Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

• "Nick 30075" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Friday, March 2nd 2012, 7:29am

M26 MASS review by Nick 30075

SCROLL DOWN TO THE SECOND POST FOR THE UP-TO-DATE REVIEW

Quoted from ""Sokolovac""

LOL!

Thank you Soko, thank you so VERY much. :) :) :) You know how much I love this thing!

DAT MASS, the M26 Lightweight Shotgun System, was developed to replace older, more cumbersome breaching shotguns. Available as a standalone shotgun, or capable of being mounted on some Assault Rifles with Underslung Rails, the M26 is able to fire Shot, Flechette, Frag, and Slug rounds. It was developed to be mounted on the M16 and M4. In-game, it fits on the underslung rails of the G3A3, M416, and M16.

The best ammunition type is Dart. After the upcoming patch, it will be either Buckshot or Slugs. Which one has yet to be determined.

Sidearms:
If you are using the M26, you have a "sidearm" already that's tailor-made for close range. I would strongly recommend using either the '44 Magnum or the '44 Scoped as a sidearm when using the MASS as those pistols perform the best at long range. You'll be using your pistol to finish off enemies at longer distances that your rifle was unable to kill.

The M26 is most commonly used to compensate for a primary weapon that has reduced versatility at close range. However, I would recommend using the 320 Buck in that role. The MASS is best used to add versatility to your setup, not to act as a crutch for your primary.

The M26 is a powerful flanking weapon. Allied Spawn Beacons are incredibly useful with it. When approaching a group of enemies, start firing from approximately 7m. You are trying to use your first two shots to deal damage and your third shot to get a kill or four. Approach from the side, not the back! This is counter-intuitive, I know. However, the M26's low fire rate of 90rpm (one shot per .67 seconds) means that you will be incredibly vulnerable to attacks from behind--and you never know who's lagging behind the squad you're attacking. You are more likely to be spotted and be shot at by the endangered enemies but you are less likely to die in such engagements.

The M26 works best in flanking situations. Since it only fires a single shot for a kill at less than 5m or so, you will not appear on the map for as long as you would firing a burst from a non-suppressed assault rifle. It also functions incredibly well in 3-v-1 scenarios. An AEK will not take out three enemies on one clip reliably. A MASS will do so with ease.

Equipping it on an underslung rail with a flashlight can make it into a very effective weapon with which to hit enemies from the front. This is best when clearing out buildings (Seine Crossing, first base, Rush, if the attackers get above B). Usually, I use it as a stand-alone weapon since I'd rather use its iron sights than a holosight (which is what I run on most guns).

You can use it with basically any weapon. I really like it with the L85, and I have a clanmate that uses the AK74M with the M26--he loves the combination. The accuracy of the L85/AK74M basically give you a sniper rifle primary and an 870 secondary; however, you can use both at medium range and the L85/AK74M can both function at close range, if the user has enough experience with the respective weapons. In this case, you're not using the M26 as a crutch, you're using it based on the situation--like when you don't know how many people are on the staircase above you.

Personally, my favorite weapon to use the M26 with is the M416. The M416 functions well at any range and the M26 just gives your setup a significant amount of versatility. I'm currently using:
M416 (Holosight, Foregrip, Laser Sight)
M26 Dart
'44 Scoped

If you want medkits and you need a CQC solution, honestly, the Raffica is a boss. If your primary needs a crutch, the M26 is not the best choice. I'd go with a Raffica+Medkits or a 320Buck+<Something or other> before I'd use the M26 with, say, a G3.

Running Recon in TDM with 870 (Iron Sights, Extended Mags, Flechettes) would be good practice for getting down the M26's effective ranges. I'd recommend Damavand Peak or Kharg Island for this.

Don't reload until you get down to less than 4 rounds in your clip. The M26's long reload can make adding only one more shot to the weapon a disastrous mistake. That's the problem I see a lot of people having with the Mass--they fire one shot and think that it's an 870, spend the next three seconds reloading and get killed while doing so. It's an odd transition for me to not reloading constantly, but with the M26, I feel like it's better technique.

