Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "Recon1337" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jan 11th 2014

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Saturday, January 16th 2016, 5:27pm

Admins losing their kick/ban privilidges for abusage

Not sure if symthic has ever had this topic before but since I have yet to see one here I'll go and start one. Do you think admins should lose their privileges to ban/kick players? I think so and the reason why is because................in most situations, you'll get kicked/ban for stupid things. I can see if you were glitching, cheating or doing something to disrupt the game flow, but in most cases where people are banned its from simply playing the game normally. Using a shotgun and killing an admin gets you kicked/banned, yet its perfectly OK if his friends are using shotguns sitting up high on a roof with frags. Without going off on a tangent here, to sum it up my issue is that admins are abusing this privileges for the WRONG reasons as opposed to the right ones. DICE seems to listen to people who complain about shit so perhaps they can listen to this one too? Opinions?

^Just so everyone is clear, I'm only talking about the bad admins which, unfortunately, seems to overrun this game. One might can argue that you should go play on another server rather than worry your head off about stuff like this, but then that gets into more complicated matters as your being excluded from certain areas in a game YOU paid money for all because some 12 year older is being butthurt over getting killed fair and square.

Darktan13

Unhappy Camper

(4,678)

Date of registration
: Feb 13th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Saturday, January 16th 2016, 6:10pm

They paid for the server, they can use the admin tools as they see fit.

Quoted from "J0hn-Stuart-Mill"

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,661)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 17

Saturday, January 16th 2016, 6:14pm

On the same line with Darktan. If ones buying servers wouldn't have powers over what they run, then nobody would buy servers.
If the server is bad, then just don't play on it. Luckily BF is popular enough to have various servers, starting from official/vanilla and extending all the way to one-map grinders.

No wonder they decided to go with only-matchmaking way with Battlefront...
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,796)

Date of registration
: Dec 16th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Saturday, January 16th 2016, 6:41pm

There are terms of use for server owners, they should invoke those rights once in a while...

Quoted

(14:06:57) Riesig: I should stop now. People might get sig material again

yugas42

(1,387)

Date of registration
: Sep 1st 2012

Battlelog:

Saturday, January 16th 2016, 8:43pm

Those terms of use basically say that the server owner can administrate their server however they see fit. This kind of thing works because there are still official DICE servers, nobody is forced to play on a privately owned server. This same issue came up in Battlefield 3 and DICE has said time and again that abusive admins don't break the ToS because they're within their right to enforce their rules.

ViperFTW

Suidae cathexis

(2,737)

Date of registration
: Jul 1st 2012

Battlelog:

Saturday, January 16th 2016, 8:57pm

You err...You like polls, don't you OP?

Anyways, I agree (with mild annoyance) with most of the people here: Revoking admin privileges isn't a good idea. For starters, it is there server and, as Yugas said, they can pretty much do what they like since they paid for it. Another reason that comes to mind is that I can't think of a viable system for when/why an admin should lose their privilege, especially with the aforementioned ToS and other such vaguely-legal things.
Further more: If an admin really is bad enough to abuse his privileges then the community already has a pretty nifty way of punishing them: Boycott the fucking server :D

In fact, this very site used to have a pretty great list of servers that had either shit admins or shit plugins. Unfortunately I think if fell out of use shortly after BF4 came out.
I personally have perhaps 50% of all known servers on my BBLog blacklist because of the aforementioned plugins and admins who dwell within the shitty end of the spectrum...And you can ask the likes of Riz-Riz and Nik-Nik that I stick to those guns pretty fucking fiercely :D

Everybody's Favourite Worthless Support and LMG Fan! :thumbsup:

Song currently stuck in my head is: Red Cold River by Breaking Benjamin!

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Saturday, January 16th 2016, 9:31pm

There are weird side cases in which admins are allowed to run boosting servers (ie kick anyone who tries to kill, just flag run) but aside from stuff like that, kicking/banning is reasonable imo.
Emperor Nick of the Cult of Defibrillation
Sith Deity of Thread-Killing

I'm basically just a degenerate weeb who doesn't post much nowadays.

