Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

ViperFTW

Suidae cathexis

(2,737)

• "ViperFTW" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jul 1st 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Thursday, October 25th 2012, 8:59pm

The M60E4 - A Guide to 'The Pig'.

Introduction - Getting to know your Pig...

The M60E4 is the most recent addition to the long running family of M60 Medium Machine Guns started in the Vietnam War. The in-game version comes with 580RPM rate of fire making it the second slowest-firing full auto weapon in all of Battlefield 3 (Just beaten by the G3A3), it has fairly mediocre accuracy, recoil and reload times with the higher damage indicative of the 7.62mm round it fires.

Looking at these stats I can fully understand why a few people would easily gloss over the M60, especially after unlocking both the PKP and M240B beforehand AND probably being well on their way to the DLC guns such as the L86A2 or QBB-95. Why should you even look twice at this large, clunky, ugly mass of a weapon when you have that PKP just calling out for the blood of your foes? Well hopefully I can win you over in this fairly massive wall of text, and if not I hope you'll atleast have a new-found appreciation for the M60...

In Depth Analysis - Why the Pig brings home the bacon...

One of the most important and vital aspects of the Support Class is in its name, Support. Your role in the battlefield should come down to a few essential points:
1) Suppression: Whereas kills are always a good thing to go for, the Support class excels at suppressing enemies. The suppression mechanic in Battlefield 3 is a great mechanic in team and tactical play and Support is the best class to utilize it to their advantage, laying down round after round after round and keeping the enemies where they should be. Cowering behind rocks in terror.
2) Defence/Lock-Down: As I'm sure many of you have realized a machine gun on a bipod is a helluva thing! Once you get your gun set up in a nice place you can easily keep massive numbers of enemies off your flag or path by spraying like a madman.
3) Ammo. Give out ammo boxes, really. Not related to the guide at all but still do it.

With this in mind we should look at the M60 again. Its got a low rate of fire, yes, but what does that mean in SUPPORT terms? Low rate of fire means you can fire for a long time, more so with extended mags, and that means you can suppress for longer and rake in the points in the process! "But Viper..." you might exclaim "...The PKP and M240B are BOTH really good at providing suppressive fire AND I can actually KILL bitches with them! Why should I touch this piece of shit?!", good question but I have a question for you. Do you like maths? I like maths.
Consider the PKP with a full, 100 round magazine. Its got a rate of fire of 600RPM which translates to 10 rounds per second (RPS). If its firing 10 RPS with a 100 round mag then that's its entire magazine gone in 10 seconds.
Now let's look at the M240B, again with a 100 round mag. It fires at 650RPM which is 10.83 RPS. So 10.83 divided by 100 = 9.23 seconds till its magazine is empty.
What about the M60? 580RPM translates to 9.67 RPS, 100 round magazine, so that means you can fire constantly for 10.34 seconds.
See what I'm getting it? No? Ok let me explain. That's 10.34 seconds of suppressive fire you can provide in one magazine. Now it may not seem like much when compared to the PKP above it, 0.34 isn't a lot of time but I'll ask you: How long would YOU prefer to be suppressed for? How long would you like to sit their being unable to hit or see shit for? Vulnerable and scared, unable to move for fear of a bullet-induced face piercing?

Since it seems we're not gonna be able to shake off the PKP let's keep it close for a while shall we? Let's look at something else, recoil.

PKP is on the left and M60 is on the right. As you can see the M60 has lower vertical recoil than the PKP but what's really astounding is the difference in horizontal recoil, that means that when you fire the M60 it will dance around less on the horizontal plane allowing for more accurate fire. What this allows you to do is control the recoil of the M60 a lot easier than the PKP as you don't need to keep constantly dragging the mouse back and forth to accommodate the horizontal kick meaning you can fire the M60 more accurately when firing normally. This means that despite the lower fire rate you can, with enough practice, land more shots on target than your foe with a PKP or M240B!

Attachments and Setups - Genetically Modified Pigs aren't a bad thing...

Despite having lower recoil and being able to provide more suppressive fire by default its with attachments where the M60 really shines. Those of you who completely ignored everything I said about 'Suppression' and 'Helping the team' might want to stay a while longer, just saying...