Why the other ammunition types are (currently) bad:
Buck--If you get off a good shot, Buck will kill just as well as Dart. However, it has noticeably less range. Buck is best for players that are imprecise aimers and need peripheral hits to ensure that enemies actually die.
Slugs--Having a two-shot kill at close range is kind of bad for a weapon that shoots a round every .67 seconds. If you miss once, you're dead. And that's if you even manage to get off more than one shot. After the upcoming patch, M26 Slugs will deal 100 damage at close range and will be worth inspecting for further use.
Frags--See my arguments against Slugs.

I find that high look sensitivity is crucial to running the M26. I can turn and quickly aim in for center-mass shots at close range. I would strongly recommend using high look sensitivity with this weapon. With high sensitivity, it's harder to aim hipfire. For this reason, I usually scope in a fraction of a second before I fire. This serves as "braking" when I'm turning quickly and also allows me to make minute adjustments so that my shot is, indeed, directly to the target's center of mass.

Range--expected shots to kill with Dart, % of occasions on which to expect to use the indicated amount of shots:
0-3m--1 shot, 90% of the time
3-5m--1 shot, 60% of the time
5-7m--2 shots, 70% of the time
7-10m--3 shots, at least, unless you get lucky

If your primary runs out of ammunition at close range, and if the target has been hit at least twice, use your pistol instead of the M26--the MASS is highly accurate (same accuracy as 870) and so will generally need a dead-center hit to kill the enemy. The revolvers are also highly accurate and need a center-mass shot to kill, but fire more than twice as fast. I would honestly recommend switching to those IF the target is down to 50% or less.

Random trivia fact of the day:
Due to a glitch, when M26 Dart is mounted on an M416, "killed" is displayed on your screen and on the kill feed instead of "M26 Dart." The kill is still credited to the M26.

Currently at 21 stars, world rank 4, and climbing!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/soldier/Nick%2030075/iteminfo/m26-mass/276225986/xbox/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/so ... 5986/xbox/</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://bf3stats.com/leaderboard/360_wep.wahUSG#start_0_Nick" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">BF3 Leaderboards ... art_0_Nick</a><!-- m --> 30075

(Again, thanks Soko, I've really been wanting to talk about DAT MASS for a while now.)
Emperor Nick of the Cult of Defibrillation
Sith Deity of Thread-Killing

I'm basically just a degenerate weeb who doesn't post much nowadays.

I'm secretly Old Man Symthic

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Words of Wisdom (not really)

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

You're fedorable :love:

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

I have the highest postcount. Nick doesn't count.

Quoted

23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm -
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Okay
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm stabbing everyone
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Bye guys
23:44 Nick: *flips table*
23:44 Legion: Bye, happy stabbing
23:44 *** Lt_Col_Jesus quit (Quit: off to murder the public at large).

Quoted

10:41 LB: You just...reanimated Steve Jobs.
10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

... fuck. Damn you hindsight!

Quoted

23:58 Failure117: CAUSE IM FREEE
23:58 Nick: AS A BIIIIRD NOW
23:58 Failure117: FREEE OF NICK'S WORM RAPE

Quoted

ViperFTW: HEY LOOK
ViperFTW: AN ALIEN LASER FISH THE SIZE OF THE SUN
ViperFTW: I WANT TO SWAT IT WITH MY COMICLY LARGE SWORD
ViperFTW: WITH
ViperFTW: THIS
ViperFTW: AS
ViperFTW: MY
ViperFTW: FUUUUCKING SOUNDTRACK :DDDD
(the album in question)

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Nick 30075" (Dec 31st 2012, 7:55pm)

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, August 8th 2012, 12:30am

M26 Review and Discussion

I was asked to make a quick thread to review the M26. Here it is!
Please note that if the Individual Weapon Subforum is implemented, I would like to add an edited version of this post to that subforum. Consider this post my thunderous approval of the implementation of said subforum.

What is the M26?
The M26 is an assault kit gadget that takes the place of the M320 or Medkits. It is incredibly similar to the 870 with regards to many aspects, like pump-action time, spread, and pellet count. The M26 has a 5+1 round magazine and reloads in 2.4s while the weapon is not empty. It has a 100% threshold which means that the weapon cannot be reload-cancelled. The M26 is a highly undervalued gadget with a variety of roles, from a situational niche-filler to a high-power second primary weapon.

