Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

R

tits pls

(2,621)

Date of registration
: Sep 16th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Friday, October 25th 2013, 4:16am

Late to the game, but here it goes.

I think one factor that you are remiss to mention is that as a recon weapon, you can use an SKS in conjunction with a TUGS. More so than the individual merits of the weapon, the SKS really benefits when you take advantage of the TUGS (particularly in a shorter range map like Metro, Seine, etc,.). If ARs have any advantage over the SKS, it is in rate of fire--putting more bullets down range--but with the TUGS, one can just anticipate and prefire any enemies which negates any advantage that is conferred by ARs' superior rate of fire.

ARs have way more advantages than just ROF. Probably the biggest is TTK. In case you hadn't noticed, the SKS has a pretty shit TTK compared to most of the ARS (>700 ROF), it also has slow reload speed, a smaller mag and you have to be a recon to use it.
Plus, if youre gonna use TUGs, you might as well use the AS Val

Date of registration
: Jul 18th 2013

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 8

Friday, October 25th 2013, 4:43am

Quoted

ARs have way more advantages than just ROF. Probably the biggest is TTK
Correct me if I am wrong but I imagine that the time to kill (TTK) is calculated by the rate of fire and the damage at various ranges. Pointing out that RATE OF FIRE is especially important in this regard. When you mentioned that TTK is the biggest advantage, I think this point is very much echoed in my original post in pointing out ARs' advantage over the SKS is based on rate of fire. Additionally, SKS (2.20 s) only reloads slower than M16A3 (1.80), M416 (1.75), AK-74 (2.10) G3A3 (2.15). So, it's slower reload speed is not universally applicable in reference to all ARs. To my eyes, it only has significant slower reload speed compared the M16/M416 duo. Smaller magazine, yes, but it does more damage per shot--so that advantage is negated.

Either way, SKS as recon weapon can be used in conjunction with the TUGS, because I can anticipate enemy movement, I can react proactively and prefire any enemies. No superior rate of fire is going to negate a better reaction time/positioning because of superior situational awareness as a result of the TUGS. Also, dead enemies can't spot.

AND the SKS+HBAR has the best ADS accuracy when strafing in the game; not just of the semi-autos, but of all guns in the game. 'Real' ADS strafe spread values.

Quoted

The conclusion is that no gun ever actually reaches the minimum ADS moving spread while strafing. A weapon's spread is determined by a point on a linear graph that adjusts based on the percentage of normal walking speed that you are moving at while strafing. Most guns move at a maximum 50% of normal walking speed while ADS, but bullpups, PDWs (excluding AS VAL), and pistols move at maximum of 75%. Moving at 50% means your spread will be at 50% of the distance between stationary spread and moving spread.

which means you take the values symthic has for ADS stationary and moving and divide by 2 to find the 'real' values. As a comparison; The M16A3 + HBAR has a stationary min ADS spread of 0.05 and a min ADS moving spread of .250 (for maximum speed, which is normal walking speed). However, since you cannot move any faster than 50% of normal walking speed while ADS, your spread is at the 50% point between 0.05 and .250, which is 0.15. The SKS + HBAR has a stationary min ADS spread of 0.025 and a min ADS moving spread of .250, so your spread is at the 50% point between 0.025 and .250, which is 0.1375. More accurate than the M16 whilst ADS strafing.

Date of registration
: Dec 24th 2011

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Thursday, November 7th 2013, 8:21am

Generally speaking, the SKS is a relatively difficult weapon to "decode" since it's probably one of the most unique weapons in the game. Here's my thoughts on it. It's very powerful, but it does have its downsides that can get you killed. I'll recall one of the last Battlefield 3 sessions I've had with some of my friends (this was a few months ago). We were just fucking around by being useless bush wookies on Nosehair Canals Rush (smite me). Anyways, we're sitting on the aircraft carrier with our long range rifles. I believe everybody was using the M98B, except me. The SKS was my weapon of choice (with a bipod and heavy barrel), and I was having more success than my friends. Despite the bullet drop and low minimum damage of the SKS, the low recoil and spread increase while on the bipod was serving me very well. It got to the point where our guys on land pushed up to the third objectives. So, I was firing my SKS at and killing enemies from roughly 650 meters away (some were headshot kills). My shots landed successively with very good accuracy, and my "firing rate" was just somewhere between "paced" and "spamming" (meaning I was shooting pretty quickly).

I will say, though, that is just about where this rifle's effective range probably ends. Try shooting somebody with the SKS at 1,000 meters, and then your shots will probably fall out of your scope's view due to the high gravitational acceleration of the rifle's bullets (15 m/s^2). As for close range, the SKS is a gamble. If you're consistently getting headshots and/or chest shots, then you have a rifle that kills from about FAMAS to 1337pr0qu1ck5c0p3rz speeds. However, if you are consistently hitting below the chest, then you have a rifle that really kills no faster than the M1911.

It's a very, VERY good rifle, but it can get quite ugly if you get too close to or too far from your enemy.

Date of registration
: Jul 18th 2013

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 8

Wednesday, November 13th 2013, 5:20am

It's a very, VERY good rifle, but it can get quite ugly if you get too close to or too far from your enemy.
Yeah, I think this is key--all weapons have an optimal range; however, I do find that I have a lot more success up close, because of the 1 hit kill potential (if you land a headshot within 18 to 19 meters--41.667 x 2.4 = 100) makes up whatever deficits the weapon may have in terms of rate of fire. It obviously requires precision and accuracy, and there is little margin for error when you engage assault players at these close ranges, but that 1 hit kill potential is so satisfying and addictive. Every weapon's first bullet fires instantly and any time to kill in such close range engagements is negligible, so it really provides an extremely enticing advantage as you can out kill any assault rifle.

Date of registration
: Nov 15th 2013

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Wednesday, November 20th 2013, 1:03am

The fact that it can be competitive with an assault rifle does not mean it is overpowered. It screams of somebody who wants AR's alone to dominate, IMO.

Date of registration
: Sep 19th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Monday, November 25th 2013, 10:19pm

So, you'd expect the SKS to have a drawback, there must be a trade-off

Yes it's totally garbage while suppressed.

If it was as OP as you make out then everyone and their mother would be using it , they aren't so it's not.

FWIW, semi-auto recon rifles are in the holy trinity of "weapons most likely to get you banned", along with shotguns and stiglas...Not only that, there has been a "no skill/nub cheese/easymode" -like stigma attached to them (thanks to BL propaganda), so a lot of players for whatever reason just put them on the shelf and never touch them...