Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

PhantomShado

I didn't participate in off topic so all I got was this crappy title

(279)

• "PhantomShado" started this thread

Date of registration
: Apr 6th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Wednesday, September 12th 2012, 8:13am

The Beast (an M240B review)

Do you want wield the manliest weapon in all of Battlefield like a pro? Look no further! You've come to the right place. :thumbup:

History

First and foremost, I shall briefly state real life facts about our beloved M240B.

The M240B utilizes the powerful 7.62x51mm NATO rounds. It was designed all the way back in the 1950s and was first produced in 1977. It is still being used to this day, due to it's reliability and overall combat effectiveness on the battlefield. It is manufactured by Fabrique Nationale. They are a large weapons manufacturing corperation originating from Belgium. If you are not already familiar with this name, they are the makers of the famous P90, F2000, and SCAR.

Stats

To avoid confusion, and save you the time of about 10 seconds, I shall post a picture of the current M240B stats.

It has by far the highest recoil in the game for an automatic weapon, making it difficult to control. It is also the fastest firing of the three GPMG's (PKP, M240B, M60). It will do it's full damage (34 dmg), at 8 meters. After that, the damage slowly declines all the way down to 22 damage, at 60+ meters. Note that at 10 meters, it has the quickest Time To Kill (TTK) in the game, making it a mid-ranged juggernaut. This weapon is effective up to distances of 915 meters, and has one of the fastest bullet speeds of 610 m/s. This makes it very effective at medium ranges, unlike other LMG's. It has terrible hipfire, and I would not recommend using it unless you're at point blank range.

In comparison with the PKP: The PKP is perfect for steady-fire use. By steady-fire, I mean firing nonstop in fully automatic with decent control. I use it with the bipod (of course), and extended mags for the ultimate suppression. It is a lot easier to control than the M240B, but isn't quite as lethal in terms of firepower (rate of fire). So the choice is really up to you. I use both, but mainly run with the M240B. So if you're more into the whole "run and gun" scene, or simply cannot control the M240B, you're probably gonna be better off with the PKP. However, once you learn how to properly control the M240B, you should be able to tear through PKP users with no trouble at all. In simpler terms:

Want versatility and decent recoil? Pick up a PKP and knock yourself out!

Would you rather sacrifice versatility and recoil for raw power? Grab hold of the M240B and blow their fucking heads off!

Now that we've gotten past the boring stats section, we'll now move on to attachments, along with general gameplay tips.

Attachments|Sidearm|Gadget

The bipod - This is by far your most useful attachment for this weapon. Why? Because for the most part, this weapon should be fired while the bipod is deployed. If you want to run and gun, use the M60 or another LMG. You could choose the foregrip, replacing the bipod, but I would strongly discourage doing that.

Suppressor - This attachment could potentially work great for those who enjoy camping. It lowers vertical recoil while keeping you off of radar. I personally would not recommend using it, due to it causing even worse hipfire and a lower drop-off start/end. It also cuts your precious muzzle velocity nearly in half, which is a no-no with this weapon.

Flash suppressor - My attachment of choice! It significantly lowers the recoil on one of the hardest guns to control, making it somewhat managable while not having your bipod deployed. I find it to be a must-have on console. I literally cannot control this weapon without it.

Extended mags - This is what I used to run with before they raised the recoil on this weapon. The more rounds, the merrier. Especially when it comes to machine guns! However, I do not find the trade-off between this and the flash suppressor to be worth it. Perhaps this is a more viable choice for those on PC.

Laser sight - In all honesty, I don't see this as an option whatsoever. It gives away your position, which is a very bad thing when your bipod is deployed. The hipfire on this weapon is not worth your time, and especially not worth a wasted attachment slot!

Foregrip - See: bipod.

Sight - I prefer the American HOLO sight above all others. It combines a small zoom capability with great outside vision, so you can see what's going on outside of the sight. This one is entirely up to you, though. Choose whichever sight suits your fancy.

Pistol of choice: M1911T. This weapon runs perfectly with the M240B, due to having the same damage. I like the tactical over the vanilla version or suppressed, because when pulling out my pistol, why wouldn't I want to blind my enemies?

Specialization: Flak Jacket. Why Flak? It's very useful for charging tanks with C4 or eating grenades while deployed!

Gadget: C4. Claymores are very glitchy and are not reliable. They also cannot damage vehicles like C4 can. Always run with C4, for maximum boom!

Quick Action Tips

- Always be the first to open fire. Always be aware of your surroundings, and try not to run right into a crossfire. If you're being shot at, and there is some nearby cover, run to the cover and do not bother turning around to return fire. With this weapon, you cannot hit jack shit while under suppression. Wait until you return to normal and mow that fucker down! And if there really isn't enough time for all of that, simply switch out to your pistol and hope for the best.
- Try to fire in bursts. You will learn one way or another, that this is the optimal way for hitting targets at medium to long distances.
- Aim for the head! This is a very powerful weapon and you will notice how much faster enemies will drop when aiming for the head.
- Attempt to find a decent vantage point for your bipod that does not provide an opening to be easily spotted/sniped/knifed. Windows will usually do the trick.
- It's okay to fire on the move; however, don't even bother if you're suppressed or aren't using your sights. Your best bet is to dive and deploy your bipod, run and find cover, or pull out your pistol (it really depends on the circumstances of the situation you're in).
- If your team has your back, feel free to deploy yourself in the middle of a firefight and rain 7.62x51mm of hell upon your enemies!

I am well aware this is rather short. I may or may not add more content. I would like to, but may not have the time or brainpower to do it. Hope you all got something out of this guide! :thumbup:

Spoiler Spoiler

Will it protect against STD's?