Bipod: The God of all Support attachments! With this on your Pig you can plonk yourself down in a nice cozy spot and spray suppress the fuck out of enemies for days...
Extended Mags: You know what would make the M60 EVEN BETTER? 100 more bullets! This is great for more defensive setups, if you can handle the M60's recoil pretty well or if you're feeling particularly like John Rambo...
Flash Suppressor: Those of you into your 'Run and gun' classes may be familiar with this little devil. The flash suppressor lowers the vertical recoil of your gun, something that's very useful with the M60 indeed. With the Flash Suppressor on your barrel your vertical recoil drops to 0.45 from 0.6 meaning, along with the already low horizontal recoil you can turn yourself into a beautiful hybrid of Support and Assault.
Laser Pointer: "A laser pointer? On an LMG? Viper! Are you completely insane?!" you may scream at the very thought of this but think about it for a second. What's the M60's base hip fire spread? 5.0. What about with the Laser beamz? 2.5. That's practically assault rifle level...On a gun with a 100 round magazine...That does 34 damage per hit at close range. Shockingly enough the Laser Pointer is a fairly good little attachment for those who like Close Quarters.
Suppressor: Suppressor is an interesting one, despite the fact it does quiet your gun and marks the M60's considerable spread down by quite a considerable amount it also severely limits your effectiveness at longer ranges. Honestly its down to personal preference with this one, I can't stand the bloody thing :P
Foregrip: The dark horse itself. Whereas the benefits of using a foregrip on the M60 are fairly apparent (ESPECIALLY when used with the Flash Suppressor) and by no means useful it does have the bad habit of making an already woefully inaccurate gun even more so. Personally I wouldn't use this unless you want to use it with something that will make up for the accuracy drop.

Setups:

"Ratatatatata" - Bipod and Extended Mags: This is the ultimate defence set up. Find a flag or MCOM you like the look of, erect your bipod and kill everything. The amount of suppressive fire you can lay down also makes this a really good set up for attacking provided you have a squad willing to charge forward and kill all the scared little enemies cowering behind pieces of pipe and shit...
"Jack of all trades" - Bipod and Flash Suppressor: This is my favourite way to use this gun by far. The lowered recoil given by the Flash Suppressor means you can take out enemies on the move more reliably yet still put up your 'Pod and mow things down if you need to. Keep an eye on your ammo count though.
"Up Close and Personal" - Laser Sight and Foregrip: This works extremely well if you want to hold B on Bazaar or are a big fan of the Close Quarters maps. You can effectively turn yourself into a moving suppression machine with this load out by just hip firing down corridors on maps like Scrap metal or Op 925. Just remember, your Foregrip will increase your ADS spread so try firing in bursts or tap firing when engaging enemies at longer ranges
"Shhhhh..." - Suppressor and Foregrip: Like the Suppressor attached to it, this setup is very interesting. The negative aspects of the Foregrip and Suppressor seem to balance out fairly nicely however you still have that damage dropping off a lot earlier so be careful at longer ranges. Could be good when flanking A on Bazaar or B on Firestorm...

Strategies and Tips - The difference between a Pig and a Boar!

- The Iron Sights on the M60 shouldn't be underestimated, they provide a really nice gauge as to your engagement range. If you can't see the enemy clearly in the sights DO NOT engage them or use the bipod.
- Tap firing at mid to long range makes it really easy to get kills, the guns kick doesn't get too crazy as to obstruct your target but you'll still be hitting near the maximum RoF.
- Dropshot EVERYTHING. No amount of sugar coating can hide the fact you have the second lowest RoF in the game. Drop shotting gives you that nice little jump on the enemy usually allowing you to turn around an ambush situation with health left to spare.
- Reload only when you absolutely need to, you take a long freaking time to put new bullets in your gun even when you cancel the last part of the animation.

Thanks for reading. Please leave a Like and a Favouri- HAHAHA! I'm just fucking with you.
If I missed anything or you wish to know more then please don't hesitate to leave a comment :)

Everybody's Favourite Worthless Support and LMG Fan! :thumbsup:

Song currently stuck in my head is: Red Cold River by Breaking Benjamin!

Date of registration
: Jun 19th 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Friday, October 26th 2012, 8:59pm

Good review, I was always pissed when I'd read the other heavy LMG reviews and the only mention of the M60 would be "Oh, I never use that".

It's my favorite heavy LMG. This gun is great for almost any role including ones you wouldn't expect it to be good at like laying down suppressing fire, tap firing head shots at medium range, or trying to recreate your favorite scenes from Rambo. Also, it has the best Iron Sights by far, they aren't attractive at first glance but once you "get it" they become so functional. I get tons of kill streaks with it when I use it and since I rarely am in the machine gunner seat on the UH-1Y. Usually using the M60 becomes one of the few chances I get to run around killing a bunch of people while screaming "Get Some!" repeatedly. In fact, DICE should write an article about my usage of the M60. Why? Cause I'm so fucking good! That ain't no shit neither. I done got me 637 dead Russians killed and fifty water buffalo too! They were all certified.

