Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Toats Mcgoats" started this thread

Date of registration
: Mar 11th 2013

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Tuesday, March 12th 2013, 9:12am

The M249 (Your Bread and Butter LMG)

M249 SAW (Squad Automatic Weapon)

It's everyone's favorite support weapon, rated top used support weapon across all platforms. Able to spray lead at over 800 rounds per minute, this Machine Gun still remains fairly controllable, able to adapt to many roles.
Accuracy through volume is the key for this gun. For this review, I will be comparing other weapons in the support category for reference.

History
The M249 SAW was adopted in 1984 into US military service to provide automatic squad level firepower. It's a 17pound light weight, magazine or belt fed, gas operated, shoulder fired, open bolt, air cooled weapon capable of firing 5.56x45mm rounds at over 800-1000 rpm. Max effective range is around 800m for a point target and 1000m for an area target. It has been in almost every US conflict since Panama all the way to the Iraq and Afghanistan campaigns.

Overview

The M249 benefits from having the highest rate of fire of all the LMGs in the support class. Bullet Velocity ranks at 3rd highest, right below the QBB-95 and M27 IAR. The Max Range is quite respectable as is the suppression rate, given the number of rounds this thing will spit out, suppressing the enemy merely by the volume of rounds.

Damage:
As you can see from the chart, the max damage is 25 at 8m, slowly dropping down to reach the minimum damage of 18 at 50m. Not the highest, especially compared to it's bigger brother, the M240B, but again the volume of fire can allow you to put more rounds on moving targets merely by the rate of fire.

Reloading and Ammo Capacity:
The M249 ranks fairly average though on reloading time for belt fed Machine Guns. Both the PKP and the LSAT reload faster than the M249, which makes the 'Extended Mag' attachment sometimes more useful. The stock ammo count for each drum is 100 rounds while with the Extended Mag, you get awarded an additional 100 rounds, making 200 rounds of suppression. Like all belt fed Machine Guns, it does not matter if you fire it and reload or fire until it is empty. The M249 takes the same time to reload both empty or +1 bullet on the feed tray.

Recoil and Spread:

The M249 is unique in that the Horizontal and Vertical recoil are all the same value. At 0.4, it makes for a consistent recoil pattern. The ADS and Hipfire spread runs consistent with your stance; standing being the worst and prone the best. It actually mirrors the M240 in this category until we get to the moving ADS, where the M249 is slightly better by 0.5. Even compared to the M27 IAR moving ADS spread, the M249 is
matches up perfectly with the M27 IAR.

I don't know why they made it like this, but the First Shot Multiplier is the highest of all the LMGs! So, even at short range, I would not advise to not go full auto at the hip unless you can literally touch them! Or use a laser sight if you are going to do that!

With the use of a 'Bipod' accessory, the recoil and spread get reduced dramatically. Here is a confusing comparison. The gr
een numbers are an M249 with a Bipod. The Orange one is an M249 without a Bipod.

Even the Horizontal and Vertical Recoil decrease with the Bipod. Again, Green is with the Bipod, Orange is without the Bipod.

As you can tell, your accuracy will go up and your spread will go down with the Bipod.

Utilization:
Like any belt fed Machine Gun, this thing dominates best at choke points and other high traffic areas. Just like real world tactics, it also shines when you have a clear field of fire that allows the enemy not much cover. For example, wide open fields (CQ Armored Kill), or clear streets/bridges(CQ Sienne Crossing.) In high traffic areas, it can also dominate with the support of the team. With the enemy concentrating on the up close Assault Men, you can sit back, Bipod it up, and just lay a wall of fire. It's what they nickname, 'A machine gunner's wet dream.' A perfect funnel of death that the enemy clusters into and cannot escape easily.

• Short Controlled Bursts: This is key when firing both with and without Bipods! Without Bipods, I would recommend 3-4 rounds at an enemy no more than 30m away. Anything closer, full auto should take care of the job. Remember, if the enemy gets away from your short range fire, don't hold the trigger. Wait for your sights to settle back down and then wait for the enemy to pop out again! With Bipods, you can increase the trigger time, shooting about 5-10 rounds at targets anywhere from 30m - 150m. At higher ranges, around 200+, I would recommend 2-3 round bursts. Bottom line though: Whatever works for you the best, use it. This is just my suggestion.
  • Pop down when reloading: Common sense applies. Seek cover when reloading. Especially if you capped a few guys and they know where you are. Snipers will want to get you like flies on poo. Even change up positions might work good, especially if snipers have you dialed in already. Many times I have got the drop on snipers who were too tunnel visioned on one window where I was just firing from.
  • Suppression: Suppression by the sheer rate of fire can sometimes allow your team to move up and flank and destroy the enemy. With the Bipod, you can also
    set up in windows, ledges, etc. even just for a few seconds to pop off a
    guy or two that happens to be sprinting out in the middle of nowhere.
  • Vantage Points: Like I mentioned above, a good vantage point is a one with cover, concealment, and a wide field of fire. Not always will this be available, but be scanning for these 3 things constantly. Their is a difference between cover and concealment. Cover is set up behind a 2 foot concrete wall that can absorb small arms fire. Concealment is essentially camoflauging with your surroundings. For example: A window with a dark interior or some shrubs in the way. If anything, I would prefer cover over concealment. We all know a brick wall will do way better than you lying in a bush hoping the enemy is not spamming the 'spot' button.

