Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "Gauss H2K" started this thread

Date of registration
: Apr 2nd 2013

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Friday, April 5th 2013, 11:15am

M98B: The Long gun

The M98B

The M98B is made by the same company that made the semi auto 50 cal that you might recognize from the modern warfare series, Barett. It uses the .338 lapua magnum round, which is the same round used to score the second longest range sniper kill. This should give you the idea that this weapon is meant for range.

To unlock this long range precision scalpel you need 146,000 recon score, which means its the second to last unlock for recon.
Since its the last sniper rifle to be unlocked in the base vanilla game it has to be the best right? Well...

The Pros
-650 m/s Bullet speed means that bullet drop, and bullet lag are concepts that apply to other snipers depending on the range.
-95 dmg-59dmg means this sniper has the highest base dmg in for body shots up to about 155m. This is actually almost aesthetic based on the fact that all Bolt action rifles usually require a headshot for a OHK for ranges above 20m in core. In hardcore its high base dmg means OHK body shot up to 150m, however past that it behaves like the other bolt action rifles.
-It kinda looks cool.

The Cons
-5+1 rounds in a magazine means this rifle has the smallest clip of all the other snipers, meaning you will need to reload a lot.
-2.9s reload means it reloads the slowest of all the snipers that have rounds in the chamber 4.7s reload empty is the second slowest reload empty
-Second slowest bolt cycle time after the l96 means you better make those shots count.

Classes
Weighing in the pros and the cons to create classes based on preference, I'll rank them from top to bottom in relative weapon effectiveness

:P "The Bush Wookie" This weapon is made for those snipers who want to sit on a hill far away watching the battle unfold
Optimal Range 400+m
optics: 12x, so you can spot out distant targets while they barely see your glint
central accessory: bipod, this is to help gauge where your bullet lands on distant targets, if you feel supremely confident that you know where your bullet will land use SPB.
side accessory: laser sight, The up button on the dpad exists to turn this accessory on or off, considering it only has a negative when on, you might as well use it
Side arm: Any. The one you feel you can use in a pinch
2nd gadget: Any, you'll barely use it, MAV to find enemy snipers from a concealed position, Soflam, to annoy air vehicles, or as a decoy. Crossbow for another weapon, and explosive bolts to "take out" annoyed players who come at you with vehicles

strategies: Your strength is now the ability to reach out and kill people, the distance you put between yourself and your target will be your stealth as you have a very loud gun. As key while playing recon, its not about sitting atop a mountain so you can "see" everything, rather its about positioning yourself to watch an objective that you can defend well from far away. As mentioned the distance you place between yourself and the target is your stealth, I would recommend a distance of about 450m from the target you wish to defend, as this correlates to roughly the first line below the central crosshairs. This classes strength is in hardcore without kill cams, as the point is to pick a superior stealthy spot and not move. This class loses its greatest asset of distance stealth in core, when there exists kill cams, which renders long term spot camping pointless. If core is you're preference then I recommend

:thumbup: "The Sniper Recon" This is your pretty generic sniper class
Optimal Range 100-400m
optics: 7x/8x your choice for mid level zoom, this allows you enough peripheral vision to pick out one of several targets, while still granting a good level of zoom.
central accessory: your choice, if you want to play a mobile mid range sniper use the SPB to hasten your abyssmal cycle rate, if you prefer finding a spot doing some damage then moving then go bipod.
side accessory: laser sight see previous class
2nd gadget: Depends on the situation, as a default I prefer crossbow

strategies: This generic sniper class will works basically the same no matter what bolt action you use. Just be aware of the shortcomings of this weapon, and it will suit you fine. What you would do is find a good fallback point behind the lines to place your spawn beacon, so your squad can get back into the fight relatively quickly. Your choice of second gadget will affect how you support your squad/team. The beauty of this class is that it works equally well on core as well as hardcore, if you are good at pulling off headshots.

