Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Henrik" started this thread

Date of registration
: May 30th 2012

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Saturday, September 22nd 2012, 8:02pm

Introduction to the study of the M4A1

Hello fellow symthicians!!

As I promised, here's my review on the M4A1.

I'll write only about the M4A1 used in the game, not in real life because everyone knows about it and we are interested in the carbine used in the game, not in real life.

Overview

The M4A1 is an American carbine that has a good combination of stats and performance. It doesn't have the best spread, the best rate of fire, the highest damage and more; but it has and intermediate value for them. That's what makes it good for almost all kinds of combat.

Although it's used by the US side, it can be unlocked for the RU side after 145000 Engineer points.

It has a moderate vertical recoil and horizontal recoil. The horizontal recoil is very predictable and it pushes the gun slightly to the right. Teh vertical recoil sometimes makes you miss some shots because of the high first shot multiplier (x2.8), but this can be counterd by burst firing.

Stats

What makes the M4A1 a good weapon is its versatility: it can be used in almost every kind of combat, with some exceptions that I'll explain later.

The M4A1 has a moderate spread, moderate recoil and the fastest reload time for carbines.

I'll explain how it behaves without any attachments; later, in the Attachments tab, I'll tell you how it can be used to its max.

It has an 0.4 ADS spread (standing still) and 0.8 (on the move), that makes it a little bit handicapped before assault rifles (the M4A1 is carbine, thus it has a shorter barrel)

Its 800 RPM makes it balanced with other carbines considering it's like a "jack of all trades carbine", it's in the middle of the extreme carbines of the game (SCAR-H and MTAR).

It has 0.26 vertical recoil and 0.1 to the left and 0.4 to the right; it has a easily predictable recoil that pushes the sight to the right and is almost imperceptible in short bursts (3 or 4 shots); but if you try it in full auto, you'll start missing shots by the 7th or 8th shot onwards (while ADS of course).

Its reload times of 1.85s with a bullet left and 2.48s on empty mags make this gun really useful specially when you have to reload in firefights.

Tips and usability

The M4A1 is a good all-around carbine, so you can use it in many situations throughout the maps.

At close and mid range, its 800 RPM makes it almost unbeatable, depending on your level of skill, and quick killing.

Now, when you talk about long range, here's the downside of it: It has 14.3 damage beyond 50 meters, which makes you take 7 torso shots or 4 headshots to kill someone. This brings 2 issues on it:

- It makes the Heavy Barrel a mandatory attachment for open maps.

- It makes the M4A1 not recommended for counter-sniping or long range supressive fire.

Its hipfire is not good as well; unless you're using a laser, don't try to hipfire from 12 meters or farther. In this case, it's better to aim down the sights and take the shots by yourself. Remember, you're not using a machine gun, you only have 30 rounds and they waste very quickly (check the 800 RPM).

It's x2.8 first shot multiplier makes it really weird to use specially in short bursts, and that may make you think: "If I have to use it in short bursts, isn't it better to use the M4?"

No. There'll be some situations where you'll need full auto fire and you'll forget to press the trigger fastly. It's recommended to control the bursts by yourself.

Attachments

Optics:

The M4A1 fits well with many sights in the game.

The Reflex, the American Holo, ACOG, PK-A (3.4x), and the Kobra fit the M4A1 perfectly depending on how you use it.

Don't use sniper scopes (6x, 7x, or the 12x) on it, you're not going to engage a target at such a long distance. Even if you do, the spread doesn't let you to hit the shots (It's a carbine, not a sniper rifle). If you need to shoot someone really that far, do something more intelligent than wasting ammo: warn your teammates about him; or try to get closer to him.

Second Slot:

The second slot only allows you to choose 2 attachments: the bipod or the foregrip.

- Foregrip

The foregrip is only justifiable when you have a huge lateral recoil, or unpredictable recoil. That's not the case of the M4A1.

The M4A1 doesn't need it; moreover, the foregrip increases long range spread, that's all you DON'T need on a carbine.

- Bipod

Seriously? What are you thinking? If you want to blur everyone's screen, choose a Support, not an Engineer.

I leave the second slot empty almost all the time.

Third Slot:

Well, well...
The third slot is what makes you decide how you're gonna play.

- Heavy Barrel

The Heavy Barrel increases recoil and hip spread but decreases the ADS spread by 75%. It is mandatory for open maps that require long shots. Moreover, the M4A1's recoil is not insane like the SCAR-H's recoil, which makes the Hbar practical for the M4A1.