Setups:

Runnin & Gunnin: While, the moving ADS spread is better than both the PKP, M240, LSAT, and the M60, I would recommend putting on a laser sight to boost the Hip fire accuracy. That way for quick encounters, you can spray and let the whopping 800 rpm send the enemy to a quick death. Adding a Foregrip will add ADS mobile and ADS standing spread, so this one is up to you. You can choose to rely more on the laser or you can toss out the Foregrip and use the sights. The usual CQB sights work fine. It's up to you.

Bipod4eva:
My preferred setup, more for the tactical players. I use this with a Holographic sight for mid range engagements. Paired with the Bipod and the Flash Suppressor, this setup can allow you to lock down a area for awhile. It even can work on moving maps like Rush. You just have to learn how to bound from cover to cover, with your team covering the flanks. Flash Suppressor helps with the recoil and can allow you to put more rounds on target before your gun jumps off. Not recommended for CQB though. For long range engagements, I like to use the PKA 3.4, or the M145.

The Flash Suppressor helps strictly with the vertical recoil. Nothing else is affected.

Misc:

One thing I thought worth mentioning is the Iron Sights. I usually only use them on close range engagements with the Bipod. When the M249 is deployed without Aiming Down the Sights, the gun allows you to free aim along the Bipod swivel. This is ideal with Iron Sights, because other optics block the view of your crosshair in this mode. I usually use this mode at short range or when I need peripheral vision across a wide area. It also moves the crosshairs faster this way rather than moving them in ADS all the way across the screen.

Iron Sights 'Over the Top' view allows good peripheral vision.

A downside of using Iron Sights: The muzzle smoke from firing clouds up your sight picture so fast that you may have to use shorter bursts to even see what you are aiming at. Even with a Flash Suppressor, it will cloud it up. Be careful.
"Don't ask me, I just work here."

This post has been edited 4 times, last edit by "Toats Mcgoats" (Mar 12th 2013, 11:32am)

Date of registration
: Sep 19th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Thursday, March 21st 2013, 4:50am

I know it's blasphemy, but the 249 can be quite good with a RDS and silencer...

I don't know how the numbers really stack up, but I read somewhere that the 249 is the most "assault rifle" -like out of all the belt feds...i guess that means there is a slightly higher margin for error?

bboypaktailo

Ruining people's shows since 2014

(424)

Date of registration
: Dec 26th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Thursday, March 21st 2013, 5:48am

And I

Quoted

I know it's blasphemy, but the 249 can be quite good with a RDS and silencer...

Silencer works well on the gun. I prefer the iron sights though a Red Dot is probably better.

I'm only proud of my BF3 stats. I've barely played BF4.
I am a proud member of the Church of The One True Tohsaka. Our one and only Goddess!

Spoiler Spoiler

Starting the usual old members style of putting random quotes in signatures
You go up to a girl and say you're part of the most elite Battlefield 3 forum.
instasex.

This is Symthic: Game Science not Symthic : I felt it in my balls.

How to fix hitreg:
1. Go to server browser
2. Join 3rd world country server with 40000000 ping
3. Enjoy

Spoiler Spoiler

And.... I banged the fucking computer box yet again last night.... She had moved it a bit, but not to a better spot <.<

WAT. YOU BANGED IT?

All those open ports where just too much temptation for him...

Now this section is woowee special. This, is when DaRubester is drunk.
I think I should sacrifice part of my sigs just for when Rube is drunk.

DOOOIT MANG. ILL REP U NBRO

Currently playing: Dota 2, CS:GO
Playing on PS2 Emulator: Suikoden series

• "Toats Mcgoats" started this thread

Date of registration
: Mar 11th 2013

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Tuesday, March 26th 2013, 7:36am

I've seen it been used with Silencers as well. Sometimes they even beat me, even when I get the drop on them first. Just curious, but do you guys utilize Bipods with your setup? Or just go run and gun?
"Don't ask me, I just work here."

bboypaktailo

Ruining people's shows since 2014

(424)

Date of registration
: Dec 26th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Tuesday, March 26th 2013, 7:47am

Horizontal recoil doesn't really affect your CQ skill, so I use bipods. Foregrips are better for the box-fed/mag-fed LMG's and some Belt Feds.

I'm only proud of my BF3 stats. I've barely played BF4.
I am a proud member of the Church of The One True Tohsaka. Our one and only Goddess!

Spoiler Spoiler

Starting the usual old members style of putting random quotes in signatures
You go up to a girl and say you're part of the most elite Battlefield 3 forum.
instasex.

This is Symthic: Game Science not Symthic : I felt it in my balls.

How to fix hitreg:
1. Go to server browser
2. Join 3rd world country server with 40000000 ping
3. Enjoy

Spoiler Spoiler

And.... I banged the fucking computer box yet again last night.... She had moved it a bit, but not to a better spot <.<

WAT. YOU BANGED IT?

All those open ports where just too much temptation for him...

Now this section is woowee special. This, is when DaRubester is drunk.
I think I should sacrifice part of my sigs just for when Rube is drunk.

DOOOIT MANG. ILL REP U NBRO

Currently playing: Dota 2, CS:GO
Playing on PS2 Emulator: Suikoden series