:love: "The gun master" This is for aggro sniping, yet this weapon is not
Optimal Range: 50-200m
optics: 4x or less, your preference to eliminate glint.
central accessory: SPB, positioning isn't as important for this class as its meant to be mobile
side accessory: laser sight, see first class reasoning
2nd gadget: tugs if defensive, crossbow if offensive

strategies: This class is only here if you're interested in mastering all aspects of this weapon, so that you can use it at any range. Your role will be similar to the generic sniper class, but you've just halved your engagement range. This class will do much better in hardcore due to the high dmg of the weapon, but that will not offset its cons. Barring the L96, this role can be easily performed better by any other sniper rifle.

:cursing: "The Troll" Lol they so mad at the 1337 skillz
optimal range: Lol
optics: iron sights lol
central accessory: SPB or none if really troll
side accessory: suppressor for teh long riflez
Side arm: lol you don't need one
2nd gadget: lol doesn't matta

strategies: Inflict as much rage while having teh most fun. Bonus points for getting kicked. A victory for getting banned using this. Winning Battlefield if you manage to get not only yourself banned, but sniper rifles in general get banned on the server after you. a x2 multiplier if done in core.

Attachments to avoid
optics:<3.4x this is not a weapon to use up close
central accessory suppressor and tac light this weapon's main strength is its bullet speed when you equip a suppressor you take away its main advantage, for only a little stealth, tac light requires no higher logic to explain its uselessness on bolt actions.

The Verdict
This is a long range precision weapon. It was made to be used at a range where the cycle rate won't be as important as the bullet speed, which means far away. This weapon works well in hardcore where its damage, and bullet speed will actually mean something, and its shortcomings can negated by stealthy positioning. In core this weapon only use is its low bullet drop. Because of console rendering, you will not be able to see prone targets 900+ meters away, which means this rifle's strength is gimped. If you are looking for a sniper rifle to best support the team, this is not it, as the other sniper rifles fulfill the sniper support role a lot better. Check out the other reviews to see which sniper would fit the sniper role you want to play. I would only recommend this sniper rifle if, assuming you leveled up recon using the other sniper rifles, thus getting used to leading and bullet drop,
A) you are bored of Playing the Objective and just want to have fun by shooting far away specks or
B) you want to become a master of extreme range combat, where almost every other weapon doesn't have the range. Even then, the JNG-90 is probably a better choice.
It's been argued that this is an ease of use bolt action sniper, for longer range combat due to the low bullet drop and fast bullet speed. However the fact that it has a small magazine, slow cycle rate, and a long reload means that you have to make each shot count, contradicting its ease of use for people with accuracy issues. Bolt action rifles are not ease of use weapons requiring precision and a longer time to learn than most other primary weapons. The time it takes to learn to use a bolt action rifle well will usually mean you learn how to lead and compensate for drop for that rifle. If you want to learn to just generically learn to use a bolt action rifle, start with the others first, as this weapon's advantages compared to the other bolt actions only becomes NOTICEABLE at 400+ m. As a general rule your optimal range as a bolt action sniper recon is 100-400m.
Feel free to critique my first review.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Gauss H2K" (Apr 5th 2013, 9:31pm)

Cheapnub

Unregistered

Friday, April 5th 2013, 12:11pm

Feel free to critique my first review.

I will
95 dmg-59dmg means this sniper has the longest range in terms of raw damage.

False. The m98b has different multipliers. All bolt-actions have a 1.25x multiplier to the chest, the m98b has a 1.06 multiplier
The actual damage you ask?

The m98b only has MINIMAL extra damage over the other bolt-actions at the early ranges, and after that..it actually does less damage than all of them.
) you want to become a master of long range combat, and thus this rifle. Even then, the JNG-90 is probably a better choice

Depends on your point of view. ALL bolt-actions are 100% accurate, contrary to their real-life counterparts. The difference lies in the ease-of-use.