General Gameplay Tips:
--The M26 will be treated as a second primary weapon most of the time. Consider it as important to your loadout as your primary weapon. This means that, for example, you will be walking around with the M26 out almost as frequently as you will be walking with your actual primary weapon out.
--Dart and Buck should be hipfired most of the time. The opposite is true of Slug and Frag.
--The M26 will fill the role that pistols play on most kits. This means that you can justify using a utility sidearm instead of whichever pistol you normally choose to use, unless your pistol is primarily used to finish off injured targets. The í44 Scoped and M1911 Supp. are good selections for your pistol spot.
--While the M26 is deployed, move as though your primary weapon was an 870; donít try to pop people at very long range because the weapon isnít well-suited to this role.
--The M26 can be used to augment a primary weapon such as a P90, AEK, or semiautomatic shotgun which performs well at close range. This gives the player two very effective close-range weapons. This setup selection should be considered on maps such as Operation Metro on which you may run out of ammunition while engaging large groups. The M26 can be used effectively while flanking large groups to mitigate the time spent reloading or can be used as an emergency sidearm. This tactic is particularly effective while playing an aggressive role on close-range maps and modes such as Conquest Domination.
--The M26 can be used to compliment a primary weapon such as a G3A3, AS Val, or AN-94 which does not perform notably well at close range. In this role, you will spend most of your time with your primary weapon functioning at its intended range and you will use the M26 as your primary weapon when you push forward with your team. This tactic is particularly effective while playing a defensive role on Rush maps, either covering players arming MComs or slowing down an offensive while defending.
--Wait until you have 2-3 rounds left before reloading. In general, 3-4 rounds will be enough to shoot your way out of any engagement. Below that is somewhat risky as the M26 is not forgiving to missed shots due to its low rate of fire. Reloading more frequently is also problematic as, though its reload is not particularly lengthy, it may take some time and it is not unlikely that you will be surprised while reloading.
--The switch time on the M26 is slightly longer than it is to your sidearm (by approximately .15s). Against targets with incredibly low health (<25%), you will likely be better off switching to your sidearm to finish them off.
--The outer ring while you are aimed down sights is generally going to be slightly larger than the M26ís cone of fire. Use this as a reference to determine if a shot will likely connect with a target. In general, I would not recommend engaging past 20m with any ammunition type, including Slugs. A good figure is 7m for Buckshot, 12m for Dart, and 20m for Slug.
When engaging multiple targets, perform a ďquickscopingĒ motion to eliminate targets one-by-one. This gives greater consistency for one-hit kills and allows you to maintain use of your peripheral vision.
--The M26 has bullpup movement speed. This means that you can aim down sights and quickly around corners, acquiring and eliminating individual targets while minimizing exposure to large groups of enemies.
--Dart and Slug reliably penetrate enemies and grant double- and triple-kills with much greater consistency than Buck (which does not penetrate). I have only ever made one multi-kill with the M26; it was performed with M26 Frag. However, it should be possible to perform at least 4 kills with one round of M26. Getting double-kills with Dart occurs much less frequently than with Slugs. I get the impression that rounds either lose power or get increased spread on penetration, though this might just be an effect of the nonzero distance between targets.
--In general, I would not recommend using an underslung rail. It is not worth using with Slugs due to the dropoff bug (mentioned below), even if a Laser Sight is used. The underslung rail does not significantly decrease the time to switch to the M26 but has a noticeable effect on the time to switch back to your primary weapon. If the weapon is underslung, I would recommend using a Holosight if using Slug and a Reflex/Kobra if using Dart or Buck. The RDS is much better at closer ranges. You will likely only need the slight zoom when engaging at the longer ranges where only M26 Slug can reliably have an effect. A Holosight or 4x is preferable when using Frags, though Frag is only used as a niche weapon.
--The AN-94 and AEK-971 cannot mount an underslung M26. The SCAR-L, AK-74M, AUG, G3A3, M16, and M416 can mount an underslung M26.
--You do not have Medkits. This problem can be alleviated by killing enemy Medics and using their kits to drop Medkits. When you do this, mentally bookmark the location so that you can return to it if you become injured. The same mentality can be used when eliminating cover with the M320.