I'm secretly Old Man Symthic

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Words of Wisdom (not really)

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

You're fedorable :love:

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

I have the highest postcount. Nick doesn't count.

Quoted

23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm -
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Okay
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm stabbing everyone
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Bye guys
23:44 Nick: *flips table*
23:44 Legion: Bye, happy stabbing
23:44 *** Lt_Col_Jesus quit (Quit: off to murder the public at large).

Quoted

10:41 LB: You just...reanimated Steve Jobs.
10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

... fuck. Damn you hindsight!

Quoted

23:58 Failure117: CAUSE IM FREEE
23:58 Nick: AS A BIIIIRD NOW
23:58 Failure117: FREEE OF NICK'S WORM RAPE

Quoted

ViperFTW: HEY LOOK
ViperFTW: AN ALIEN LASER FISH THE SIZE OF THE SUN
ViperFTW: I WANT TO SWAT IT WITH MY COMICLY LARGE SWORD
ViperFTW: WITH
ViperFTW: THIS
ViperFTW: AS
ViperFTW: MY
ViperFTW: FUUUUCKING SOUNDTRACK :DDDD
(the album in question)

• "Recon1337" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jan 11th 2014

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Saturday, January 16th 2016, 10:22pm

Its reasonable to kick/ban players who are abusing situations, but the issue is that it rarely happens. The majority of the time players are minding their own business and get kicked/banned for using a gun that the admin feels butthurt about. Then theres other times such as using a gadget that gets you kicked/banned or even getting in a vehicle that some other idiot has been whoring it for himself the whole round. Sometimes its not even that, sometimes just repeatedly killing the admin gets you kicked and sometimes banned if you do it enough.

^How the hell am I (or anyone) supposed to dictate who it is that appears in front of my gun? If the admin just so happens to keep appearing in front of my gun, hes going to get shot. Otherwise if hes turns around hes going to shoot me. So what does this amount to? If I kill him I get kicked for it and if I dont he gets to kill me? THAT is just blatant abuse of power and happens quite often. Situations like these are more examples as to why I think admins should lose their privileges or have been horribly curbstomped when it comes to kicking/banning players as 90% of players play the game legitimately.

Then you have more examples where admins abuse their power such as conquest. Its okay for engineers on his team to use lock-on weapons to kill your teams choppers, but then kick you if your team starts using lockons to take out his teams chopper. Thats not only blatant abuse of power but favoritism AND cheating.

Perhaps its time DICE re-written their terms of service regarding admin privileges? It seems to be no point in having custom servers where people get kicked and banned for using anything that isnt an assault rifle/carbine. Or perhaps we should cave in to the crybabies and petition to DICE to remove everything in the game that annoys the admins and give them the ability to permaban anyone who kills them with any gun?

yugas42

(1,387)

Date of registration
: Sep 1st 2012

Battlelog:

Saturday, January 16th 2016, 10:49pm

You just said it in your post. They're custom servers. They're not official servers, which there are plenty of. As I said previously, nobody forces you to play on a custom or privately owned server, and while you may not agree with the way DICE allows people to run those servers, that's how it is. The issue comes up often, and they have not changed their stance on it in years, and likely will not change it. They have no reason to alienate the people who continue to spend money on their game even after purchase. It cuts down on the amount of customer service they have to do because they will tell you to go appeal your ban or kick to the server owners, not them. They have absolutely no reason to change how they handle custom servers, because it's free money. From a business standpoint that's a good thing for them.

Getting kicked from a server has happened to any half decent player, you just move to another server and keep playing. Better yet, you can play regularly on a server that isn't run by badmins and let them get to know you, maybe sign up on their community forums and talk a bit, it goes a long way in not being kicked, and may even get you on a preferred player list if you're lucky. There's a lot you can do to avoid being kicked, but that starts with avoiding servers that are well known for being shit.

ViperFTW

Suidae cathexis

(2,737)

Date of registration
: Jul 1st 2012

Battlelog:

Sunday, January 17th 2016, 1:00am

They're not official servers, which there are plenty of.

There are? Coulda fooled me :P

Everybody's Favourite Worthless Support and LMG Fan! :thumbsup:

Song currently stuck in my head is: Red Cold River by Breaking Benjamin!