If you don't want to compensate, as much, for bullet drop then the m98b is a good option. It has the highest velocity, making long-range shots EASIER. It is better at this than the jng.
However, it severely lacks in rate of fire and clipsize, as you mentioned. so, it's equally accurate as the other bolt-actions , has the lowest rpm, low magsize, and slow reload. It is a pure ease-of-use rifle., and that's it really.

I wouldn't really recommend it for "qu1ckl33tn0c0dsc0p1ng" seeing the slow rpm, an m40/sv98 might be more suitable for that. but I'll keep it at that.

Anyhow, decent first review other than the points I mentioned.

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Friday, April 5th 2013, 4:37pm

The review was well-structured; my only criticism is that your setups are kind of hard to read. Would it be possible for you to underline/capitalize the loadout slot for each attachment? That's just a clarity suggestion; it's not incorrect or anything.

Irrelevant balance discussion

M98B--For when you absolutely have no idea how to compensate for drop.
M98B--For when you don't want to learn to aim.
M98B--For when you know that learning the M40A5 would work better but skill is a joke to begin with, right?

I don't feel like the M98B's cons are anywhere near as relevant as its pros. I mean, 6 rounds does kind of suck in a magazine, but if you're only firing 1-2 shots per minute anyways (mountain wookies) then you have more than enough time to reload. On console, a panicky firefight won't last 5-6 seconds, so the "small" magazine is again irrelevant. It would be like giving the M249 a 400-round belt and the spread of the M16 but a 45-second empty reload (maintaining its short one). Well, it has a drawback, but it's completely irrelevant.

The M98B has managed to completely ruin sniper rifle balance. There really isn't a reason to use a bolt-action other than the M98B (given that quickscoping isn't a thing on console since aiming for the upper chest tends to be harder). And even if quickscoping was a thing, it would be either the M40 or the M98B.
Emperor Nick of the Cult of Defibrillation
Sith Deity of Thread-Killing

I'm basically just a degenerate weeb who doesn't post much nowadays.

I'm secretly Old Man Symthic

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Words of Wisdom (not really)

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

You're fedorable :love:

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

I have the highest postcount. Nick doesn't count.

Quoted

23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm -
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Okay
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm stabbing everyone
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Bye guys
23:44 Nick: *flips table*
23:44 Legion: Bye, happy stabbing
23:44 *** Lt_Col_Jesus quit (Quit: off to murder the public at large).

Quoted

10:41 LB: You just...reanimated Steve Jobs.
10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

... fuck. Damn you hindsight!

Quoted

23:58 Failure117: CAUSE IM FREEE
23:58 Nick: AS A BIIIIRD NOW
23:58 Failure117: FREEE OF NICK'S WORM RAPE

Quoted

ViperFTW: HEY LOOK
ViperFTW: AN ALIEN LASER FISH THE SIZE OF THE SUN
ViperFTW: I WANT TO SWAT IT WITH MY COMICLY LARGE SWORD
ViperFTW: WITH
ViperFTW: THIS
ViperFTW: AS
ViperFTW: MY
ViperFTW: FUUUUCKING SOUNDTRACK :DDDD
(the album in question)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, April 5th 2013, 6:35pm

I will edit my review accordingly, thanks for the info.

Quoted

I wouldn't really recommend it for "qu1ckl33tn0c0dsc0p1ng" seeing the slow rpm, an m40/sv98 might be more suitable for that. but I'll keep it at that.

@ cheapnub

The only reason to use it <100 m aggressively is learning to use the rifle at all ranges. The only reason I put that class there are for people who want to get a feel for the rifle.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Gauss H2K" (Apr 5th 2013, 7:56pm)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, April 5th 2013, 7:51pm

The M98B has managed to completely ruin sniper rifle balance. There really isn't a reason to use a bolt-action other than the M98B (given that quickscoping isn't a thing on console since aiming for the upper chest tends to be harder). And even if quickscoping was a thing, it would be either the M40 or the M98B.