Current Known Bugs and Glitches:
--M26 underslung on AUG moves forwards too far while zooming. It also is not aligned with the sights; the weapon fires slightly up and to the left of where the sights point.
--Underslung M26 Slug acquires the dropoff ranges of the weapon that it is underslung on. This makes the weapon less useful as it reduces the OHK range.
--M26 Slug underslung on the M16A3 and M16A4 has crosshairs instead of a circular reticule.
--The M26 will occasionally use the wrong firing sound when heard from another perspective, such as over the shoulder of a friendly player or in a killcam. The SV98ís firing sound is used instead. This is a rare bug and I have only seen it occur three times.

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

Quoted

Quoted

10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

Quoted

Quoted

(the album in question)

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "Nick 30075" (Dec 31st 2012, 7:57pm)

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, August 8th 2012, 12:30am

Buckshot Roles and Tips:
Buck has a greater pellet spread than Dart. Dartís tighter spread means that Buck and Dart have roughly the same chance to OHK a target at close range. Because of this, Buck is situationally favorable. The greater spread is useful when firing from the hip if you are attempting to 2HK most enemies as you more easily saturate a large area with ammunition. It is at its highest usefulness when finishing off heavily injured targets as you donít have to aim carefully to hit a target multiple times. Its effective OHK range is roughly 10m for a well-aimed shot; beyond this, spread and damage dropoff become too great to warrant consistent OHKs.
Buck is useful for clearing stairs as the amount of pellets necessary to kill a target is not affected by the legshot multiplier. A hit to the legs will kill a target as easily as a hit to the upper chest. This makes Buck underslung on a weapon with an IRNV scope incredibly useful for clearing stairs and dark corners on a map such as Seine Crossing Rush or A and C Flags on Operation Metro.
Buck has great power and a good OHK range, though it is definitely inconsistent, even at close range. I've gotten 15m OHKs and I've gotten 2HKs at 5m. The spread is highly variable but Buckshot is a good bit of fun to use.
Buckshot should always be hipfired. Compared to Slug, it has a shorter OHK range but more consistent hipfire.

Dart Roles and Tips:
Dart is likely the most easily-used ammunition type due to its high consistency against both injured and fully healed targets. You will be able to reliably OHK healthy targets with some degree of consistency up to about 12m. The high pellet spread also gives you good game against injured targets as you can saturate areas almost as well as Buck. Buck is better at finishing off injured targets whereas Slug is better at finishing off healthy targets; Dart is the more versatile of the two as it can perform both roles with some level of effectiveness.
Note that for PC players, the Dart OHK range is more consistently at about 15m. This is likely due to more precise aim. In a firefight, the average console player doesnít have time to react and precisely aim a shot at a target.

Frag Roles and Tips:
Frag is the only ammunition type with which Iíve ever gotten a quadruple kill. Frag is usable in three situations, one of which was the magic four-piece. Below are the main three situations in which M26 Frag may be used; M320 (HE or LVG) is likely more useful in other situations (such as killing targets behind cover).
1) Continuous suppression
This is best performed with a primary weapon that excels at suppressing large groups of enemies at one time, such as a USAS with Frags. You will spray the primary weapon as normal and whip out M26 Frag if you need to get additional damage into groups that you are suppressing once your primary runs out of ammunition. You will use your sidearm for most 1v1 engagements and attempt to support your team with Suppression Assists. This tactic is mostly only viable on Operation Metro.
2) Clearing AT Mines ahead of a tank column
In this role, you will be using a tank for transportation rather than as a weapon. You will be using the M26 to kill strings of 6+ of AT Mines so that a tank can advance. Most of the time, a tank will have to stop to destroy all of the mines. This will be a time-consuming process, especially if 6 mines are deployed. In this amount of time, a squad of engineers can easily come up and destroy the tank. M26 Frag can clear out those mines in less than ten seconds. The tank(s) will protect you from infantry while you clear out the explosives. This is best performed when advancing in Rush with two or less tanks (three or more will be able to kill the mines quickly so M26 Frag is not necessary).
3) Clearing C4 on Conquest Domination
Spot a flag which is likely to contain C4. Select a burn spot which contains C4. Apply a Frag round close to the spotted explosive. Even if you donít clear off of all the C4, you have now cleared a burn spot safe from the other bricks of C4. This tactic once earned me a quadruple kill on Donya Fortress when I managed to set off at least six bricks of C4 at once and obliterate a whole squad. M26 Frag is more useful than the M320 as it can clear C4 off of 3-6 flags before reloading is required.