I'm a fan of the show, but not a "Brony". I don't obsess over it, but I do watch it and enjoy it.

That's like saying "I suck dick, but I'm not gay."

Fuck dubstep

This post has been edited 5 times, last edit by "PhantomShado" (Oct 3rd 2012, 7:27am)

Dice

50 Shades of Dice

(751)

Date of registration
: Dec 12th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Wednesday, September 12th 2012, 12:13pm

While short I like it and I will add it to the list. There is good info here. I am sure you can add more tho man, given a bit of time. Have a go and see what you can do.

PyaKura

Password Giver

(327)

Date of registration
: Apr 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Wednesday, September 12th 2012, 12:17pm

It has by far the highest recoil in the game for an automatic weapon, making it difficult to control

I disagree, G18, MK3A1 and USAS-12 have more V-recoil.

Otherwise, good job :)
Ded.

Date of registration
: Jun 27th 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Wednesday, September 12th 2012, 1:20pm

Any chance of a comparison between the PKP, M60 and this in real terms? (As in were one has the edge over another). I've used the M60 and PKP a fair bit, but never touched the 240B. A friend of mine swears by it however
I like the fact that my name implies I am a Scottish, Counter Strike loving, girl.

Not all of these are necessarily true

Date of registration
: May 30th 2012

Battlelog:

Wednesday, September 12th 2012, 1:31pm

It has by far the highest recoil in the game for an automatic weapon, making it difficult to control

I disagree, G18, MK3A1 and USAS-12 have more V-recoil.

Otherwise, good job :)

agreed statistically, but visually every shot fired whit m240 is a kick in the face, a slow, heavy kick in the face for every bullet that leaves the barrel. while the g18 is a fast one and you can simply drag down smoothly your mouse to compensate,and the mk3 and usas are more gentle,soft kicks.

ps: i would change the color of the "attachments|sidearm..." line from blue to something else, i had to select it to read it ;)
btw good suggestions and tips, keep up the work!

>>>My MTAR-21 Review<<<
My BF3stats.com
My Battlelog Profile
-Guns with 1 SS=82 [all except Igla and Stinger].
-Guns with 5 SS=62 [need to complete pistols(except 93r) and launchers(except m320,already did it)].
-Attachments Unlocked= everything for every weapon.

>>>PRESS IN DICE SITUATIONS<<<

Date of registration
: Dec 22nd 2011

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Wednesday, September 12th 2012, 2:18pm

I actually use this gun to run and gun with IMO having the highest Rpm out of the power house machine guns makes it perfect.

Date of registration
: Sep 12th 2012

Battlelog:

Wednesday, September 12th 2012, 2:48pm

Hi PhantomShado, Hi all!

Thats my first post here but I'm a long time lurker XD

The M240B is my weapon of choice (6000+ kills and belonging to the top 1% in kills per minute - cf. my stat with under the same nick),
so I believe that I am able to add some value to this thread.

What u say about the burst and the FlashSupressor is totaly right. To give some detail on top. Burst whenever your opponent is more than 20m away. If you are under 5-10m away from your enemy than Hipfire but don't move to much. And for me it is surprisingly well at the range around 80-100m with very short bursts moving from side to side against snipers.

I mostly play TDM on canals, kargh, and CQ maps. There the M240 is my run an gun weapon whenever I join a public server with more than 16vs16 players.
I've mounted the mentioned Flash-supressor and ... a foregrip. For me it's the best combo in meeting the enemy toe2toe and if my goal is support with supression than I do not need to hit, so its accurate enough without bipod and I'm able to follow my team. Even with exception on this support-duties with a cobra or reflex scope its configured like a AR and I use it like a assault.

Why using it?
For me the main feature is the mag-size in conjunction with the damage dealt where I'm able to kill 5-6 opponents without any reload troubles.
The major con is the challenge to control that Beast. You will need some time and practice to do so but have a chance to get highly awarded for your patience.

Thanks to all contribute to this site. :thumbup:

Haydn'

PhantomShado

(279)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, September 18th 2012, 6:56am

Any chance of a comparison between the PKP, M60 and this in real terms? (As in were one has the edge over another). I've used the M60 and PKP a fair bit, but never touched the 240B. A friend of mine swears by it however

In all honesty, I haven't touched the M60, so there isn't much I can say about it. The PKP is perfect for steady-fire use. By steady-fire, I mean firing nonstop in fully automatic with maximum control. I use it with the bipod (of course), and extended mags for the ultimate suppression. It is a lot easier to control than the M240B, but isn't quite as lethal in terms of firepower (rate of fire). So the choice is really up to you. I use both, but mainly run with the M240B.

And to everyone else: I appreciate the suggestions and will see what I can do! :thumbup:

Spoiler Spoiler

I'm a fan of the show, but not a "Brony". I don't obsess over it, but I do watch it and enjoy it.

Fuck dubstep

Date of registration
: Apr 27th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Thursday, September 20th 2012, 8:07pm

Exact same thing I said to Sao. I don't really understand this, because you're not describing the M240, you're describing and tell me about belt-fed LMGs. It is much more sensible and informative if you give all the info you've got right now but also add some comparisons with the other LMGs, because this M240 review doesn't tell me that the gun is any different from an M60 or a PKP - but they are different, aren't they? Well tell me about it!
Symthic?

PhantomShado

(279)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, October 3rd 2012, 7:18am

Updated with a brief comparison with the PKP, along with a few other random details added. Any further feedback will be noted and taken into account.

Spoiler Spoiler

Fuck dubstep