A lot of people will probably just see this as "you see more on your screen, I could do that too"

Date of registration
: Jun 23rd 2014

Wednesday, June 1st 2016, 2:32am

For me, graphics are king. I just like the feeling of maxing out all of the graphical settings; there something satisfying about pushing every slider or menu option to the max. Also, to me, good graphics are synonymous with PC gaming; if I couldn't get good graphics, I might as well just use a console and get a XIM. I was quite disappointed when my GTX 980 couldn't max out texture quality in Rise of the Tomb Raider due to only having 4 GB of VRAM.

At the same time, I have a 144 Hz 1080p gaming monitor, so I also appreciate high framerates. My approach depends on the type of game; for a multiplayer shooter, I want 100+ FPS, so I will set all settings to the maximum, then cut down until I find that performance level. The first thing to go is anti-aliasing: in BF4, I use no MSAA, low FXAA, and 120% resolution scale to offset the lack of AA. Then, I go after settings that cause dips in performance. In BF4, that means I put Effects Quality at High instead of Ultra because Ultra incurs a massive performance cost on effects-heavy scenes (especially when using APS). Everything else I can run at Ultra and I'm fine with that. FPS almost never goes below 100.

For single-player games or games where I prioritize graphics, then I max out the graphics (except for AA on occasion) and take whatever performance level I get so long as it's above 30 fps. I played Assassin's Creed Unity at max graphics at between 28 and 40 fps, and I made it out fine. The game looked great!

Moon Knight

I didn't participate in off topic so all I got was this crappy title

Date of registration
: Apr 6th 2012

Reputation modifier: 9

Wednesday, June 1st 2016, 4:24am

I chose eye candy. I'm just a scrub with a 60 hz monitor, so I aim for 55+ fps at all times, settings the graphics as high as possible.

Spoiler Spoiler

Will it protect against STD's?

I'm a fan of the show, but not a "Brony". I don't obsess over it, but I do watch it and enjoy it.

That's like saying "I suck dick, but I'm not gay."

Fuck dubstep

Date of registration
: Feb 25th 2012

Reputation modifier: 19

Wednesday, June 1st 2016, 7:56am

too few answers, i generally use a middle of the road choice, as in, medium settings for effects and lighting, minimal antialiasing setting(not 0, usually a level of FXAA) , maxed out(or close to) textures and everything else on minimum, this usually gives me 55-80 fps on games like bf4 or rainbow 6.
"I'm just a loot whore."

stuff mostly unrelated to BF4 that interests nobody

on 13/05/2016
23rd M320FB user on pc(13/05/16)
rush mode score RANK:2794 TOP:2% OUT OF:215398
obliteration mode scoreRANK:994 TOP:1% OUT OF:159466
handgun medals RANK:2236 TOP:2% OUT OF:143874
longest headshot RANK:9512 TOP:4% OUT OF:257589
recon score RANK:10871 TOP:4% OUT OF:274899
general score per minute RANK:10016 TOP:4% OUT OF:294774

31/3/2012 4:58:

Headshot distance RANK:493* TOP:0%
Revives per assault minute RANK: 6019 TOP: 3%
Headshots / kill percentage RANK:25947 TOP:13%
MVP ribbons RANK:18824 TOP:11%

*= 6 if we not count the EOD BOT headshots

link to full-size old avatar:

Date of registration
: Aug 1st 2015

Reputation modifier: 2

Wednesday, June 1st 2016, 8:13am

+100 fps or bust.

My settings are actualy on high with my 980 ti, because that gives ( somehow ) better FPS than medium which i used when i had my 980. Mesh quality is still ultra tho, since i rember hearing somewhere that it was a good idea.