The Heavy Barrel brings the ADS spread form 0.4 to 0.1, which makes it almost on par with some assault rifles.

- Laser Sight

The Laser Sight only decreases hipfire spread (by 50%), which makes it perfect for CQB role. The M4A1 doesn't have a good hip spread, but with a laser you can start thinking twice about not hipfirng with it.

- Suppressor

Oh, I see you like to play the Sam Fisher/James Bond/Solid Snake thing.

Long story short: only use the Suppressor whenever you're playing TDM, SQDM.

The Suppressor ruins long and mid range performance.

- Flash Suppressor

Another unnecessary attachment. The M4A1 already has a low recoil.

It only reduces recoil by 20% and increses hip spread by 20%; the M4A1 has a not very good hip spread and you want to make it worse?

Conclusion

The M4A1 is, by far, the best Engineer carbine. Its combinations of stats give it a good performance in every situation.

The SCAR-H has a good damage and good spread, which make it good for long range; but its 600 RPM makes you lose every head on engagement.
The MTAR has an insane 900 RPM, you can outgun anything that is not a shotgun in close range. But its 0.5 spread makes you think twice before shooting someone at 70m+.
The M4A1 has a good spread, good recoil, good RPM that make it work in every combat.
You just have to be adapted to it.

That's it guys. I hope you enjoy it.

Considering that the M4A1 is very versatile, it can be used in an infinite number of roles; so I'll leave the setups for you guys.

See ya.

GT: CarlosH2190

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Autosynthesis" (Sep 23rd 2012, 2:37am) with the following reason: Disabled Smilies to prevent numbers turning into smilies unintentionally. Added prefix.

This post by "Requisix" (Sunday, September 23rd 2012, 2:27am) has been deleted by user "rainkloud" (Tuesday, September 25th 2012, 5:54am) with the following reason: Per poster's request

Contortrix

Professional Ninja

(507)

Date of registration
: May 27th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Sunday, September 23rd 2012, 2:35am

Shush you.

Decent review, but you should work on the formatting. Make the headlines size 14. Less empty lines during paragraphs.
Oh and, why do people not disable smilies. Do you not look over your final post or something?

Date of registration
: Apr 27th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Monday, September 24th 2012, 3:32pm

No, shush you.

But meh, I guess it's a good review in that it's clear and easy to understand. Just... it'd be much better if the weapon was different.
Symthic?

The McGoat

The McMoose Murderer

(563)

Date of registration
: Apr 26th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Monday, September 24th 2012, 9:42pm

very nice review carlos

• "Henrik" started this thread

Date of registration
: May 30th 2012

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Tuesday, September 25th 2012, 12:27am

Guys, do you think that only hipster guns should be reviewed??
Because this M4A1 reviewe wasn't well received at all.

GT: CarlosH2190

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

The McGoat

The McMoose Murderer

(563)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Tuesday, September 25th 2012, 2:13am

Guys, do you think that only hipster guns should be reviewed??
Because this M4A1 reviewe wasn't well received at all.
No, you are right. Requisix is just being an asshole on every single one of these reviews, ignore him. It was a nice review and I for one liked it a lot.

Failure117

cheap kitchen leeds

(76)

Date of registration
: Jun 27th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Tuesday, September 25th 2012, 4:32am

Requisix, shush. Nobody appreciates your hipster criticism.

Good review Carlos! Almost 13k kills and counting :P
GT: F4ilure 117.
Unholy Leader of the Order of q.

Date of registration
: Apr 27th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Tuesday, September 25th 2012, 11:56am

OK then, I change my stance on this review. It's perfect in the sense of a review; detailed, informative, you've told me about the weapon. But I personally would like it if there was an extra, interesting element to the review which would be in the form of an interesting weapon. Thanks for the effort, good review.
Symthic?

Date of registration

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Tuesday, September 25th 2012, 2:40pm

OK then, I change my stance on this review. It's perfect in the sense of a review; detailed, informative, you've told me about the weapon. But I personally would like it if there was an extra, interesting element to the review which would be in the form of an interesting weapon. Thanks for the effort, good review.

Well, if this project is ever to be completed, "boring" weapons such as this and the M16A3 will need to be reviewed.
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness."
- U.S. Declaration of Independence