In 1v1 one shot scenarios the M98B on paper is the choice, but in most other scenarios besides mountain sniping, the M98B is easily outclassed by the other rifles. The reason its used so often is because of the CoD mentality of last unlock=best unlock. The Bolt action that is arguably op compared to the rest of its class is the JNG-90, 10+1 rounds means less reload, same cycle rate as the m98B, third fastest bullet which doesn't really matter in the ideal 100-400m range, arguably easier to unlock, and it gets the most ammo of any bolt action rifle while doing basically the same damage as the rest of them. The only reason to use the m40 instead is its fast cycle rate with SPB. I use the M98B solely because that is the bolt action I learned, if I were to begin again to choose a bolt action to solely learn, no contest JNG.

Date of registration
: Sep 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Friday, April 5th 2013, 8:04pm

It took me several games, a bipod and a 12x Scope to get that damn 350m+ Headshot with the L96 on Kharg Rush from the upper deck of the carrier.
The next round, as a defender, I scored my (until today) longest headshot kill...558m against a poor bipoded L96 guy on that same carrier. Using a M98B. With an ACOG.
Nuff said.

Nice review though.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

hunturk

Owner Of The World's Most Powerful Neck

(1,652)

Date of registration
: Aug 4th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 17

Friday, April 5th 2013, 8:22pm

This would be 100% better if you put either a full stop or a colon after "M98B", in the title.
Personally, i don't take a stance on whether or not there is a creating entity because i'm humble enough to realize, in my fucking insignificance, the concept escapes my comprehension with a lead of 9001 light years.
RIP SRAW

Wadayoutalkenabeet

Oscar and Moe <3

Date of registration
: Oct 15th 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Friday, April 12th 2013, 3:10pm

CoD mentality of last unlock=best unlock

Is it not that also the role playing games mentality as well as pure logic mentality?, you put more hours in, you grind through unlocks, it is only natural that you should be rewarded with better weapons?
The m98b only has MINIMAL extra damage over the other bolt-actions at the early ranges, and after that..it actually does less damage than all of them.

At longer ranges, there is a greater possibility of target being unaware of you so you have more time for your shot hence there is a less of a chance of sniper missing a headshot and requiring second bullet, SV98 does only 50 dmg at range, meaning that even 2 body shots will not kill through med pack.
And bolt actions only advantage over other rifles is headshot OHKO at any range, so using them has always been headshot or go home thing.
Therefore, bullet velocity coupled with damage model is the most important bolt action thread, I would use M98B over any other even if it was 1+1 bullet instead of 5+1, I cannot imagine on any platform more than 6 players just standing there next to each other doing nothing while getting killed by a sniper, couple of kills then relocate I would imagine being more likely of an occurence. Good review.

Date of registration
: Apr 16th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Monday, April 15th 2013, 9:02pm

I'm using quite a lot of sniper guns but definitely the m98 is the best one.
I have been using m40 for a while but I noticed that around 20-30% of my body hits is not killing the enemy... it was frustrating. I changed to M98 and I had to double hit the enemy around 5-10%... otherwise they were dead at first shot. I'm talking about sniping in distances around 50 - 300m.
Short magazine is not a very big problem because you have some time to reload when you are in sniping posiotion.
Good luck!
JOIN MY PLATOON - GROM TEAM (we use AN-94)

hunturk

Owner Of The World's Most Powerful Neck

(1,652)

Date of registration
: Aug 4th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 17

Monday, April 15th 2013, 9:17pm

I still prefer the JNG and the M40. When I was grinding my last 100 kills to 1k, it was actually painful. I got so bored of only having 5+1, if there was a situation with 3+ people I often times found myself reloading with that last guy still alive and had to rely only my .44/REX more than I should have.
Personally, i don't take a stance on whether or not there is a creating entity because i'm humble enough to realize, in my fucking insignificance, the concept escapes my comprehension with a lead of 9001 light years.
RIP SRAW

Wadayoutalkenabeet

Oscar and Moe <3