Slug Roles and Tips:
Slugs have incredibly inaccurate hipfire. This is where the bullpup movement speed of the M26 is most convenient as you can move almost as fast as you walk while aimed down sights. M26 Slug requires both patience and fast reflexes. Aim for the upper chest to get longer-range OHKs than can be consistently acquired with other forms of the weapon. Slug is the least forgiving ammunition type for missed shots as you will not even injure targets. This means that it is likely the most skill-intensive ammunition type and cannot be easily used to finish off injured targets. Your pistol is best used against targets with 50% or less health as it will be more forgiving in this situation. When engaging targets past 15m, stop moving before firing the shot as the spread is drastically reduced (.56->.1).

After 90+ Service Stars, M26 Slug is my preferred ammo type, though I use Buck a good bit as well.
EDIT: Got my 100th: Battle Report - Battlelog
/ Battlefield 3

Notes:
1) This is in two parts due to post size limit.
2) I am, as far as can be determined, world rank 1 on Xbox for the M26 when we exclude players who knowingly abused the glitch. This was done by aggressive BattleReport and stats tracking during the glitch era and was carried out by myself and three clanmates. PS3 and PC have a total of 5 players who legitimately hit 100SS with the M26 before the bug occurred. There is currently one other player on 360 with 100 SS who is still using the weapon; however, 8500 of his kills are with the glitch.

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

Quoted

Quoted

Quoted from "Pheozero"

Quoted

Quoted

(the album in question)

This post has been edited 4 times, last edit by "Nick 30075" (Dec 31st 2012, 8:02pm)

Date of registration
: Feb 10th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Wednesday, August 8th 2012, 1:10am

Fantastic post Nick, I loled at 'this tactic is only viable on Operation Metro'!
Forum Rules

Hey guys, lets all remember here that this is Symthic, and we are all mature enough to debate a topic without becoming emotional or insulting. Ad Hominim attacks only demonstrate that your position is weak and that you've run out of supporting evidence and serve to undermine your own position. I hope no one here drops to that level.

Quotes

[Auto's] voice is like butter on the ears

I am quite positive auto's worst fear is a forum with no threads that need to be locked.

Revolver 0celo7

IRL Gunmaster

(351)

Date of registration
: Jun 24th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 8

Wednesday, August 8th 2012, 1:31am

G3 can mount it. Nice, lots of rep to be had.
Altoids...

Quoted from "Master Dice"

11:19 PM Fine I will kill you and film you bleeding
11:19 PM That is close to crying yes?

TruxCaper

Railgun Engineer

(264)

Date of registration
: Feb 9th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Wednesday, August 8th 2012, 1:35am

Nice guide Nick! Are you sure that the G3 can't mount an underslung M26 though? I'm pretty sure that I used it in the past.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Ocelot

What is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven from your flags, and read their lamentations in the chatbox. Lasagne are pretty awesome, too.

Words of Wisdom

Grand Bazaar [ASTHMA] TruxCaper

They added scope glint to remind snipers that they're enormous ass bandits every time someone beans them in the skull with a 320.

Most women in the army are built like tiger tanks
In that east German "Kiss me, or I crush you!" way

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, August 8th 2012, 1:36am

Yes, it can mount it, I'm a derp. I got which one it couldn't mount mixed up with the M320.

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

Quoted

Quoted

Quoted from "Pheozero"

Quoted

Quoted

(the album in question)

Date of registration
: Jan 27th 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Wednesday, August 8th 2012, 1:49am

There was a lot there I did know know about the M26. Thanks for posting Nick. Lots to take in, will have to read it again.

Athemoe

(1,426)

Date of registration
: Jul 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 17

Wednesday, August 8th 2012, 2:02am

M26 Slug is fun to snipe with on hardcore :)
Nice guide.

Revolver 0celo7

IRL Gunmaster

(351)

Date of registration
: Jun 24th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 8

Wednesday, August 8th 2012, 2:42am

There was a lot there I did know know about the M26. Thanks for posting Nick. Lots to take in, will have to read it again.
Play with NIck-chan long enough and you'll know everything there is to know about the M26. It is nice to have it written down somewhere though.
Altoids...

Quoted from "Master Dice"

11:19 PM Fine I will kill you and film you bleeding
11:19 PM That is close to crying yes?