Occupation: Head of Crate Refurbishment and Custodial at Noshahr Canals
Hobbies: Mopping up blood, Making sure each Crate is shiny enough for the next round, Filling in bullet holes, Parachuting onto the crane to remove all the dead snipers, Dragging the bodies of the inconsiderate assholes who died all the way by the trains into the Canals (Though the ladies love how ripped I am because of it), Sarcastically shouting "Bring out your dead!"

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "punch999" (Oct 26th 2012, 9:33pm)

ViperFTW

Suidae cathexis

(2,737)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, October 26th 2012, 9:31pm

Hehe, glad there's someone who's as enthusiastic about this gun as I am :)
I've been using the bugger since I got it, probably level 30-something, in some variation. Rambo-ing is always good fun :P

And yeah, the sights are much more useful than people think. Not many guns allow you to accurately gauge your chances of winning a fight before you fire a shot :)

Date of registration
: Mar 5th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Thursday, November 8th 2012, 2:31am

One other thing worth noting is that it is THE BEST LMG to use at long range on a bipod. If you look at the way the bipod modifies the recoil and spread, it becomes the most accurate of the heavy hitters firing the 7.62x51 round. (QBB-95 with the heavy barrel has it beat, however takes more bullets to kill so I use it more as a hybrid run and gun + hasty ambush type of weapon)

The low fire rate, coupled with the lowest vertical recoil makes it the best for long range engagements on the bipod. Try it with the bipod, flash suppressor and 3.4x of your choice. Counter sniping, medic train stopping rape at your finger tips. Works best on urban maps with predictable avenues of approach and long range linear maps such as Firestorm.

I like to take a flag and then back off it and take up an elevated firing position with a good view of the objective and then defend it. Bonus points for setting up C4 traps for tanks and infantry ahead of time. You can pick up lots of kills and stop the advance of a full squad of medics by yourself. Very satisfying.
PS3/4 Support player Need Ammo?

B log: Progression - Sgt_Shasta - Battlelog
/ Battlefield 4

yugas42

(1,387)

Date of registration
: Sep 1st 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Thursday, November 8th 2012, 4:45am

I would have to disagree that it's ugly... As far as LMG's go it's a fairly good looking one... Great review.

• "Forgoten214" has been banned

Date of registration
: Sep 9th 2012

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Monday, December 31st 2012, 2:49pm

M60 is great. You don't need to bipod to be successful with it which is what upsets me when I see people just run to camping spots and sit there the entire game with a LMG. Play smart, you can be aggressive and you can bipod at the same time. I personally used to love the Foregrip+Suppressor combo. You can destroy people at medium range or close quarters with this if you just tap fire. Never fire more than 4 or 5 shots without letting off unless if its point blank range. Laser, well might as well use the other 2 big LMGs if you're going to use laser honestly. I personally like the M240b more but the M60 is much easier to use, fun and sounds amazing. M240b feels like it wants to fly out of my hands no matter what I do. Foregrip on these big LMGs are amazing for reducing recoil but really increase the spread and decrease accuracy a lot, only use on close quarters maps or if you are running suppressor to complement it. You can take people out at longer ranges without a bipod just tap fire, thats it honestly.

Its not your typical assault gun, don't treat it like one and you'll do great.

Date of registration
: Jan 18th 2012

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Monday, December 31st 2012, 3:40pm

One of my new favorite things to do is run the M60 with foregrip and extended mags while attacking on infantry heavy Rush maps. It is ridiculously good at mowing down defenders both from the hip and ADS when rushing into an objective.

ViperFTW

Suidae cathexis

(2,737)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, December 31st 2012, 4:05pm

Its not your typical assault gun, don't treat it like one and you'll do great.

But that's the thing, there are ways you can turn the M60 into an AR with a big clip. That's one of the great things about this gun! Its low recoil and high damage mean that you don't need to use a set of attachments to kill anything, with practice you can make it so any attachments you put on this gun will improve its ability in a certain scenario while still (usually) maintaining its level of ability in its other areas.
:)

One of my new favorite things to do is run the M60 with foregrip and extended mags while attacking on infantry heavy Rush maps. It is ridiculously good at mowing down defenders both from the hip and ADS when rushing into an objective.

I like to go with the Bipod in that situation. As I said above if you're good with the gun you can use the attachments for it more as augmentations than essential parts, a Bipod can be really useful for laying down covering fire onto an exposed MCOM :)

• "Forgoten214" has been banned

Date of registration
: Sep 9th 2012

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Tuesday, January 1st 2013, 2:43am

Of course what I said is mostly a matter of opinion, you could use it anyway you'd like honestly.

ViperFTW

Suidae cathexis

(2,737)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, January 1st 2013, 1:46pm

Of course what I said is mostly a matter of opinion, you could use it anyway you'd like honestly.

Nono, I wasn't saying you were wrong at all. I'm so sorry :pinch: :D